Go back in time

Show more

Indigenous Peoples’ Day

 



On Indigenous Peoples’ Day, we honor America’s first inhabitants and the Tribal Nations that continue to thrive today.  I encourage everyone to celebrate and recognize the many Indigenous communities and cultures that make up our great country. 

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim October 11, 2021, as Indigenous Peoples’ Day.  I call upon the people of the United States to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.  I also direct that the flag of the United States be displayed on all public buildings on the appointed day in honor of our diverse history and the Indigenous peoples who contribute to shaping this Nation.  

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-sixth.

I live on stolen land. And so do you, if you live anywhere in North, Central or South America. Christopher Columbus did not discover anything. He arrived to a land that was already inhabited by peoples and cultures as old as some cultures found in Europe in 1492. What followed was a systematic dismantling of anything and everything that these peoples possessed: culture, religion, language, way of life. Everything they had was destroyed and discarded in order to impose a European view of the world onto them.

Today I'm celebrating Indigenous Peoples' Day, and I think you should, too. Even if you don't have Native American blood. Especially, I'd say if you do not have Native American blood. Nowadays, with so many DNA tests and the handy ancestry apps it is easier to find out about your past. But even if you don't know, I invite you to celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day today with me.

While writing this, I discovered how little I knew about Indigenous Peoples, so I did my homework, as George asked me:


*The Chickasaw tribe
*The Dakota Sioux tribe
*The Ho-Chunk tribe (Winnebago)
*The Illinois tribe (Illini)
*The Miami tribe
*The Shawnee tribe

Who knew? I didn't. There's barely a sign of these tribes in what is today Illinois, save for a few street signs and one or two monuments here and there tucked away in a little park. Where I live now was the land of the Illini, but there are no federally recognized Indian tribes in Illinois today. The Indian tribes of Illinois are not extinct, but like many other native tribes, they were forced to move to Indian reservations in Oklahoma by the American government. 

There are 574 federally recognized Indian Nations (variously called tribes, nations, bands, pueblos, communities and native villages) in the United States. Approximately 229 of these ethnically, culturally and linguistically diverse nations are located in Alaska; the other federally recognized tribes are located in 35 other states. Additionally, there are state recognized tribes located throughout the United States recognized by their respective state governments.

I had no idea there were still 574 federally recognized Indian Nations in the US, by the wat. Why don't we hear about them? From them? The incapacity of the average American to talk about this is scandalous. Really. And as to why were reservations created, I would say because white people's greed knows no limit, but I'll let someone else with more nuance answer:

'Because the indigenous people, I hate using the terms “Indian” or even “Native American”, were here long before the European settlers came and stole the land from them. After the US became a nation and after many years of conflicts between the native people and the settlers, the Federal government decided to set aside land for these indigenous people and made the natives sign treaties allowing them to live on these reservations. Many of these treaties were later broken by the federal government and forced them to live on often smaller reservations in less hospitable locations.

One of these treaties and what I consider one of the most egregious cases involves the Sioux nation of tribes and the Black Hills of South Dakota, that the federal government originally thought was worthless land but later gold was found in the Black Hills and the government decided they wanted that land back. You can read about it on Wikipedia at: Black Hills land claim - and you can watch a 2011 PBS report about at: Why the Sioux Are Refusing $1.3 Billion. By the way, that estimated $1.3 billion in 2011 sounds like a lot of money but if that was divided up equally between all the members of the Sioux Nation would have only been about $10,000 each.'

So yeah. I was not wrong. Fucking greedy people.

Now,  who do we know that are Indigenous Peoples/ Native Americans? Let's see:

Let's start with the eye candy: 






JASONMOMOA. He's Pawnee and Native Hawaiian. Yes, he is. And if you can find me a finer man, I'll be here all day. 


DEBHAALAND: First Native American to serve as a cabinet secretary (appointed by Uncle Joe, natch). She's a member of the Laguna Pueblo Tribe. 


PRINCESSNOKIA
She's TaĂ­no and Yoruba. She's a Puerto Rican singer and rapper. 


IRENEBERARD is a Cree and Iupiac actress. You may have seen her in Westworld or Longmire. Also, she WAS Disney's Pocahontas.


SHERMANALEXIE is a Spokane- Cour-d'alene Native American author. He wrote one of the 'banned books' I was talking about a few posts back. That book is in my to-do list this year. 

