Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Marc

 


I don't know if I would ever go for plastic surgery. I have only been on an operating table once in my life. And that was enough. I have this thing about hospitals. It may have to do with the fact that my both my parents had serious health issues after having surgeries. I don't know. Call it aversion, if you want, but I don't like hospitals.

But I can understand why someone would have plastic surgery. It's a very personal decision and a decision that only should involve the person getting the surgery and their doctor. Really. But there's truly a stigma attached to people who go under the knife for esthetic reasons: they're consider vapid and spoiled and privileged. I think that if they decide to go for a nip and tuck and have the means, well, they should do it.





I'm 58 years old. I don't think I look bad for 58 years old. I didn't feel like I had to do this, but I feel like all of these conversations around aging or around plastic surgery are just like any other conversations to me. The problem comes with the shame around them. And I don't want to live my life with shame, you know? I find that the way I do that is by being open, transparent, and honest about things. Yes, I’m vain. I find there is no shame in being vain. I find there's no shame in wanting attention. I find there's no shame in getting dressed up and showing off a look. You know what I mean? Those are some of the things that give me pleasure. Self-care on every level, whether it's spiritual self-care or meditation, or whether it's getting my hair dyed and cut, or spending two hours at JINSoon getting my nails done…those are all part of wellness for me. External and internal wellness are really important. I say the same thing about all of it, which is that the better I feel about myself, the better I'm able to be to others.

This. This a thousand times. The thing is, cosmetic surgery is a deeply personal choice. I like that he does not mind being called vain and I can see why. Some people find self-improvement deeply tied to being vain but would it be vain to pay for a personal trainer to motivate us to jump on a treadmill? Oh, it's because it has to do with 'health' and not with 'beauty'. Bullshit. Both have to do with self-care and that's important to many people. People who use the 'health' excuse to accept some things and not others are full of it.


I think that Jacobs going VERY public with his surgery is a step in the right direction. It does not matter that I am not planning on getting surgery myself. It's not about me. It's about him. It's about him doing something that people do in secrecy and shame (does it sound familiar?) but that indeed a lot of people do. Or do you think that Ryan Gosling hasn't had some kind of 'adjustment' done to his nose? Or that your favorite movie star/musician hasn't had some procedures done? What about your best friend? Is he suddenly sporting a full head of hair when there was some alopecia going on a few months ago? And what does that mean to you? People who improve their physical appearance should not be shamed because they want to look, well, good. It is their choice and it is their body. I take vitamins and Fish Oil and make sure I wash my face every night because I care about myself. Same reason why I get my ass out of the house in the morning for a quick run even when I don't want to get bundled up because it's 35 degrees outside. I take care of myself because it makes me feel good. 


And if I had all that money and all that time, I think I would do surgery, too. Why the hell not? The only problem is that I am terrified of hospitals, I cringe at the thought or a syringe and I have low tolerance to pain (just thinking about getting a tattoo makes me wince), so I'm not a good candidate for an invasive procedure that requires a lot of downtime (and can use a hyperbaric chamber). But I think there's no shame in wanting to look good. I think Marc looks like a refreshed version of himself. Do I think he needed the surgery? Probably not. But he looks good. It probably has to do with the fact that he chose a highly skilled professional to do the procedure, too. There is no shame on wanting to just let time and gravity do their thing. Some people do not have the means or the patience to go through something like a facelift. Neither thing is better or worse. It's just a personal choice that can be driven by having the means to do it. 


So kudos to Marc for being so upfront and not giving a damn about what people may think. If there were not a stigma about surgery I think more people would be willing to accept they have some work done. As an aging quasi-Twink model, I can relate to the idea of seeing ageing as both a badge of honor and as something we approach with some trepidation:

People have always been very youth oriented. If you ask most older people how they want to look, they don't say they want to look old. You know? I mean, youth has always been what people aesthetically want to achieve. There's no disgrace in being old or looking old. It's just a choice to want to look younger. I don't think there's any disgrace in that. 
MARCJACOBS

Some people choose to 'age gracefully'. Some people choose to 'fight it all the way'. And there's no 'right' way to go about it, really. But there should not be any kind of stigma attached to either paying a good sum to look like a better version of yourself or just let time do its thing and not worry about it. If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anybody, do it. That's my mantra.

XOXO

Comments

  1. Someone should tell him there 's a difference between fighting the aging process, and hiding it, or cutting it away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's fighting it the best way there is: surgery.
      Potions and injectables do only that much. He's 'setting the stage'. He's just about to hit sixty . If he needs another surgery, it'll probably be when he's in his eighties. And we know how that goes...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Buyer be ware! There are doctors, then Good doctors, and finally TALENTED doctors. I worked with many many people who've had 'plastic', 'cosmetic' and reconstruction surgery for decades. In that time I have only seen one total face lift that was undetectable. Hair does not grow over scar tissue. Also, cosmetic surgery is addictive. Like tattoos, and heroin. (lol)

