Go back in time

Show more

'Teeny-Tiny'



I have to accept that I’ve been waiting to find another small apartment to show here. I like apartments, natch. I think I will eventually settle in a (small) house, but I'm super partial to apartments. I have lived most of my life in apartments, even though I grew up in a house and live now in one.  I especially enjoy small apartments because as Upton mentioned, I also want to be mobile. I think I own too much shit that I don't need/use and I would like to streamline my life. I have stuff now because I have the space, but I want to believe that I would be able to downsize if I have to. 

Somehow, the idea of being attached to too many 'things' unsettles me. I have lived with people who are functioning hoarders and too much 'stuff' gives me anxiety. I want to learn to live with less. And if not with less, to learn to live with things that will not make me feel like I always want more. Does that make sense? I think we live in a society where the superfluous means way too much to too many people. I like beautiful things, mind you. I adore fashion and interior design and I'm inspired by art, but I don't crave luxury. I find luxury slightly overrated. I'd rather have things that have history, that have been acquired after thinking about them than things that are just beautiful but that have no meaning. 

This apartment here, for example, is proof that one would not need tons of space to live comfortably in a very small space. And they being a couple, this makes this video even more interesting. It's like living in a tiny house, because I think their outdoor space is twice the size of their actual apartment. I really like the colors they used and how they distributed the furniture in order to maximize the space. The loft is fab. Like they said, it's like playing house in real life. Having things around them that are meaningful because they've gotten them in their trips means to me much more than having expensive furniture. 

It's also New York and we all have an idea of what living in New York costs. You pay for the neighborhood. And as Courtney (I think) mentioned, this is also my idea of what living in New York would be. Living in a place we like in a setting we like it's worth more than living where people think we should live. I don't know if that makes sense, but I have discovered that living the way I want to live in a place I really enjoy means more to me than living in the 'right' place. I know, I know. Having an investment for the future (I know people who live in condos that are worth the same as a house), the space for the pets (I don't have pets and I don't know if I will be a pet parent in the future) and all that jazz. Still, I think that less is more. One person does not need a four bedroom, two bathroom house. A couple could live in a two or bedroom place comfortably. You'd need to know how to deal with conflict resolution pretty quickly. 

Oh, by the way, my favorite piece in this apartment that I would LOVE to have? That chest of drawers from the Brooklyn courthouse. But that should not surprise you. By now, you know my taste.

XOXO

Comments

  1. It's a wee bit small, though made much larger by the outside space, which is fabulous.
    I think I need at least one other room. But I am totally with not having things for the sake of things. What we have in our house we either each brought to the relationship, or have found together in our travels. And they all have a meaning a story and that makes them special.
    I don't like "stuff."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right.
      It's the smallest category in Apartment Therapy's contest. The outside space is fantastic and they take advantage of it, which is great (that space in NY is gold!) And I'm with you with the 'stuff'... I'm trying to be all minimalist and whatnot. It's not working. LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I agree with having too much stuff. I love watching shows like Real Housewives and watching them acquire so much stuff. However, I don't think I would know what to do with all that stuff. When my parents retired and moved to their house in Florida (which was already fully furnished and had stuff), we (my sister and I--my brother was no help) went crazy trying to figure out what to do with all that stuff. My Mom didn't want to get rid of any of it--she saw sentimental value in things like the dining table where we shared meals. Anyway, I digress. I live in an apartment now and I'm quite happy. Although we are lucky to have a garage, not for our cars, but for our stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of apartment dwellers get a garage as storage space. It may cost a little more than a rented storage space, but it’s much more convenient. I know some people who have houses that keep, their cars on the driveway because there’s stuff in the garage.

      Delete
    2. Oh, conspicuous consumption is an American malady.
      And the empty/full house paradox! It happens all the time when people do moves like that. As for the storage space, I feel you. I have friends who live in the city and have a storage locker/space. They know they'll move eventually, but like their space uncluttered.
      I know of people who park their cars on the driveway, like Huntley say. It baffles me.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I like my house. It's part of my retirement package. My Social Security is not enough to pay the rent and permit me to live comfortably, what with rent as high as it is today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure!
      But do you think that they winning first prize was justified? Do you like the colors? Is is a cool starter house for a couple that just got married? Do you like Backgammon?

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Considering the outdoor space, I could live in that. Without the large outdoor area? Not a chance. I'd get to feeling too closed in. Your comment about living in an area you really enjoy: A friend of mine sold his house here and moved to San Diego - where all he can afford is a small 2-bed apartment. A year later, he said he'd rather live in S. CA in an apartment than here in that big house. He's much happier. Makes sense to me. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the outdoor space played a role in them getting the apartment.
      In NY it is probably an April-November option for well, chilling out. In winter, I prefer smaller spaces, to be honest. Easier to heat.
      And I agree with your friend. I am very comfy now, having more space than I've had in years. But if I were able to move to the city, I'd get rid of my 'media corner' in a heartbeat.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I adore. How perfect is that apartment. And so smart. That is intelligent design at work. I like things that are personally meaningful, full of history (as you say) and are useful. I think I am a utilitarian. If it doesn't have a real use... why have it? Why house it? Let someone else enjoy it. And I would kill to have that walk out patio area with the birds and flowers. HOW PERFECT. Thanks for sharing this. Adore. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like it!
      I like it too. They have taken advantage of every single square foot. And I want to become more utilitarian. I do use everything I have, though. That walk-out patio is such a luxury! I love how they seem to enjoy everything they have.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. This is a perfect use of available space. The way they use that shoe cabinet for a dresser is fabulous. But I know something about you Six…where would put all of your clothes? I’ve seen your closet.

    One thing that they didn’t show that I would be interested in seeing is the bathroom. I’m sure it’s cramped and a very small shower stall…unless, heaven forbid, there’s a common bath in the hall 😱.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known lesbians who didn't have indoor plumbing by choice. They dug holes in the woods to do their business. They bathed at their karate studio.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha
      I know, right? That's why I said that I need to learn to live with less. I probably have one too many pair of pants. But they did work wonders with the space. It would be too small for me, but they make it work perfectly well.
      And as for the bathroom? I think it's behind the kitchen. I think this category in Apartment Therapy focuses on use of space? I'm not sure. I don't remember the rules.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. This could be considered a shack or container living. Where would one put the litter box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes! It's like a tiny house in the city! I love their loft bed though.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.