Go back in time

Show more

Be My Baby



Girl groups in general and female singers specifically don't get the credit they deserve. And sometimes they get it way late in life. I'm sure you've heard of Ronnie Spector, but she (and the Ronettes) have always been eclipsed by the murderous, crazy, testosterone-fueled instability, chaotic energy and genius of Phil Spector. Ronnie, the little girl from Spanish Harlem, was always for me the heart of the group and the voice that stood up to that wall of sound. And now she's gone.




In the sixties, The Ronettes charted repeatedly (I'll leave the specifics to Upton, because he's the expert) but after they disbanded, Ronnie kept pairing up with many singers and let us enjoy her fantastic vocals. Everybody knows that intro to Be My Baby. Even if they don't know the song and who sings it. Ronnie will forever live in vinyl and on video. Her singing and style influenced of course Amy Winehouse, who single handedly made retro sound cool all over again. The bouffant, the eyeliner, that voice!




She was in very good company. After fleeing the clutches of Phil Spector, she collaborated with many musicians. She sang George Harrison's Take Some, Give Some and collaborated with The E Street Band in Say Goodbye To Hollywood. But as I remember her more is by kicking ass in Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight. Oh, yes. Just like Ronnie said.




Ronnie will forever live in the hearts of vinylheads and lovers of awesome female singers. That I can attest to. Don't have any Ronnie Spector in your playlists? Get thee to Spotify or Pandora and make sure you listen to her today. Go ahead, I support you.

XOXO

P.S. I'm listening to her right now. It always comes handy to be a crate digger. Love me some 45s.










Comments

  1. You're so right about never getting the credit they deserve.
    RIP Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's maddening!
      So talented. So awesome. Her legacy is alive, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Very nice, however, it wasn't Phil Spector who eclipsed the Ronettes, it was the Supremes. They weren't just a girl band, they were a battlegroup and all of the other girl bands started to crumble. I know, I was growing up during that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was a fight to the death for those spins. It still si. And Spector was the Svengali who even married her to control her better. It was all about HIM and his Wall of Sound.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion. I have been missing my background music that I used to play in the office, so I’ve started using Pandora at home, I’ll start a new channel.

    I saw the news of her death, so sad, I guess we’re all getting older.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her music is awesome. I know you'll like it.
      And Pandora can come handy, especially when working. Totally recommend.

      And yes, we're getting older...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. "Girl bands" had to endure such awful, misogynistic environments to reach success, often full of emotional, physical and/or sexual abuse, let alone all the usual exploitative horrors of the music biz at that time. Ronnie Spector endured and triumphed. RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      And they never, ever, got the props they so rightfully deserved. Ronnie was a survivor and showed how awesome she was. I'm playing her nonstop this weekend and will go crate digging for more of her music.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Cool travel back in time. Thanks for that....
    You've been tom y house, haven't you? I have a 45rpm record holder exactly like the one you've shown. Next time, stick around and hang naked by the pool. 😁 XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, Big. If I'd ever make it to your house I'd jump your bones. And yes, I have that record holder in blue and green and a vintage Columbia one that is wood. Love them, cause I have dozens of 45s and I need to keep them organized.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Yes, her voice is amazing. Loved her collaboration with "Take Me Home Tonight". Rest In Peace.
    Side bar--back in the day I thought Eddie Money was a hottie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an amazing voice, right?
      And Eddie Money was HOT. Him tossing his hair in that video? *swoon*
      And he used to be a policeman, right? Hot.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Eddie Money introduced me to her and I am glad he did. What a voice and what a lovely tribute, Sixpence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Same!
      Love the voice. So unique.
      And thanks, Mr. Shife! You are always too nice.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Wow. I love her so much. That ache in her voice was sadly well-earned. Phil was a nightmare of a man. She has a couple of great solo albums, too. And you are so right about 45's. I had a huge collection... no more. Miss them. They were my friends. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      Her voice gives me the feels. Spector was a sociopath. And now I want to get more of her music. You should post your fav Ronnie albums so I can go and crate dig for them!
      Bet your 45 collection was awesome, Upton.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.