Go back in time

Show more

The Disappointments



I am a sucker for webseries. Don't get me wrong, I know that some are absolutely trash but some are actually quite good and this one is fun, short and it's surprisingly good. At least IMHO. I came across it because I happened upon one of the protagonists in tighty whities. And of course I had to go watch to see what he was up to. Why, yes, a half naked man showing me the goodies is an incentive, like anything else. Have you met me?

Also the series, about three gay friends trying to find their way in life sounded like fun. After fifty? Yeah, sign me up. It does not go as far as being The Golden Girls, but it is in a neighboring realm. And it's LA instead of Florida. And you don't see that quite often, because when you think about LA you think about twenty year olds with pumped up bodies and six pack abs. Remember that for some gay men, life ends at what? Twenty five? Or is it thirty? I can't remember. In a culture obsessed with youth and physical appearance, finding stories told from other perspectives is always refreshing, not to mention interesting. And that's what I thought while I binged through the episodes.

The men in The Disappointments deal with different things: a sudden illness, planning for the future, a relationship, you name it. And of course, men who are past their forties are going to see these things under a different lens. I found that the webseries explores these issues from a different perspective: there's no coming of age arch, there's no sudden realization that things indeed get better, there's nevertheless, something more universal: life goes on, and not always the way we thought it would go. And that's not a bad thing. I think that looking at life from the vantage position that having survived a plague gives to men over fifty, is as worthy of exploration as the angst that millenials are going through right now.

It's a different world, the one we're living in, when you look at it from the point of view of a man who has been around the block once or five times. And it's not that it is better than the world a nineteen year old is discovering. It's just different, and looking at it may give you a different perspective. Just saying....

XOXO

P.S. Here's the photo that made me stop and gawk. Instagram knows me, apparently:





Comments

  1. I saw the first episode and really enjoyed it. The lead is yummy and the writing is very good. 👍🏻👍🏻

    I’ll have to go back for the rest over the long weekend.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty good, actually. "Fuck meditation" hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOO
      It does have good lines. And this character goes through some things.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Well, that looks good, and nice to see older gay men and what they, um, we, go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I thought it was really above average. And yes, it's great to see that not every gay man is twenty-five!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Lost me with the suicide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Dave,
      We all know you get lost easily....

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. And to think, I thought this post was going to be about you receiving the wrong underwear you ordered.

    I will have to give this a whirl when I get off after work and get some dinner prep done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Maddie.
      I did once ordered from MeUndies and they sent me some jockstraps. They told me to keep them so I did.
      And the series is fun and does touch on some good topics. Give it a try.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Well, call me old! I am. I like the freedom the web can deliver, but I also despise that I have to look in so many different places for decent entertainment. Like 2000 channels 24/7 wasn't already too much air time to fill. XOXO

    P.S. Just ignore me. I'm having a very rough go of it this morning. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      Not like we are all gonna stay thirty forever, right? And you know I only stream. The choices overwhelm me.
      And hope your morning got better!
      *smooches*

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I saw that title and thought, WHAT, yet another biography about MOI?

    No, seriously. I get why we get excited about this kind of thing. But... sigh. I am that guy. It's all too white, they are all SUPER privileged and, while I am glad to see something besides twenty somethings being represented, it's still about looks. It's way over lit. The dialogue sounds canned. The acting feels superficial and very presentational. Sigh. Yes, I know...

    I am 'that' guy... Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      But of course it's about Toi, mon cher! And it's not that you're being that guy. It's good to look at things with critical eyes. And it's not all wine and roses for the guys here. Cancer, unemployability and the possibility of not having money to retire are things many gay men over fifty face. Coincidentally, the guy who appears to have had some fame is the Asian guy. And the lead's look is what got me in the series, TBH. They know what they're doing. But they did get me to watch, so....

      And you can be THAT guy. That's why we like you...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.