Go back in time

Show more

Naturally


I still remember when Adam Lambert was in American Idol (in 2009!!). We wondered if he was gay when he auditioned and we were elated when he came out. He definitely made an impact. That voice! And I know nothing about tone and pitch and texture and all those things that make a voice great. But I liked HIM. There were rumors they wanted him in the closet. I argued forever that he did not win because conservative media found photos of him kissing a guy and they didn't want a gay American Idol. America was not ready.




Press forward 12 years and he's living his best life. He's toured the world, sold 3 million albums and millions of singles. He sings what he wants to sing and was handpicked to tour with Queen. And he's always been unapologetically himself. Glambert, I think they called him. Because of his penchant for theatricality and.. make up. Coming out did not kill his career. Do you remember who won that season of American Idol? Don't worry. I don't, either. I may have to google it because now I want to know.




Now, if you know anything about me, it is that I don't usually stop and look at the pretty boys, but I think that Lambert is an exception. I think he's got a cool balance of Yin and Yang that I find quite attractive. I know, I usually post about somehow more rugged guys, but I watched his makeup tutorial and was sold on pretty, because I have always found fascinating a man putting on makeup. I could watch five YouTube videos of men doing their makeup in a row. Yes, I have that kind of time.




I think that it is pretty silly that a man putting on makeup could still be a thing to talk about in 2021, but here we are. I know, I know. You barely touch your face with soap once a day, you're the Marlboro man, blah, blah, blah. It's bullshit. If you had his face , you'd probably try some manliner. The thing is, I think that watching a man put on makeup triggers those who still have issues with their masculinity (or femininity). Otherwise, why would they get to worked up? Gender is an internalized sense of what is masculine and/or feminine, dear. It's all in the eye of the beholder. And given that makeup has been assigned to women (they of course, didn't know any Pharaohs) any man putting on makeup is considered feminine. As if that's a crime. Why is it that feminine men trigger all the homophobes? Don't like make up? Don't wear it. (Same applies to abortion and gay marriage). But what is it that gives some men that gut reaction of shutting down anything THEY consider not manly enough? I wanna know. 

I could write three more paragraphs talking about how gender non-conforming is something that we'll probably see much more in the future (not in Smalltown, America. Pop. 1345, but probably in bigger cities) and how the concept of gender, as well as the concepts of gender identity and gender roles will be upset by... progress. But I won't do that. I'm not here to convince you to run to Sephora and get some foundation and eyeshadow. I'm here to tell you that I'm totally into Adam Lambert putting on makeup.

XOXO

Oh, here he's singing one of my fav songs:










Comments

  1. He is a handsome man. However he wants to accentuate his looks is his business. Don’t like it? Don’t look. Why can’t people stay out of other peoples’ business? He has a wonderful voice and a lot of charisma in his performances. I remember the uproar, though I’ve never seen an episode of American Idol, I don’t think.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha My thoughts exactly. If somebody does not like him in makeup, well, there's a solution for that.
      I love his voice and his presence on stage. I think I watched Kelly Clarkson and him and that was it for my American Idol experience.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I ADORE Adam Lambert! I have all his albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG same!
      I have the last two. His voice is fantastic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Oh, there are some great remixes of Ghost Town, btw. Love that song. I do remember who won that year. It was the last season I cared a fig. Adam was so talented - a bit too theatrical, but he's an entertainer, so, really? Is there such a thing? The Xtian artist who one ended up being a cutie, but a dud. He still tours in an Xmas show. Adam on the other hand? Amazing. And Queen, no less. He's a natural. He can sing anything, has perfect pitch, and a range unlike anyone except... Freddy Mercury. I don't always care for his interp... he is a bit 'Glee' for my taste, but he's still growing. And yes, handsome as the day is long... I would love to spank his azz. I bet he knows how to kiss, too. As for make-up? Well... I used to be into it back in my early theatre days... studied it, read about it, applied it. But I lost my taste for it. Though now that I'm something of a wrinkle queen, I may take it up again. And a wig... a bit fright wig, like Andy Warhol. For what is a wig, but a specialized hat? Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Upton. I heart you.
      And I know! I LOVE the remixes! When they cam up on the dance floor, I was so there. And I have never thought there's such thing as 'too theatrical'. It was code for 'too gay', methinks.
      And you are talking about Archuleta? The gay mormon who thinks god told him to come out? Ugh.
      I think what I like most about Adam is that it seems to be so fucking EASY for him to be that fabulous! It's a gift, definitely. He can be a little bit Glee (which of course has its fans) but I really like him in uptempo tunes. And I'd let him hit it, too. I think he's gorge.
      I will rebrand myself a Wrinkle Queen and I will wear make up and will go out with you in matching Warhol wigs.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Is eyelash tinting still a thing? I can remember straight and gay guys doing it in the 80's and 90's. That was when the term Metrosexual started being thrown around.

