Go back in time

Show more

Longtime Companion



The first movie I watched that talked frankly about AIDS was Longtime Companion. It felt groundbreaking in a way, quaint in others. But it would have a lasting effect on me: I would forever think about it when I wanted to talk to someone about AIDS. By then I've read And the Band Played On and Angels in America, but Longtime Companion was still one of the more accessible portrayals of that time period. If somebody did know about AIDS, I would graduate them to How to Survive a Plague with them. But that's just me. It's always been kind of tricky, trying to explain to someone what AIDS is.

It's 2021 and many still see AIDS the way they see Longtime Companion: as a reminder of an era. But AIDS is as present today in the world as it was in the 90's, when the movie came out:

HIV remains a major public health issue that affects millions of people worldwide.
Although the world has made significant progress in recent decades,  important global targets for 2020 were not met.
Division, disparity and disregard for human rights are among the failures that allowed HIV to become and remain a global health crisis. Now, COVID-19 is exacerbating inequities and disruptions to services,  making the lives of many people living with HIV more challenging.
The theme of World AIDS Day 2021 is “End inequalities. End AIDS”.  With a special focus on reaching people left behind, WHO and its partners are highlighting the growing inequalities in access to essential HIV services. 


I currently only have one friend who's been HIV+ for more than twenty years. He's still as active and bright as he was when I met him many years ago. But the fight continues. Nowadays it is not ignorance what drives the growth in cases, it's inequality. Not everybody has access to PreP or testing, and the pandemic has made things even worse for some people. Also, I think that some people have forgotten or do not know what AIDS did to the LGBTQ community in the eighties and nineties. There's a lot of complacency towards it because of the advances in treatment and the availability of drugs that have made contacting the disease less likely. But AIDS is not gone. That's something that people keep forgetting. 

I was recently watching an episode of  Drag Race Italia and Enorma Jean, one of the contestants (and one of my absolute favorites!) was talking in that episode about her struggle with the disease. It got me emotional seeing her get emotional about it. Yes, people can still get HIV and people can still live full, productive lives while being undetectable, but I thought it was a very brave move on her part to disclose her status and start a conversation about AIDS, especially taking into account the state of LGBTQ rights in Italy right now. In 2021 we still have to 'have the conversation'. That Drag Race didn't shy away from the topic was really encouraging. It's not the first time they have done it. Let's hope it's not the last. 

So let's keep talking about it. Because the AIDS epidemic is not over. It won't be over until people find a way to mitigate its terrible effects. It won't be over until everybody is equally capable of accessing information about and treatment for the disease. Notice I'm not talking about a cure. Because I'm a realist. But hope springs eternal, no?

And you, do you have an anecdote about AIDS? A favorite book/movie? Come on, share with us. Today is the perfect day to talk about it...

XOXO


Comments

  1. It was groundbreaking in a major way. Originally produced as a PBS special, its producers decided to give it a theatrical release and it stunned the world. It also received several Oscar nominations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. There were no movies talking about AIDS at the time. And I didn't know it was supposed to be a PBS special! What?
      I did know that it got some nominations. The more you live...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Longtime Companion still makes me cry.

    We are headed to the state capitol this morning for a World AIDS Day event where my fabulous husband will be speaking to the Hispanic communities in this state about HIV/AIDS..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It still gets me emotional.
      OMG so cool you guys got to go to the Capitol on WAD. Yay Carlos!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Longtime Companion...one of my favorite top 10 movies...and I hope no one gets slick and feels a remake is ever needed, because it will never be as good or touching as its current feel. It also came out when I was a young gayling and opened me up to there was a whole lifestyle and little groups of friends of gays, and I wasn't the only one...even though gay was always normal to me, I was already having sex with men by time this came out. Who knew there was more than just the sex...but it also sacred the shit out of me as the major part of AIDS was passed, but it taught me to play safer. I still watch the movie at least once a year. It also gave me the idea that yes, maybe I did want to have a settle relationship. It was the first movie I saw where a male couple was together and happy...like Fuzzy and Willie.

    And what's not to like about seeing Campbell Scott and his fine buns run naked into the ocean to The Tide is High???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if anybody decides to remake it, they need to be slapped.
      And same! I was very carefree and never thought about STDs or AIDS much until then. And I loved Fuzzy and Willie!
      Oh, Campbell Scott naked and Dermot Mulroney camping it up? Heaven.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. and my first movie was Philadelphia. So moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , yes.
      And Antonio Banderas dancing with Tom Hanks in that movie? Absolutely.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Groundbreaking for its time and has some well known actors in the cast. This is definitely something to see again.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have watched this movie on and off for many years.
      It always gets me emotional, though. Never forget, it's my motto.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Having worked with men dying of AIDS (GRID at the time), there should be a movie about those who were shunned by their mothers and fathers, and whose bodies were never claimed after death. I choose not to watch these movies as I have flash backs of suicides (in hospital) and skeletal men with their final breath producing projectile vomit and diarrhea simultaneously. The reality of AIDS of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      I've heard heartbreaking stories of men dying alone because their families did not want to hear from them. So horrible. And I can totally understand that there's some PTSD related to it, especially if one lived through it.
      Gay men today do not KNOW anything about AIDS.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I was able to read the extra-large print from the WHO. And your black background helps immensely. The film which stands out for me to this day: "An Early Frost," the film that shot Aiden Quinn to star status. "Longtime Companion" is a good film but...not true to the reality of the time. No visitors in hospitals who weren't related - longtime companions/partners had zero rights. And, of course, relatives shunned them.
    My work for the local AIDS foundation brought to light the number of people who currently don't believe it is 'catchable." Sad fucking state of affairs. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you could read it! BTW you can adapt your screen to make it more accessible. Check your general settings.
      I did watch An Early Frost. I love Aiden Quinn (he was my crush on Desperately Seeking Susan). And that's what I don't understand of gay men today: the denial concerning AIDS. Really. The ignorance!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. We've come a long way in 30 years, thank goodness, but at a terrible price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a terrible price to pay.
      A whole generation of gay men literally died out due to AIDS.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I think of my friend Alan, on this day. So frail, he had to appear in his last show in a wheel chair. But it was important for him to demonstrate on several levels - to be seen, to be heard. To celebrate his last moments on a stage he'd spent his whole lifetime serving. He was brave. And stoic. His loss rippled through our small, tight community, leaving in its wake a trail of dread. Those we said good-bye to. Those we tried to help. Those who educated and comforted us and allowed our imaginary force fields of invincibility to remain intact. Yes, there is such a thing as healthy denial. In many ways, the survivor's guilt was worse than grieving. Grief quiets and stills, while guilt hovers and haunts. In my quietest moments, Alan and my many others appear. I question: did I do enough? Was I present? They never answer me... for I already know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      Survivor guilt is real. So brave, your friend. So courageous til the end.
      Oh, Upton.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.