Go back in time

Show more

Ease My Mind


I was not really sure I knew who Ben Platt was when I read the name. I think his Netflix series has been on my queue for awhile now, but I'm totally into Clickbait, The Walking Dead and Squid Game right now, so it's been relegated to a corner momentarily. Priorities, you know. It did not click right away that the guy on the cover of my OUT magazine was even gay (yes, I subscribe to a gay magazine, and yes, they've put straight people on their cover before) and it was a surprise to learn that Ben Platt is, indeed gay and that I had actually listened to one of his songs before. So I decided to post it here.




I think it's important to support LGBTQ artists. Not because they're queer, but because they're good. And Ben seems to be a good singer and apparently, a good actor. He's got an Emmy and a Tony and a Grammy. Talented, no? He's also going to be in a movie called Dear Evan Hansen and I did read he was criticized for playing a teen in that movie. Have those people seen any of the teen shows on TV? Besides, it's called ACTING. Not to mention that he originated the role. But people, you know. Always kvetching. 

I liked his song, though. I liked that he is singing to a man in the video (that's Teen Wolf Royalty, baby). As I've said before, I love it when men sing about other men or to other men. 

Happy LGBTQ+ month!

XOXO

P. S. This is the movie trailer. I may want to try and go see it!



Comments

  1. I think the criticism was that Platt played the part on Broadway back in 2015 and that he was very good in it, but that maybe he's a tad too old today at nearly thirty. I've heard him sing, he has a very nice voice, but like casting straight people in gay roles, couldn't they find an actual teen-ager who could sing to take on the film role? Just asking.
    But it is nice to see an out gay man or woman performing, and I, too, love when a man sings a love song to a man..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. I think he looks young-ish enough, but that's just me. Asa Butterfield is playing a teen in high school and he's 24.
      And I love it when a man sings love songs to another man. And then appears in the video WITH a man. Yes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Oh I like Ben Platt and may have had a few under the sheets fantasies with him, like his hands on certain parts of my body. He can get on my nerves at times but over all I enjoy him. I have seen him in numerous things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he's cute!
      And he's got that nervous charm many millenials have. I'm going to have to watch his Netflix series. Wasn't Gwyneth in it?

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. You may have Ben. I'll take Carl Nassib. All 6'7" of him! WOOF!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful song. Platte is very talented.
    Please...It was that long ago that he originated the role on Broadway. Gosh a whole 5 or 6 years ago! He's ancient now, is that it? Plus, as you asked, hasn't anyone watched TV, ever? The majority of HS kids were portrayed by actual adults. SAG rules can create money issues when under-18s are being used. Oy.
    Well, get me off my soapbox. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a beautiful song, right? I like his voice.
      And I think he took the role because he originated it? And he was already NOT a teen when he played ... a teen. And what you say about SAG makes perfect sense.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Unfortunately, initial reviews for "Dear Evan Hansen" are terrible. I haven't seen it, though, so I don't know personally. The musical was a huge hit on Broadway but apparently the film version isn't going over well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I read!
      And it's not the acting, no? It's that he looks 'old'. Maybe it didn't translate well to the screen? The themes of alienation, imposter syndrome and suicide are still there...
      Oh well. Hopefully it'll jump to one of the streaming services and I'll watch it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I like Ben Platt, probably will not see the movie. He was cast because of his name and history with the show. They should have opted for someone closer to the age of a high school senior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine his playing the role on the stage did influence the casting. But they cast people in their twenties to play teens all the time! All. The. Time.
      I may have to wait and watch it somewhere.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. sure they're good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s true he originated the role on Broadway, and I guess the big issue is his age. And like you said, that hasn’t stopped adults from playing teens in the past (I’m not sure how much of the Glee cast were actually teens or early 20s).

    He does have a great voice, and I may eventually see the movie. And Charlie Carver from Teen “Woof?” Yes please. 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Yes, I forgot about Glee.
      And yes, Charlie Carver. Yum.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Have we also forgotten about "Buffy"? XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.