Go back in time

Show more

Homo Immortalis



It felt slightly awkward, going back to the movies. After about twenty months, I went to a movie theater to see Eternals, the new Marvel movie. We decided to go to The 400, a tiny, hole in the wall theater in Edgewater. Those theaters have been there since forever and we thought it was not going to be a big deal to go there, given that the movie had premiered on Friday and it was the last show. Wrong. There were too many people there for my comfort (everybody was wearing a mask, mind you) and I got a bout of anxiety at the beginning, TBH. But after more or less thirty movies of the Marvel Universe, we got to see one where the gay subtext became text. Well, that and because I wanted to see Kumail Nanjiani in that uniform. 

The thing is, I tend to go see most superhero movies because as someone who grew up reading comic books, every one of these movies is kind of a celebration of those hours I spent reading about their adventures when I was twelve. My mom had a friend who sold comics and I used to get one every time a new one was available. I was a geeky kid, so sue me. Also, I've always have a weakness for athletic men with superpowers who wear skintight clothing. 

I, contrary to many critics, liked the movie. It was a good reintroduction to a group of superheroes that I had almost forgotten (it's been awhile since I read my last comic book, mind you) and it introduces a whole set of characters that introduces basically the whole Marvel universe. Not an easy task, mind you. Especially taking into account that the average viewer of the Marvel movies is either a die-hard fan of the comics or a fifteen year old with the attention span of a fruit fly on Mountain Dew. The plot needs to cover a lot of terrain and in a little bit more than two hours, it kind of does that. You leave the theater and you have a good idea of what may be coming ahead and how this movie ties with many others in the Marvel universe.




But the thing that most called my attention was the introduction of a gay character in the movie. Phastos, one of the superheroes in the movie, happens to be gay. To be openly gay and to *gasp* have a loving husband and a child. On top of that, the husband seems to be Arabic, so yeah. cue the outrage in Muslim countries (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Qatar) who refused to show the movie after Disney refused to cut the scenes and the other countries that actually showed the movie but cut out ANY intimacy between characters (the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt). Gotta love it.

I for one, enjoyed having a superhero that kissed his husband before he left to save the world (also, added points for not making him ripped and buffed but smart) and enjoyed the movie as a whole. Well, not every Marvel movie has an Oscar-winning director and a pretty diverse cast of characters telling an origin story. I'm sure it was no easy task. But they did well. It made 71 million in two days in the US and 161+ million worldwide. Not bad for a movie some of the fans were not sure about (well, it had a woman director and a female lead the fanboys could not take that laying down) and many critics decided was too long (have they seen any origin story before??).

So yeah, it was my first outing to a movie theater after the pandemic hit and it was worth it. I even had popcorn. 

XOXO

P.S. Kit Harrington's butt is almost worth the price of the ticket, btw


Comments

  1. Marvel has perhaps redeemed itself a teeny-tiny bit with this new gay superhero. A teeny-tiny bit.

    I'm still not going to the theatres. I'll watch it when it streams as a regular offering on Disney+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      Yes! Marvel is taking baby steps. And this one was my exception. And I was sooo stressed out watching people make it into the theater that I'm not going back. Really. I feel anxiety when too many people are close to me now.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. A superhero kissing her husband before going to save the world? he is romantic and strong at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      It took them enough time to do this.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I am not really not the superhero movies, though I will, every so often, watch one on TV. [I know, they're better on the large screen, but, hey, they're free at home.]
    But then you got me with diversity and gay superhero and of course, Harrington's butt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally into the whole Marvel/DC thing.
      This movie was slightly different because it introduced a lot of backstory and superheroes who are not really super well known, like let's say, Thor. And they opened the possibilities of multiverses, of course.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. We've seen all the Marvel ones so far. I've been skeptical on this one becau --- Wait. Kitt Harrington's butt? That changes things. jk. It's my wife who loves the superheroes. But she's not comfortable going into a crowded theater . Not even to see Kitt's ass.
    We weren't allowed to have comic books when I was a kid. I only got to see one if a friend had it, so maybe that explains my interest level. I'm guessing you didn't keep yours, though. Had a theatre friend who did. He passed away (on stage!) and hiw widow sold the collection for over $50k. Can you imagine??? XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes, Kitt Harrington looks delicious here. And we went with the heavy duty masks. Not risking it.
      I did have tons of comics when I was a kid. I stopped collecting when I was about fifteen, when I started reading books. And 50K? Awesome!

      XOXo

      Delete
  5. I understand most of the bad reviews, especially on Rotten Tomatoes, had to do with gay bashing by people upset about the gay character more than anything else. In spite of this, the movie did well domestically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the fragility!
      The scene with the husband and the kid is tucked in the middle of the movie. I'd think they would complain more about the possibility of multiverses or Harry Styles.
      And apparently it did do well domestically AND abroad. Heh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Kudos to you for hitting the theater, even a small one (though even the megaplexes technically are small theaters). I’ve seen the mixed reviews of the critics, but I go to be entertained. I trust your review over theirs, so I’ll look out for this once it hits Disney+. What could be more entertaining than Kitt’s butt?

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was quite the experience.
      I'm not sure I'm going to repeat it any time soon. I went for the gay character and because I could not stream it. And it IS entertaining. There are themes of morality and colonization and of the common threads of humanity.
      Kitt's butt is very, very entertaining.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. The boy and I were all set to go this see this. We both, like you, get hot and bothered by men in tight lyrca...and love superhero movies. Then two weeks ago a good friend of ours, who hasn't been doing anything in 15 months, finally went to the movies and now caught Covid. We're out. To many in, for our to close for comfort. But CA is a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      I got anxious when I saw that we were not the only ones in the theater, TBH. It was not full, but there were too many people there to my liking. We took the KN95 masks there. And yes, CA is full of anti-vaxxers. Who knew!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Did you buy popcorn? Candy? A pretzel? You are very brave. I am not brave, yet. I did go to Perkins and have pancakes! I read comic books as a kid, too. Total escapism. And I love super powers. And I was always attracted to the females, as they always seemed so glamorous to me. Wonder Woman in the mid 1970's? She rocked (and had killer boots.) I vaguely remember these superheroes and I love origin stories, but I have never seen any of these Marvel stories. I saw the Tim Burton Batman films and the first Reeves Superman - but nothing since. I think that Batman film with the nipples killed it for me. Glad you got out. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      I did buy popcorn but ate it AFTER the movie. I didn't want to remove my mask (everybody had a mask on). And I changed the escapism of the comics for the escapism of books.
      I love superheroes. Love Wonder Woman, but I always dreamed that Clark would get me into a phone booth with him. I've seen most of the superhero movies, both Marvel and DC.
      Christopher Reeves as Superman? Swoon!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I saw Eternals last week and rather liked it - although it was Richard Madden (Yum!) and not Kitt Harrington who was the draw for me.
    It was my second trip to the cinema since June 2019. The week before, I took my first tentative steps into the little cinema in town and saw Dune. Like you I was anxious about being in an enclosed space with people, but I needn't've worried as there was only me and one other person in there. And there were only three other people (a family) besides me watching Eternals. The benefits of a small town and watching films a week or two after their debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too!
      And I'm partial to Kit, but I agree, Madden is delicious. And I just missed an invite to see the new Ghostbusters because it was opening weekend. I'm not ready for the crowds in a multiplex. Nope.
      It's going to take me awhile...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.