Go back in time

Show more

Epistemic Responsibility


Epistemic responsibility is the responsibility we have regarding our beliefs.

According to Wikipedia

Intellectual responsibility (also known as epistemic responsibility) is a philosophical concept related to that of epistemic justification. Loosely speaking, justification is the reason that someone holds a rationally admissible belief (although the term is also sometimes applied to other propositional attitudes such as doubt).
Debates surrounding epistemic justification often involve the structure of justification, including whether there are foundational justified beliefs or whether mere coherence is sufficient for a system of beliefs to qualify as justified. Another major subject of debate is the sources of justification, which might include perceptual experience (the evidence of the senses), reason, and authoritative testimony, among others.

And why, you'd ask, am I going all philosophical on your ass? Well, because I'm kind of torn about the whole vaccines thing. Not because I doubt their effectiveness or because I am not vaccinated (the answer is no and yes). It's because lately I have learned that people I love and/or held in high regard are total anti-vaxxers. Yep, I discovered some of those in my midst and I'm not happy.

I'm not happy because anti-vaxxers are not often confronted with the effects their beliefs have on others. Anti-vaxxers cannot justify their position and therefore come up with all kinds of unfounded  ideas and conspiracy theories -also see TERFs and climate deniers- to make appear their blind incoherence and lack of evidence as an argument. They do not care about the damage they are causing because they do not have intellectual responsibility, they get their 'information' from groups that already share their beliefs that the vaccines are bad or ineffective and are prone to believe all kinds of conspiracy theories. They accept their belief without sufficient evidence and whether this belief leads to harm to others or not, they have done wrong in my book. Both epistemically and morally.

Oh, 'they're just stating their beliefs' or 'they have the freedom to do so'  or 'they're entitled to their opinion'' is what I've heard. Well, there is not such thing as a 'private' belief (and being entitled to their opinion is an informal fallacy). They are talking about what they believe and that causes that belief (dangerous, harmful, unfounded and unsubstantiated) to spread and cause more damage. Their beliefs can cause harm to themselves and in the case of the anti-vaxxers, to others. Beliefs have consequences. 

Anti-vaxxers choose not to act on the options they have: they could choose to have the vaccine but they don't do it. They don't do it in spite of the mounting evidence that vaccines mitigate the effects of the pandemic and would help them and others stay healthy and 'go back to normal' (they don't mask, either and they congregate with others, so you can imagine how I feel about that, too). Suffice it to say that I have not seen them in a long time, but from time to time they do see some people I see, so I have stayed away from other people I care about BECAUSE of them. 

It's a shitshow and the problem is that I cannot bring myself to feel sorry for people who get COVID-19 and the dreaded Delta variant and get intubated or worse, they die: they have brought it on themselves. It's the most likely effect of their unfounded beliefs and when I hear an anti-vaxxer or COVID-19 denier has died I can't help but hear the tiniest violin playing a tune in the background. It also irks me the position in which anti-vaxxers have put this country: they are putting themselves and others at risk of getting sick (or worse) just because of their sense of entitlement and privilege. Then they complain we can't 'get back to normal'. The vaccine is widely available and its efficacy has been proved. They just choose not to get it. I don't feel sorry for them. They make me mad.

Shit, that was long winded. I should have just said that anti-vaxxers piss my off and call it a day.

XOXO

THEWEEK

P.S. that video is from 2016, so that can tell you that Americans were and still are a bunch of idiots who learn nothing from their mistakes...