    Thank jeebus I'm not vain. Smooch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Jimmy.
      So much truth. We got addicted to something called Botched on tv. The horror stories were enough to make you swear off ANY kind of cosmetic procedure. And if you have the money, it can become addictive.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I find it disconcerting that he can only be a good person to others if he is good to himself, which means looking better.
    Maybe just be nice no matter your appearance?
    But, to each his own, it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,
      Correlation does not mean causation. I think he's doing what he considers is the best for him and I'm here for that.
      Would I do surgery because he's done it. Nope. Too chicken.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Marc is one of my favorite fashion designers....and I have nothing against plastic surgery. My issues if when people have so much of it they look like a shell...if even of their former shelf. He is looking drastically different...soon to be unrecogozable....much like Madonna. Then I think it's a issue. And shame on the money hungry surgeon. A good one will never let one go that far and say enough is enough. And what puzzles me, is that these people end up looking worst in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, undeniably creative.
      And I don't have anything against plastic surgery either. Glad he was transparent about it because people try to hide it as if it's a hideous crime.
      I have issues with Madge, but you know that she's always been very much her own person. She probably has all the money in the world, so however she looks is because she wants to. Just don't deny it.
      I think Marc looks great. I don't think he'll have anything else done because his surgeon seems to have done a great job.
      But like Jimmy says, plastic surgery is addictive. Let's wait and see...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Generally speaking, this, like all choices, is a personal choice. I could tell you that I don't care about looking younger. But I am not a person who lives on his own physical appearance. Of course, if I had more muscles, I would be happy and would attract men more easily, but I don't want to go to the gym. So I couldn't, even if I wanted to, complain. There are people who "rejuvenate" to such a point that they look not young, but incredible. People don't say, "Oh what a youthful and toned look!" but "Plastic surgery or the filters of social networks went there". Because a small modification may not be noticed, but in any case certain aesthetic operations can be seen very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct.
      It's absolutely personal. People do this because they want to and because it makes them feel better. More power to them. And that's the perfect example, with the muscles. I'm totally there with you.
      And social networks promote absolutely unattainable standards of beauty. Marc mentions that in the article and how social media has distorted our ideas of ourselves. He did a full facial (I think his neck, too) so he went all out on social media to battle the stigma because I think his 'refreshed' appearance would have been obvious. After all, he lives under the public eye.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. if you want to know a person's age, look at his hands and neck. Not his face!

      Delete
  6. To each their own. Not a choice I would make unless it were a therapeutic necessity to repair damage or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true.
      I know people with deviated septums who have done rhinoplasty because it was necessary. And they look great after they have it AND can breath better. Two birds. One stone.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I have friends who have had facelifts. I don't judge - - the end result looked good. Then, there are the ones who end up looking like plastic versions of themselves (Phyllis Maguire, Wayne Newton, Barry Manilow come to mind). Personally, I won't do it...I wouldn't want to spend the money even if I had it to spend. I'd rather give the money to someone - or someones - who were in need. That said, I've earned every damn wrinkle, crease, and grey hair. The acne scars...well, those would be nice to get rid of but, after all these years, why bother? LOL.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know anybody who's had a facial.
      I think I can only tell when it's painfully obvious (Kenny Rogers and Burt Reynolds!). I don't know if I would ever do it. I'm too chicken. Would hate it if anything goes wrong and I get a wonky eye cause I decided to get snatched. And it is EXPENSIVE to do surgery with a good, certified surgeon.
      And you are right, after all these years, who gives a fuck?

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. It’s not something I would consider, but I can’t fault someone who has the means and the inclination to do something like this. As Jimmy said it could become addictive and that could lead to issues Carrot Top, anyone?).

    But to each his own. Now in the subject of tattoos 🤔

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes.
      Carrot Top ended up looking freaky. Notice it's always the people in the public eye who do this. They literally make their living because of the way they look.
      Hahaha and what do you have to say about tattoos? Are you getting one?
      I wanna see.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I would never have plastic surgery (well let's not say never), but I would rather not go under the knife. I don't begrudge anyone who does. It's a personal choice and people who want, should get it without judgement. However, I have seen really bad jobs. I met someone at a party and I could see my reflection in his "taut" forehead and when he smiled, it was creepy because you couldn't see the smile in the rest of his face. But all in all, he had confidence, was self-assured, but mainly kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I say too: never say never.
      I don't think I'll ever have the money, and to tell you the truth, if I had the money, I'd get a new car instead. I also think it's very personal.
      I don't know anybody who's had procedures done, really. So I cannot tell. I think the only person I know who admitted to plastic surgery was a girl friend who had her boobs done.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. I would never have plastic surgery (well let's not say never), but I would rather not go under the knife. I don't begrudge anyone who does. It's a personal choice and people who want, should get it without judgement. However, I have seen really bad jobs. I met someone at a party and I could see my reflection in his "taut" forehead and when he smiled, it was creepy because you couldn't see the smile in the rest of his face. But all in all, he had confidence, was self-assured, but mainly kind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent points made by Marc. I am with you, Sixpence, because if I had all that money and all that time, I think I would do surgery, too. But I also hate hospitals and going under as I had about 10 operations under the age of 12 so I have a lot of bad memories/trauma. Since I am not loaded, I guess I will not have to worry about it. Maybe in my next life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it suits him well.
      And the fact that he came forward with the info and was not ashamed in any way, shape or form was refreshing.
      I hate hospitals. Ugh. And I can't believe you were in the hospital to have ten operations before you were even fifteen! Absolutely triggering.
      And it is expensive, to do plastic surgery. I'll also wait...

      XOXO

      Delete
  12. We each walk a different path. And you're right, Sixpence... as long as someone isn't harming another? Why should we stand in their way or stand in judgement. This isn't my way... but it is his. Lets all concentrate on celebrating joy, no matter the method, no matter the form. You do a great job of that with your blog. I come here and am constantly surprised by how very happy people can be... so, thank you, dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally think that people can do whatever they want/need if they are not harming anybody else. Not one to judge here.
      And we do need to celebrate joy (ours and other's) a little bit more.
      And you're welcome, Upton!
      *smooches*

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.