Go back in time

Show more

I'll show you mine, Mark



I had almost completely forgotten about these photos. They were taken at the end of June and beginning of July and focused on the little patch that used to be my 'garden'. Well, that kind of has progressed to become more of the pollinator garden I had in mind when I started fooling around with plants a year ago. I used to have one solitary lily here. Now there's three. And the white one (which was the one that I planted first) was super pretty all through May. There has been an explosion of plants, thanks to my tendency to buy plants on a whim while looking for some bananas and to some unexpected helpers. 


Some of the plants (like this one) came to be for the grace of ALDI. Yo see, my approach to gardening is: if it's on the shelves, I may get it. At the beginning of spring, I got some bags of bulbs and I decided to plant them. I have no gardening experience, so I basically followed the instructions and tried to plant them in different parts of my patch. My friend told me I'm going to get surprises next year, because some of those bulbs come up one year after they've been planted. I'm looking forward to that. 


The thing is, I never counted on Mother Nature and the little critters that live in the woods just ten feet from where the patch is: the chipmunks and squirrels broke havoc in the garden. There has not been one day when I would come out and find bulbs uprooted and half-eaten laying around or a whole section dug up and messed around. You have no idea how many times I screamed at the dirt. The good part is that now I have many different flowers that I do not remember planting, in very interesting places. One of the advantages that your backyard literally ends in the woods.


The natural outcome of the squirrels and chipmunks dining on the fresh bulbs and then throwing them around is that now I have flowers in several places where I had not planted any. Call it gardening by default. I proposed and Mother Nature disposed. I actually like the chaotic  energy my little patch has.


This little rose bush was a gift, along with other three and I planted them thinking they were gonna die. Well, to my surprise, three survived (one red, one yellow and one salmon that now lives on the other side of the patch) and they have all kept giving me roses since June. This guy here was at the end of one of those spurs, after a day of rain. I'm going to have to read on roses, because I understand you have to cut them a little so they survive winter.



There are some patches of flowers that literally appeared overnight. I think I planted them last year, leftovers of a planter that was hanging in the front garden. I thought they were going to die anyway, so I put them in the ground. Now I have little patches of pretty flowers that are still going strong. The hostas were found on the side of the road in a box in a country road close to Joliet. Somebody cleaned up their garden and left the boxes next to their mailbox with a little 'free' sign. I jumped out of the car and put them in the trunk. Now they live next to the birdhouses. 


This part looks totally different now. There are more of the yellow flowers (now gone) and there's some milkweed I got in a starter pack that is now growing and some more of those daisies. There's also some little plants popping up that I have no idea what they are but I'll wait until next year to see what becomes of this part of the patch. The bricks you see laying around were supposed to be a little path, but I, not thinking that Mother Nature had other plans, created the path before many of the plants would come up and now the path has been interrupted by plants or the steps have been covered by hostas. The bricks came from streets in Chicago. My friend heard they were giving them away and got them for me. Now they live in my garden.


This is another part of the garden which has changed radically in the last month. There's tons of new plants (some popped up in mid-July) and there's now two little avocado trees from an experiment I did in May from a YouTube channel. I have no idea if they're going to survive the winter, but they look pretty cool right now. There's also two little hostas (I have no idea where they came from ) next to the bird bath and some other plants that I don't remember planting growing there. The fucking chipmunks were super busy, apparently. The blocks were in the garage and I decided I wanted to plant something there (again, I blame YouTube) and those plants are doing actually fine. Who knew?

All in all, I'm happy with my experiment. What used to be a mulch pad with a swing set and a sand pit is now a little garden with flowers and bees and insects and birds (I've become a birdlord and all the birdhouses except one were occupied all through June). The bug hotels are doing fine. One was almost destroyed by some creature that dug into it but now it's back up. I have spent hours de-weeding it (fucking weeds) and moving some plants around. There are some plants there I have no idea what they are (or where they came from) and I discovered that some plants the neighbor gave me last year DO spread and I have to think what I'm going to do with them before they take over the whole backyard.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying this part of me that I had never explored: the accidental gardener. I have decided I want to have a 'country garden'. A place where plants just grow and do not follow an exact pattern or design. I'm gonna let Mother Nature do her thing and just sit down and enjoy it. When I'm sitting in my home office, I look straight into this little garden. That's how I notice all the flowers popping everywhere and also the fucking squirrels digging shit up. It's quite relaxing, actually. 