    Adam Lambert always (to me) gave me the Glam/Grunge vibe. I have much respect for him after seeing his documentary with Queen on Netflix. He should have clearly won American Idol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I think there's even SPAs and beauty salons that specialize in that. I find very fair men attractive and I think their eyelashes are part of their charm that that's just me.
      And I also watched the doc on Netflix. So cool. But not winning AI gave him more freedom, don't you think?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Yeah, like he said in the Netflix documentary: "Of course, I'm gay. Have you seen me?" We got to see him perform live right after Idol --- little outdoor venue (saw Pink there, too). Cost us $5. The man is incredibly talented. He's an Entertainer. The minute he opened his mouth at the Idol audition I knew he had "it."
    The make-up? Oh, please. Liberace wore it back in the 50s. David Bowie in the 70s. America did Adam a favor by not choosing him. Really, they did. And, I'm grateful. XOXO

    p.s. My favorite of his recordings (yes, we have them all) is "Mad World."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Like he wanted to keep it a secret.
      And I have never seen him live. Bet it's quite the experience because he's quite the entertainer. It was obvious even from that first audition.
      And men have been wearing make up for ever!
      I love Mad World!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. And, how could we have forgotten boy George??? XOXO

      Delete
  6. I have never seen one season of American Idol, but love and adore Adam Lambert. Probably the best thing to come off that show, with exception to Kelly Clarkson...but she is getting annoying. And like Adam I enjoy a nice natural look myself. I tad of light bronze and blend powder and I'm out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.
      Probably one of the best. And I like 'old' Kelly Clarkson. I find her to be relatable.
      My friend talked me into a tinted moisturizer and I'm digging it. I think my next step are going to be eyebrows. She wants to take me to Sephora to get some brow products and I'm soooo tempted!

      Delete
    2. There are some excellent brow products out there. Matter of fact Target has one called Twinkle I think it called. My brows aren't thick...so I use a brow pencil to help make it appear thicker.

      Delete
    3. I'm on the Target website as I type.
      I love the idea of bitchy, full eyebrows.


      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I know Kelly won AI. I know Carrie won AI. I know JHud didn't win AI, but she did win an Oscar. And I know Adam Lambert didn't win AI but has had a pretty good career, sang some very cool songs, kissed a dude on TV, and wears make-up.
    He's himself and a lot of us could take a lesson.
    Sidenote: I also find him hot and am a little biased because I like me some dark-haired, dark-eyed men so much I married one.
    Side-sidenote: when he sang a stripped down ballad version of Cher's 'Believe' at the Kennedy Center Honors in front of Cher he killed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly and JHud are, along Adam, the best of AI.
      I don't really care for any of the others? It's a contest that does not do much for me.
      I love that Adam is so... himself? It's refreshing. His Believe was AWESOME.
      And duh! Of course he's hot. Tall, dark and handsome always works.

      XOXO


      Delete
  8. Good voice and good looks, but his real talent is maintain control. If his life were a chess game, he would be the queen... in more ways then one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think his voice is super cool.
      He makes singing seem effortless.
      And he does look good enough to eat.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    2 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.