So there you go. I'm sure the list could go on (Anthony Kiedis, Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos and many more are said to have Native American blood), but my knowledge of Indigenous People who are well-known in America was very meager. I needed to do something about that. So what about you? Do you know any other Indigenous People that can be added to this list? Where you live, can you point out the actual Peoples it belongs to? How about your ancestry? Do you have Native American blood? This is the perfect day to talk about that. 


XOXO

P.S. if you have basic cable or Hulu, get into Reservation Dogs. I recommend it. These stories are seldom told:



Comments

  1. Carlos and I just had the "Columbus" talk over breakfast, with me taking the "how can you discover a country that's already inhabited" and the "I will not celebrate a race trader and murderer" side.
    I am here for Indigenous Peoples’ Day, but let's also rid ourselves of the Columbus lies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh
      That's a tricky one. But a necessary one. Columbus, after all, literally kickstarted the transatlantic slave trade, no?
      Indigenous People's day should be recognized every year. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Ah...the things humans will do to each other when they want what the other possesses.
    But you see, this is exactly why the evilgelicals do not want these things taught in school: The children might learn how the Europeans treated the native people - learn about the disease they brought to the native people - learn about the way they forced the native people to learn The King's English. They might learn where the term "Indian" came from. (Hint: Columbus thought he'd gone west around the globe to India.)
    I have nieces and nephews who are part Indigenous; Cherokee, to be exact. The land here once belonged to the Paiute, Shoshone, and the Hualapai. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know that the number of people who do not want actual history to be taught is staggering. They find every trace and proof of the greed and cruelty of the white man as a personal affront. And don't even get me started with the living in stolen land.
      I hope your nieces and nephews are in touch with that part of themselves. It's something that should be treasured.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Ah, sadly, only one niece has embraced that part of her; the rest have rather ignored it. XOXO

      Delete
  3. One of the earliest actors that comes to mind is Jay Silverheels, who played Tonto on the Lone Ranger TV series. I just learned he was actually born in Canada and was the grandson of a Mohawk chief.

    It is criminal the way the indigenous peoples have been treated. In addition to Black reparations that have been bandied about, the larger issue of reparations for indigenous peoples should also be on the docket. As you said above regarding the Sioux claim, not nearly enough. Moving them to reservations resulted in decades of impoverishment. And during COVID their healthcare situation is even more exasperated, causing them to travel even further than they already do for quality healthcare.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍đź’‹‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG true!
      Also, for the longest time Native Americans were played by white people in brownface. Ugh.
      You are right. Reparations for Indigenous People's should be something that we could keep in mind. I was reading about the way so many Native American communities suffered during the pandemic (on top of all the other problems they face) and I was aghast. Really. But I also read that they have high rates of vaccination. They have survived decades and decades of neglect and abuse. Their resilience inspires me.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. There are no surviving members of the tribes that were living in Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tells you everything you need to know about white people in PA.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I heard it was a holiday weekend. I was like what holiday??? I agree with Bob's comment. I remember in school out teacher talking of Columbus, and how he really didn't discover America, because Indians already lived here. So we were confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also remember Christopher Columbus from primary school.
      It wasn't until I was in high school that I learned about the controversy and I immediately sided with Indigenous Peoples, because of course I did.
      It's gotten me into many an argument, too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Absolutely, ditch Columbus Day asap and use this date to celebrate Indigenous Nations, history and culture! There is so far to go for true equality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Columbus Day is a made-up holiday. Literally. They used it to throw Italians a bone after they were treated like trash in the U.S. This declaration by Uncle Joe really gave me hope that Indigenous Nations at least will have a little bit of recognition. True equality in the U.S.? We can only dream...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. 12 october is nearing! let's respect every culture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      Especially cultures that have been marginalized and exploited. I often wonder what Italians think about Christopher Columbus, though. Columbus Day was created specifically for Italians in the U.S. but what do people think of him in his homeland?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. For slavery, his figure was downsized a bit. However, I believe that this new hyper-revisionist culture is exaggerated.

      Delete
    3. to tell you the truth, we Italians are proud of Dante and Leonardo da Vinci

      Delete
  8. Indigenous People Day should be EVERY MOFO DAY. Seriously? I can't believe we still perpetuate the idea of Columbus (A SPANAIRD - NOT A WHITE GUY) 'discovering' anything. We have so much work to do as human beings and as a country to over come and help make right what we have done. Imperialism was just a nice way of saying Genocide. And for those who think it 'too' woke? F 'em. The story of Columbus is NOT history - it is fiction. Let's face the facts, Jack. Thanks for posting this. Sorry I am late to the party. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story of Columbus is NOT history.
      So true!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.