XOXO

P.S. Jimmy and I were both mesmerized by Mark, the man in the title. I have watched many of his videos and they have been very inspiring. It does not hurt that he has big hands and a kind smile. And that peach fuzz in his forearms and that he fills those pants just right. He could come and work on my planter any time, mind you.

And now I want to plant mums....


Comments

  1. I love all the color. Gorgeous.
    We have turned a patch of our front yard into a wildflower garden, and love watching flowers bloom, then fade, followed by others that come up. It really brings a smile to your face, especially when you grew them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too!
      And I so want wildflowers! Low maintenance and pretty. You are right, watching flowers come and go is such a cool thing. Never thought I'd like it this much.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Very, very Nice. I hope you've subscribed to Mark's Garden, I did a while back. His shirtless walk with his dog is simply stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thanks, Dave.
      And I have! He's show me a ton of new things. And shirtless walk with the doggie, huh? I'm going to have to take a look..

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Just lovely, especially those glads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thnx, Debra!
      Those have popped up in places I did not expect, thanks to the chipmunks!
      They're pretty but very fragile. I had to cut them and bring them in.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Damn Avast and their automatic upgrades - - they wiped out my audio again! So much for watching the video. Grr. But your garden is beautiful!
    Roses - ah, roses. The front of our last house was lined with them. I mean thick - squeezed in like sardines in a can. We had a lawn guy who would take hedge clippers to them every fall. They would come back in Spring thicker than ever and so many flowers! Here in this house, for some reason, we cannot get flowers or plants to grow very well. But we keep trying. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Big!
      I have no idea what I'm doing. LOL And I'm loving the roses. It's a burst of color every other week. I thought they would just flower once, but I was wrong. I think I'm going to have to trim them before winter. Have to read more about it.
      And you must keep trying to grow something! So rewarding!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. OMG your a certified Gardner! Especially with your little helpers 😎. What you’ve accomplished is amazing. The indoor plants that you have and the display you’ve created outside are fabulous.

    Now, regarding Mark…I didn’t know that overalls could look so good 🤤. I’m going to have to take Dave’s recommendation and look up his dog walk. Just to see what kind of a dog he has, of course.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL you have no idea how much I hate those little buggers! I scream at them.
      And I have no idea how's gonna end up looking. I think that's the charm of it all?
      And Mark is dreamy and the doggie is too cute!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Gertrude Jekyll could not have created a more beautiful display of flora. The only thing that could have made it better, is seeing you caress a mallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, Jimmy. I'm actually quite into it. Next time, I'll make a video.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Mark can come putter in my garden any old time! Woot woot. Had no idea you had a green thumb, hon. How exciting for you. I have photos of my terrible gardens and the prairie, which was quite lovely this year. I might share them some time. Today is the last official day of summer? True? Very sad. It's like the Carol Burnett Show... seems we just get started and before you know it... Kizzes. Thanks for the lovely pics and posies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mark could take care of my flowers, too!
      And I had no idea I had a green thumb either! I've tried to plant low-maintenance, insect friendly pollinators. I also planted silkweed, but they've not flowered.
      Looking forward to the pics of the prairie! It should be pretty this time of the year!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I love how your gardening by default has turned out, Sixpence. I wish the squirrels around here were more helpful. Excellent job and keep up the wonderful work. You are inspiration to us black thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed gardening by default, Mr. Shife.
      Those squirrels broke havoc in the spring. Bet they'll be back next year. They also eat the bird food I put out.
      And I swear I have not really done much. I have tried to plant things that literally take care of themselves LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. When nature (and poor memory) makes a garden, I love that there are always some wonderful surprises! Your Gladiolas are stunning, and the whole garden is so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Oh, I have no idea whatsoever of what I'm doing! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    7 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.