Go back in time

Show more

Beat that Generation


When I heard comments that Kim Jones had used the Beat Generation (and Jack Kerouac) as inspo, I was already into this show, sight unseen. The idea of bringing some classic lines and styles for the clothes and then making them fresh is always exciting. There's nothing new under the sun, so why not use a certain point as a reference and run wild with it? Doesn't that sound like fun?




I'm totally in love with this collection. I think the cut and the luxury of the materials are still totally Dior, but the touch of Americana and fifties nostalgia are incredibly cool and extremely wearable. I also think that the combination of textures and those beautiful, beautiful jewel colors combined with neutrals is what give this collection that sense of being lived-in, of easiness. Kim Jones always seems to go straight to what I like. Thank you, Mr. Jones. I'll make sure I get some knock-offs and some thrifted items to imitate your looks next year.

Also, the collection gives me the idea of going somewhere. Very appropriate, given that I'm going back to the office in January. After all, Kerouac was the patron saint of going places (the models walk on a 120 feet long scroll of a manuscript of On The Road, natch). The tailoring of these clothes seem to scream road trip. Of course, that's not the case, because you know how I feel about road trips (I'd take one to go see you guys, of course) but in the middle of this pandemic this collection just inspires.

My faves:


That coat! Perfect length, and perfect color. The t-shirt, too. Gimme. 



I would wear everything. I'd add leggings, because it's fucking cold. But yes, please!



Don't tell me these pants are not groovy. Also, the cut of the jacket. Very working man.


I really like these jeans. I love how this overcoat falls. 


This color combo won me over. Also, the pants, the bag and the boots the house down, mawmah.


I really dig this jacket length and cut. Love the shoes and the tie. And the tie clip.


Black and pink? Yes. 


I love how how this palette works. And could I have that bag, please and thank you.


Again, Kim Jones is gonna make me like loose leg jeans again. And that jacket and tie? 



You can get a much better idea of all the looks here: DIOR.


P.S. Jack Kerouac was Daddy and he could have gotten it. 






Comments

  1. Some of this isn't me....Id be caught drinking a rubbish gin before being caught wearing a. Scottish plaid pattern....but other items I loved...and they could easy melled into my current wardrobe....like any of the coats or sweaters. Love my a good blazer. Bright colors? Not for me. Im a natural neutral person...like your last fashion post showcased...along with navy's and. Subdue tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I actually love those plaids! And same about bright colors. I think I should add a few touches for next year, though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. what high level collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was fab.
      So well put together.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I love the jackets, and the glittery shiny striped sweaters and the jeans--though I could do without the short pants [not the shorts].
    There's a lot in there I would like ...if you're listening Santa and you have the coins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there's a real retro vibe to all of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't there?
      I immediately thought about going thrifting for some items!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I love all those looks. I especially love the yellow/black jacket!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes.
      And I don't do bright colors, as I was telling Maddie. But I'm soooo tempted!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. This is the first time in a super long time that I have seen outfits from a fashion show that I would actually see on non-supermodels. I could actually see myself in the first outfit that you shared. Appreciate the share, Sixpence. Have a good rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bravo!
      Yes, Mr. Shife! You are going to have to show this video at home and then ask them to tell Santa what you want... Without doing a google search.
      LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Fresh! Out of the oven! 🔥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dang.... There's a whole bunch in that collection I'd wear. Everything old is new again. And, thus, old ain't so bad, then is it? LOL. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      It's so wearable! I loved most everything, to tell you the truth.
      And Old is New, Big.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. The Beat generation like their cotton trousers with a cuff, chambray shirts, and cable knit sweaters. Occasionally they'd let themselves be photographed in a T-Shirt, but that was too Marlon Brando for many of them. In short, they were the dweebs of their day. They'd look at these clothes and write some witty free verse tinted with sarcasm only they could understand. They were way, way too serious about life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatniks were very anti-establishment, which I love.
      And the only thing missing were big black glasses and one or two berets.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.