Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Mr. Griffin..



So you know by now that I love plants. But my love is not as big as Christopher Griffin's. That's for sure! Given that I live in a basement garden apartment, I do not have a lot of windows, but if I did, I think I would have gone as green as Christopher. This pandemic I think has woken up the plant maniac in many a person. To tell you the truth, I did discover that I really like plants. They bring life into the most barren spaces and provide oxygen to your place. Who knew?

I got into plants during the pandemic in a more serious way, but I have always had a plant or two living with me. I've dragged plants with me for YEARS (I have two that are more than ten years old!) and have rescued and killed so many now that I have lost count. I think that I am more of a plant person than a pet person (I can take care of a pet for a day or two, but that's about it) and even though I have been known to not mist them twice a week, I've managed to keep them alive and thriving. 

Some people take indoor gardening very seriously (Christopher measures the light coming in from South-facing windows!) but I basically go with low-light/ bright light plants and that's about it. Having windows facing only one side of my humble abode, I can only have windows in one side of my basement place. But I manage. Everything I have could live in the rain forest somewhere. 

Like Christopher, though. I find that taking care of the plants helps me zone out and it's definitely therapeutical to just think about the plants and what they need. I think that something similar occurs with people with pets: they focus on something that is not themselves and that provides some solace from things like this fucking pandemic. For me, having plants is also going to come in handy during the winter months too. You know how cold it gets here in the Midwest and in no time we'll be under three feet of snow. I will not be going out to the garden as much as I did during the spring-summer-fall seasons and my plants will still give me the idea of 'green', even when I'm inside and surrounded by twigs and snow. 

I think that plants also give your space a sense of belonging. Many of you have your own houses, so creating that idea of 'ownership' comes from other sources (paying that mortgage is one of them) but for others, that comes from things like plants, that ground and bring that homey feeling that some rental spaces lack. So plants are pretty, they help you relax and they help you feel a little bit more rooted. No pun intended. So what's not to like?

XOXO







Comments

  1. I plant them, put them in the sunshine, and water them. That's it. No misting. No rites or rituals, and they grow. Sometimes too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      I do tend to overwater sometimes, because I don't really have a schedule, natch. I do have air plants and a couple bromeliads, so I do mist when I remember...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. No indoor plants here…the cats ate them, then threw up. So the pets get my attention in the house, and a little gardening outside. I like the pets because the dogs will snuggle up and give you some attention (when it’s time to eat 😝) and they help me get some exercise.

    But I cannot believe the extent that Christopher has gone to. And the way he has been able to spread out is amazing. I can’t see myself having that many.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh, the kitties!
      And Christopher has two hundred plants. I love it, though. That should be quite the watering day, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Carlos is our plant guy.
    I am a foliage murderer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOOO
      Foliage Murderer is the name of my punk rock band.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. His place looks like the house where I grew up. We used to tease our mom about her "jungle." We have managed to get a few to grow --- finally! I think we've killed more than our fair share. We're on our 5th attempt with a Norfolk Pine and seem to have finally gotten it right. LOL. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!
      So your mom was a plant mom? So sweet. My grandma used to keep plants. They were beautiful. And I've killed my share of plants too. My latest project is an apple tree in my little garden outside. It survived its first year, so I'm happy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Ha!
      Oh, Debra. I've even killed cacti. Nevertheless, I persevere.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I am far better with outside plantings and flowers, and flowers indoors then I am when it comes to house plants. I'm sure I even killed a air plant someone gave me. I don't know what it is. My friend has a selection of house plant at the shop, and even he said he kills them, so we have a lady in the neighborhood he calls and she rescues them. We just give them to her. I have tried numerous times with African violets and orchids. I should have life imprisonment for the amount I've killed. But one mistake my friend told me, people tend to think every plant need to be on a window sill or by a window, which some shouldn't be... and people tend to over water them. If it starts looking yellowish...it's over watered. He gave me a near dead spider plant. It has been outside since late spring and I got it turned around, and it's now huge!!! but just watch...Ill bring it in when it gets cold and probably kill it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outside plants seem to be more manageable.
      I just planted some native plants in my garden. They swore they'll be literally fuss-free when they grow. I really hope so, because I tend to forget sometimes they're there. I love that you have your own plant doctor!
      I've killed some orchids (apparently they are absolutely temperamental) but have had air plants for years and years. And I hope that spider plant makes it until next spring!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I had a huge Pothos which grew like a weed in my cube when I worked for that company never to be mentioned. It got me in trouble - so that was the end of it for me. I like gardening outside. Indoors? The Boyfriend has four cats, so no plants indoors. The Ex is an old-lady plant person... just everywhere... the living room is a jungle. I tolerate it. I live in the basement, so no plants. It would be like sending a kitten to a kill shelter. I will stick with outdoors. Even if it is only for six months of the year. Kizzes. P.S. Griffin is cute. I would love to make him giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww
      Hope you still have that photos or at least some of its offspring! Gardening outside is cool. You've seen what I got myself into. And I'd love to see your ex's jungle! I love it when people have tons of plants. And I also live in a basement! Thankfully I do have windows.
      And Griffin is adorbs. Such personality!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Ah, this reminds me of my bedroom when I was a kid! I had so many plants. So many! It was like a jungle! Now though I only have a few houseplants as, like you, I don't have the best natural light indoors.

    Didn't you make a moss terrarium earlier in the year? How's that coming along? I was going to do one, but never got around to it. However, I have been encouraging moss to grow in certain little areas of the garden. I love that when one gets really close up, it looks like a vast landscape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not having the best light has cramped my style with plants a little, true.
      And the moss garden is still going strong! Slightly neglected, but there. I'm going to have to do an update on that and the terrarium...
      You need to make one! Think winter project.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. it's a whole garden in his home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      I find that to be relaxing and homey. Especially in winter.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Probably he needs a gardener ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    9 hours ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    2 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.