Go back in time

Show more

Empathy 101


Reading is an act of empathy. It's all about imagining what it's like to be someone else. And it can be very powerful! Let's celebrate #BookLoversDay by thinking about how & why we read.

So yesterday was #BookLoversDay and I realized that that quote by @crashcourse is totally true. We used to joke that we would never, ever, fuck anybody who didn't have books at their house when we were TAs, but it became a real mantra even after I finished school. I've never fucked anybody who did not show signs of reading at least a little or was interested in some kind of activity that would help them be in touch with themselves to a certain extent. 

There's something about somebody who can get lost in a book -be it a work of fiction or non-fiction- that makes you think that they can, indeed, make abstractions and be able to reason at a different level to someone who gets their news, from, let's say, Facehook or that 'News' channel. Yeah, I'm looking at you, MAGAts, Repuglyclowns and anti-vaxxers. So yes, based on my spotty (yet slightly prolific) experience, fucking someone who reads is much more entertaining than fucking someone who cannot think their way out of a paper bag. 



So in honor of #BookLoversDay I'll share that I just started reading The Greatest Place on Earth, by Jeff Weisman. Because one, I have more time in the summer and can spend some hours a day just chilling and reading and two, I know the author (isn't that fun to say that we know the author of the book we're reading?). I think it's super cool to be able to actually WRITE a book or a story and I really tip my hat off to people who can do it. People like our very own Dave or Rick Reed, who have their own books (I think that Big was thinking about publishing something, too). Or like Upton, who gets us all riled up with his reviews of fantastic vintage erotica and Bob, who gives us little reading treats once in awhile. 

Truly, I'm really not picky about what you read as long as you read something. From serious books and biographies to fanfic or erotica, reading literally fulfills the need to satiate a sense of curiosity and lets us see the world in a different manner every time we open a book. Also, men like John Green here give me the tingle to mingle. Yeah, I may be a closet sapiosexual.  

I definitely agree with the assertion that reading (and writing) does help us understand other people's experiences and the way other people imagine or see the world. That's why I am so surprised when I find out that somebody who appears to be a good reader actually shows a narrow view of the world and little empathy for other human beings. It's rare but it happens. Surprises are bound to pop up when we talk about people. Many of us got the hang of reading early in life or through schooling but we always have to remember that books exist just for us. We, as readers, are their raison d'être. Reading is an ongoing conversation between a writer and a reader, between two people's worlds. And it's a conversation always worth having. 

So go grab a book. And enjoy being empathic and looking sexy.



Happy reading!

XOXO

Comments

  1. First off, Mr. Green is hot and VERY enthusiastic about his subjects. Second, I love the sign on his computer.

    I do like to read. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to make the time to really sit down and get to it. I have to commit to getting off of social media and news sites and finally crack open some books, either literally or digitally.

    Now off to see some more of Mr. Green. 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love John Green. He could get it.
      And that machine does kill Fascists.
      As for reading, it's such a respite from social media! The mental quiet and concentration that reading requires is such a good thing!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Reading's fun, though I have to admit, writing's funner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      Bet it is. Writing a book is indeed a labor of love. Love for the craft, too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I got lost at the guy in the bookstore, but now I'm back.
    I always find people who read are able to also think and articulate and have an opinion and a voice.
    And those are all good things.

    Sidenote; I met Carlos online and when we moved to having phone calls, we discussed a great many things, but my favorite was when I asked, "Do you read?"
    Well, the phrasing of that question to a Spanish-speaking person is akin to saying, "Do you know how to read?'
    And Carlos snapped at me, "Of course I can read, I am a college educated person."
    He cooled down once I explained what I meant.
    And, yes, he does read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, yes the guy is beyond cute! But he is not in
      a bookstore, he's in a library. If reading is good (it is)
      Libraries are wonderful. Reading materials are free!
      How cool is that? mwg

      Delete
    2. To be honest, I wasn't really looking at the shelves. =)

      Delete
    3. hahahaha
      That man is delicious, I have to agree.
      And you are right, people who read do have a voice and an opinion that can be supported.
      And I love Carlos. Love him. LOL

      @MGW I positively LOVE libraries. They could have saved my sanity several times.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Reading is essential. Whether that's magazine essays or short stories or novels or 1,000-page sagas. I love to read. Always have. Sent to a desert isle with limited items, 5 Tolkien tomes would be an essential. I do love to write. You must email me. 😁 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree, Big.
      It does not matter, literally, what people read as long as they READ.
      And Tolkien in a desert island would be awesome.
      And I love that you love to write!!!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I shall say that you just might love to read what I love write. xoxo

      Delete
  5. I have never been a huge reader. I think it comes form my being so highly visual...and even then when looking at visual art books on various subjects I find I'm putting together a backstory. Some of those books do have written matter to them. But I noticed when I read, which is mostly contained to the fall and winter, I may blow through 3- 4 books then not read again for months, then read 4-5 more . It comes in spirts. My friend Jamie just sent me a copy of his book which I know is bound to be entertaining. Dangerous When Wet: A memoir of Booze Sex and My Mother. I can't wait to sink my teeth in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must go find that book! Thanks, Mads!!

      Delete
    2. Well, you're not alone.
      I know tons of people who are literally Summer readers: they save all the books they wanna read and then read them all when at the beach or camping. I think it's a great strategy. And I agree with Big: that book sounds like a blast!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. We are regular patrons of the library and bookstore and do our best to read. Mrs. Shife and the kids are really good at it. Me, not so much, but I am trying to do better. Hope you continue to enjoy your latest book. Take care and have a great rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is soooo good, Mr. Shife!
      I've had a library card since I'm seven. It's the best gift people can give to their children. And I'm reading like a chapter a day. It's going slowly, but going!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I read all the time. At the prairie? I read garbage books... that way if someone steals them while I'm walking about? I care not. Currently reading Killer Crullers: A Donut Shop Mystery by Jessica Beck. It is awful. As in... I don't know how things like this get published and become popular. It reads like it's written by a committee who have never actually heard human beings talk to one another. And the biggest mystery is... there is no mystery. She telegraphs everything that's to come.

    Before bed, I do my real reading. Currently Dominick Dunne's Another City Not My Own. I like Dunne's fiction. This one is a sort of memoir - all about covering the O.J. Simpson trial. It's a good read, but not his best work. Too self referential and a bit full of himself.

    I love reading. I love books. I have so many to get to, I bet you do, too, dear. I like the escape. I like living inside someone's head. I also like critiquing as I read, and casting the movie... I'm a slow reader. And once I start something, no matter how bad it is... I have to finish it. That's not true if its racist or misogynistic. Or... gasp homophobic. I also don't put up with animal cruelty of any kind.

    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Books have been my refuge and my salvation. Libraries make the best places to hide. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I LOVE trashy novels. I used to read Barbara Cartland when I wa fourteen. That should tell you all about me and my twisted notions of what romance is.
      And I also read in bed. I love falling asleep while reading. It relaxes me. I have refused for YEARS to have a TV in my bedroom. Not happening.
      And you do know me by now. I have a whole collection of books that are just waiting for me. Mostly fiction, but I also have Buttegieg's book that I got last xmas and have yet to crack open.
      Libraries are the BEST place in the world.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.