Comments

  1. I am so over these fools.
    This morning we learned that 250,000+ children are infected, not thanks to their anti-masking, anti-vaxxing parents.
    My brother is an anti-vaxxer because he doesn't like Joe Biden. Seriously. That's his reasoning. And my brother is, or perhaps I should say was, a very intelligent human, but he drank the MAGAt Kool-Aid. He and my Dad are doing battle over his stance, with my Dad telling my brother he is not allowed at Dad's house without an up-to-date negative test and a mask he will wear when around my father. So, my brother says he won't visit.
    I seriously can't with the stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I cannot believe people are sending their CHILDREN to get infected. I can't.
      And I feel you about your brother. Similar case here, but I positively love that your dad is not budging. Fuck your brother and the high Repug horse he rides, really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Anti-vaxxers, like MAGA's and Qanon supporters, are cultists who have beliefs based on irrational logic. Nothing will change their minds, and they will continue to drink the kool-aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      There's no reasoning because there's no reason in them. Everything is an emotional response and conspiracy theories. I don't mind they dying, to be totally honest. It's their decision. What irks me is the people they kill because they're irresponsible adults.
      Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I think a rant is healthy. It's good to examine our feelings on something fully. I am actually formulating a similar cohesive piece about how people out of fear of feeling 'bad' refuse to allow others to explore a given issue. Anti-vaxxers, people who have issues with looking at white privilege, people who want to prevent the teaching of truthful Black History, and people who think that the whole #MeToo movement is BS - are all one in the same. They're afraid of feeling bad or put upon. They DO NOT want to accept any responsibility or risk developing any empathy or have to change their ways or confront bad behavior or develop anti-bodies because they feel it is intrusive. But we have a moral obligation to the community we live in to do exactly that. Otherwise we don't grow. We don't change. And we need change. We need to grow. Oh, add Climate Change onto the pile, too... denial. Denial is lazy. Denial is also easy, as we have to ask nothing of ourselves. I'm glad you brought this up today... as I think we are all dealing with some aspect of the effects other people's denial is having on our everyday lives. I can't plan a trip to Europe because people in this country refuse to get vaccinated. Hello? What about my rights? What about my freedom? I've done the right thing. I got vax'd right away. ASAP. In the past, when country-wide inoculation was needed, the government posed it as a matter of BEING AN AMERICAN... a matter of national pride and responsibility - we can't do that now because this country's definition of what it means to be an American is terrible damaged and distorted and divided. Thanks for raising this today... I'm still formulating thoughts on all this. But I do know that a sense of privilege, one that folks are quick to defend and defensive about discussing, is at the root of all this denial. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh
      It did feel good to put that on the blog, TBH.
      And that's exactly what makes me mad about the anti-vaxxers and the COVID deniers: their lack of moral integrity and the idea that the community (the rest of us) is expendable because they feel entitled to their opinion. Fuck that.
      Being an American used to mean integrity, valour, commitment. Now it's just entitlement and privilege run amok.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. My response when I hear of an anti-vaxxer who has contracted the virus and died: "Oh, good for them." (Said with an upbeat positive tone.)
    Like you, I recently found out that my brother, along with many members of my family back east, are anti-vaxxers / maskers. They will gather this coming weekend for a memorial service and a wedding. I knew many of them were pro-Cheeto but didn't know there were so many stupid people in the family. I'm so glad I got the fuck out when I turned 18.
    There's a line from "The Lion In Winter" that rather fits the current tone in this country which I like to bring current. "It's 2021 and we're Barbarians."
    We're fighting the virus, climate change, authoritarian theocracy, and we're losing many of the battles. Can we win the war? I have my doubts. The 2022 elections will tell the tale. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be correct, Whack.

      Delete
    2. Haha
      Oh, Big. That's priceless! I may use it.
      And I've missed some get-togethers because I refuse to be unmasked among unvaccinated people (they say they already got COVID but we all know how THAT works).
      And we are barbarians, or at least living among them. I think that with the MAGAts crawling the political ranks, the next elections will be a fight for the soul of America. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
    3. A fight for the soul of America. That's it in a nutshell. XOXO

      Delete
  5. I am just so tired of the damned dumb and hair brained excuses they come up with. Again.....dont get the vaccine. I say let the herd continue to thin. Still has not taken enough foolish for my liking. I still keep hoping it 'll be the 6th extinction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      It's always the same bullshit! The arguments get crazier and crazier as their claims get debunked over and over. So tiring.
      And seriously, I don't feel sorry for them. One less stupid, bloviating person to worry about.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Ok, I'll be honest......Back in 1975, there was the Swine Flu outbreak. People flocked to the injection sites. Many people (not 2 out 1.5 mil) were keeling over at the sites from a reaction to the injection. It freaked me out and I never had a flu shot until this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      I feel you. But this time it was different. I was going to get the vaccine even if I knew I could get a reaction from it. I was ready. Nothing happened. Even the sore arm went away with an Ibuprofen.
      I think we'll be having an annual shot with COVID. There's the Delta strain. And now Mu? It's gonna be with us for awhile.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Measles, mumps and whooping cough are back because kids weren’t getting vaccinated. We were making headway against COVID until the idiot anti-vaxers/maskers got a platform. Now they’re all running for school boards and will end up abolishing public schools.

    I can’t. I’m going to win the lottery and buy an island. You’ll need proof of vaccination to come visit. And bring your mask-it might get kinky. 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like living in the Bronze Era by choice.
      Me and everybody in my generation got all the vaccines and we're here. Nothing happened. Even after the Autism bullshit was debunked, people kept screaming from the rooftops about it. I blame social media for the prominence of the anti-vaxxers and the COVID deniers.
      And I'd go to your island. yes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Anonymous9/18/2021

    South Dakota's governor was mad that the Pine Ridge reservation actually set up an interdict on their own roads over COVID. Yeah, you can't make this shit up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's quite the see you next Tuesday.
      Typical Xtianist GQP.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.