Go back in time

Show more

Like Bad Bunny






First of all, this video is two years old. I think the pandemic somehow got to me and didn't let me jump into this wagon on time. Damn it, COVID! What called my attention is that these men, who are Latinx, would so willingly try something so... different? But as one of them said, for some Latinx guys grooming and taking care of yourself is nothing new. And then they went and tried it. 

Bad Bunny (a straight, cisgender male musician) being an actual role model in what comes to gender also kind of surprised me, but not much. I've seen his oeuvre. But I could not forget that he literally represents Reggaeton, a music genre that originated in Puerto Rico (it's basically Dancehall and HipHop infused with Latin American Music) but if you have never heard of it, it's totally fine. The thing is, Reggaeton is, like Dancehall, Rap and HipHop tending heavily towards the misogynistic and it is very homophobic.  But it seems that Bad Bunny has decided that he needed to break with more than one of those outmoded gender stereotypes and guide a whole generation of Latinx men towards a less straightjacketed notion of masculinity. Who knew?

The idea of painting my fingernails seemed a little foreign at the beginning. How do you go around it? Then I remembered Mr. Shife, who had lost a bet with one of his children once got a manicure and went about his life with bright pink nails. Hell, if Mr. Shife could go around his life and do physical therapy and go to the eye doctor with fancy nails, so could I. Right? So Mr. Shife, you and Bad Bunny were my inspo.

So right now I'm sporting black nail polish (oh, how I enjoyed that brief Emo moment I had in the nineties. It's also very Punk Rock to have black nails with nail polish that do not go all the way to the top with superhero stickers in three of them. Yeah. That's going to be my look for this Xmas. So thanks to a two-year old video, a Reggaeton singer and Mr. Shife, I'll go around the Holidays (and beyond, I suspect) with Punk-inspired nails. Tot tell you the truth, the cashier at Aldi did not even blink when I gave her the money for groceries yesterday and my nails were displayed in all their glory. Maybe the impact was due two years ago and I'm behind the curve this time. Oh well. I like my nails, anyway...

XOXO

#HAPPYPRIDE

P.S. This is Bad Bunny, fucking with more gender stereotypes.



Comments

  1. Fascinating. I think you should post a pic of your nails, dear. May inspire others. Me? I hate maintenance work. Doing the bit of shaving and buzzing I do on a daily is some days more than I can stand (but I still do it). So, I, for one, will not be adding more to the morning repertoire. I clip my nails super close anyway... so nothing to call attention to. Seems when you're inserting a finger a certain somewhere, men prefer my nails very well trimmed (ouch.) Oh, please, give us a peek, sweets. It would make my holidays. Adore you. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Upton! There is nothing worst then losing a good press on up someone ass.

      Delete
    2. Hahaha
      It's really not work intensive. I keep my nails very short, so it's only the nail polish, haphazardly applied, that I'm adding. And I've discovered it's very, very relaxing to dedicate ten minutes to your nails.
      And Maddie, I spit my orange juice reading that comment!
      LMAOOO

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I use to get my nails done. My manicurist would paint them clear. It made my hands look groomed. I need to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm not really getting them done, though.
      I'm just painting them. I've never had a manicure with all the bells and whistles. I should try getting one, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. You do know that a lot of rock and rollers have been painting their nails for years, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's why I'm painting them black, my dear.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I've seen men - even straight men - with nail polish for decades. XOXO

    Watched "Disclosure" documentary over the weekend. Pretty eye-opening. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some, too.
      But it's usually men who work in the arts, not Joe Schmoe walking around Main Street.
      Disclosure is a great documentary!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Like Upton, I keep my nails short because of the amount of keyboarding I do for work. I don’t like the feel of longer nails. And also like Upton, I prefer to be low maintenance: short hair that air drys, daily shave, bi-weekly mustache and eyebrow trim. And I seem to have noticed more men in the entertainment industry with painted nails. To each their own as they say.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I cannot do long nails.
      I type, too and they would probably get on the way. I'll send you a pic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Men having painted nails is pretty common down here. I get my nails done every other week but no artwork needed. But, I'm sure you look stunning! Have you done camouflage yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, bae.
      But you live in a community with a high percentage of gay men. I would expect more than one or two to be totally rad.
      And camouflage nails? Love!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I have heard of Bad Bunny, but I don't think I've heard his music yet.

    As far as nails go, I have only done color when in drag on my press ons. I do get manicures, one of my little simple pleasures, and mostly get the clear polish. But one year at gay pride I had the nails done in the colors of pride, and the store manager of Bloomies at the time thought it was a bit much, but didn't make me remove the color. I mean, a gay working in retail. OH MY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see, I've never had a manicure.
      I must try one!
      And doing my nails in the color of Pride? That's a cool idea! That store manager surely needed their gaydar adjusted, night?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh yes...you should try one! They don't take long, and the warm water and little hand rub they give is just enough. The issue is my cuticles. I find them very hard to trim. I go once a month for a pedi and medi. One can tell a lot about a man from his fingernails and the shoes he wears. In particular about my feet too.

      Delete
  8. This can be a nice game. I don't see anything scandalous about it, not even for straight men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Xersex.
      The fragility of men knows no limit.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I will check out Mr. Bad Bunny.
    Now, I am not a nail polish guy, but if I was, who cares? It's polish, and if people, gay and straight and male and female, and everything else, like a painted nail, then pain the damned nail and damn the people who complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Bunny is fun.
      And you should see what a little nail polish can do. Really. In 2021.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.