Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Richard...



I know that not everybody can go to a South American city and buy a house. Quintessence is not your relatable Better Homes and Gardens youtube channel, of course, we all know that. But bear with me. This one called my attention because Richard Mishaan apparently did a 360 with this house. He's originally from Colombia and even though he did not buy this house to live there year round, the idea of coming back to his roots was obviously a big draw. Going back to your roots is something that not all people do. 




The house itself probably needed tons and tons of work, obviously. Many houses in that section can easily be four and five hundred years old. Buying a house in the walled section of Cartagena, Colombia (a UNESCO world site) is not something everybody can do, but it's not impossible. You'd need the dough and you'd need the connections and Richard seemed to have them both (I think I spotted a Botero somewhere in that house, so yes). It happens with all historic districts all around the world, and many people are committed to saving these old houses. It's not a renovation, it's a restoration, as he mentions. 




I love that there's basically three materials throughout the house and that he used local craftsmen to recreate (and create from scratch) many things in the house. The dimensions are massive. From the entrance door to the room ceilings to the inner courtyard where the pool is now. It's a superb house. I also find the white used all over to be right in vibe with the idea of living in a tropical place and I'd do extreme shit to have a house like this. Not as a pied-a-terre, like him, but as a permanent residence. When I've had conversations with people about retiring, I've mentioned that I may move somewhere away from the MAGAts.






I've thought that I'd like to retire somewhere tropical, maybe Costa Rica or somewhere in South America. Maddie swears by Brazil. Thailand has also been popping up in conversations, because my ex married a Filipino guy who lived in Thailand for years and he swears by it. They used to go every year. Who knows? I may end living in a tiny corner of the world where life is less hectic and my hard earned money could get me some nice property. Even if it's not four hundred years old.



XOXO




Comments

  1. As beautiful as old houses are, they are very expensive and difficult to keep up. I live in one and I just left another. You can always double the estimate of work to be done.
    It is funny (odd) , our ideal retirement places and how different we are. The Brecon Beacons is my fantasy place to hide away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      One of the prettiest houses I've lived in was a 1920s beauty. The gutters were old copper and the roof slate. Anything broke (and it happened several times while I lived there) and it was a bucketload of money.
      And I guess I'm thinking about a place where the money exchange would help me. It's all about the Benjamins for me when it comes to retirement... and I love the torpics.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. nice house!

    I hope to be able to resume the good habit of commenting on your posts, as I did before my holidays. For now, happy Monday and happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I thought it was pretty.
      And it's good to have you back, Xersex!
      Happy week!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. A little large, but if I could make it a B&B and scrape up the coins, I'd take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tropical places have snakes and big spiders. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I know! But they don't have snow. And they have the sea a few miles away and I'm all for it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Someone has buckets of cash if they do that to a second home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, money is not a problem for dear Richard.
      And I think this would be his third home.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. It's great when places like that can be restored. We here in the US are way too eager to just tear things down.
    As soon as the wife retires --- or if the Trumplicans take over Congress in the 22 elections--- we're out of here. We're seriously considering Bonaire, off the coast of S, Am. A sub-tropical island, the B of the ABC islands, it's part of the Netherlands and not yet highly populated. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of restoring a colonial home was what caught my attention.
      The details and the care they put in it are incredible.
      And I've also thought that the MAGAts are gonna run this country to the ground. and it won't be much left.
      Bonaire sounds super fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful. I love all the space and the white walls. Very clean. The molding around the ceilings... brilliant. Thanks for sharing this. Even the modern additions work well... I think because of it's size. And isn't it funny... its not cold looking. So much modern American stuff ends up so cold looking - like a conference room. This? This is living. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they did an amazing job.
      The details are fantastic. As he said, he got very affordable craftsmanship and that's amazing. They did a great job combining the existing structure with modern amenities. I love the white and the fact that it does retain the sense of being inhabited.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Of all the places and post you have done, this one reflects most me right behind the Dita Von Tesse house. This had me right at the living room, from it's textures and colors. And I love while having lots of things, it's still clean and not "packed antique shop look" And yes, your correct, I do love me some Brazil and Argentina. I'd move in a heartbeat. And I highly recommend Costa Rica. I love the open air homes. When we went we met a gay couple who had us in for drinks, and their home was also very warm and textural and old world quaint. I love it, and people of those countries aren't so consumed with space, and large homes like here. Most I know with huge home, never even use half the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful home.
      It's done very tastefully and I also love the white everywhere. So chic.
      Love the use of touches of color. It makes the details pop.
      I'd love to go to Costa Rica and even live there. Everybody swears by it. Let's go!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. If you have to run to the door from another part of the house before your visitor leaves…your house is too big.

    That said, this is a gorgeous home and he’s done a remarkable job with the restoration. The huge book case is amazing and the modern baths look wonderful.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      You'd definitely have to run a little in this house. It's not small.
      but it is gorgeous. The details are fantastic, too. He said he didn't want it to look sterile but he wanted that SPA-like tranquility.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I wonder how people who live in places like that deal with mice.
    I leave them alone, and they leave me alone.

    I have a mutual arrangement with a neighbor who comes to help and when she was outside on the patio she saw that mouse that lives there.
    I know it lives there, but we coexist.

    She had a major freakout. She thought it was a tarantula. Hurry hurry there is a creature! She did the whole routine, and even climbed up on a chair.

    All this commotion attracted the neighbors. Fortunately, they have seen mice before and we relocated the wee beast with no harm.

    I will warn you all, a mouse infestation is bad news and you don't want that.

    But this was a poor little mouse who fell into the wateringcan and got trapped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's quite the upkeep.
      Especially places like this one, that are hundreds of years old and that are historic landmarks.
      I cannot imagine what a mice infestation could cause!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    3 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.