Go back in time

Show more

COMME DES GARÇONS HOMME PLUS


The thing about fashion is that what we see at Target or Sears or H&M or wherever it is that we buy our clothes is only a reflection of what the runways produced a year ago. I know it seems almost impossible because some of the fashion seem so out there on a runway, but it’s the way things seem to work. Yeah, when there's Fashion Week and the designers show their collections, we are, like it or not, getting ready to wear what they said it is going to be cool a year from now. Every year. I would not want to be a designer. Those collections seem to come at a breakneck speed!

I loved this Comme Des Garçons collection, btw (even if it's on the surface less accessible that the one Junya collab with Jay Kay). The colors, the shapes (I am a sucker for contrasts and silhouettes) and the ingenious pared down simplicity of the garments. Not for everybody, of course. Because these clothes are not meant to be worn as they are shown. No collection is supposed to be worn as the garments come down the runway. It's the details, the shapes, the colors what we will be seeing in our neighborhood mall in a year.

The whole collection has a mobile air to it (I've seen it in others for the Fall-Winter 22 season too) and the inspiration seems to have been being a 'Nomad'. Nothing like what we cannot have to inspire us, right? In these times of limited travel and after a pandemic, this theme comes just handy. The red, orange green and purple are earthy but cosmopolitan. And the shoes! Love me some creepers, so here I was in heaven. Love the laid back vibe and the layers, of course. 

My favs? The ruched-up suit, ALL OF THE HATS, the purple/violet pantsuit, the gray coat, the blueberry suit (OMG the details!) and that black midriff-buttoned jacket. I loved the pops of color with the black, too. And the whole pink ensemble with the gray jacket. I also love the proportions and the layers upon layers because of course I do. I'd even wear the skirts, natch.

If you have instagram, you'll notice that the fashion denizens are all wearing huge boots courtesy of Balenciaga, or balaclavas courtesy of Louis Vuitton  and puffy jackets courtesy of almost everybody. Well, they are wearing the trends from last year's Fashion Week. And that's where it starts. That's what retailers see and then you'll see the distilled product (affordable, tamed down and ready to wear) in your local stores. Those comfy sweatpants? Influenced by Comme Des Garçons, dahhlink. 


There's this scene in The Devil Wears Prada where the Miranda character reads down Andy cause she kind of mocks their cerulean dilemma. You see, we the people who wear khakis with a blue button down untucked and  feel edgy and shit, have no idea how the multi billion dollar fashion industry works. And we really don't care. Because all we want is to be comfy when we go for that walk or drive to the office. But THEY are watching. 


Don't believe me? Because I'm just another guy with a keyboard and an internet connection? Well, check out the Business of Fashion. They know what they're talking about. Meanwhile, I'm keeping an eye out for the next thing I will be getting to spice up my clothes. After all, they are making me go back to the office, so I might as well look good. Right?

XOXO

Comments

  1. not bad, but it's all so dark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a presentation choice, though.
      To make the colors pop. I can see this in a store looking somehow different.
      You can still see the proportions and the colors, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. It's too many layers on some of them for me, though i do love a lot of the jackets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right.
      They do pile up the layers when styling for the runway (DSquared2 does the same) but the cut in those jackets!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I think you’d look good in a skirt at the office. Makes everything so much more accessible 😎

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      OMG so tempted, though. And I know you'd find your way even with skinny jeans on.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. The jackets...yep. I liked those. It all seems very ---- baggy. Oversized. So we can hide the pandemic weight, maybe? LOL. I'm all for color even though the majority of my clothes are still the black from my dancing / theatre days. The pants resemble the old kulats (sp) the ladies used to wear. The layered look? Well, I've done that for decades already. I'm so ahead of the times! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jackets are dope.
      And Comme Des Garçons is not very shape-hugging most of the time. Very Pandemic-19-friendly, indeed.
      Oh, culottes? Yes! And it's also a very Asian look, which I love. And you've been layering and wearing black for years, so yeah. Trendsetter, much?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh, I probably stole all that black from the 50's Beatniks era. 😉 XOXO

      Delete
  5. Are sweatpants and hoodies in fashion? I have been dressing like Eddie Vedder and Kurt Cobain since my college days and don't think I will be changing anytime soon. Except I have to wear shoes with better orthotics. So much fun getting old. Good luck with your fashion choices, Sixpence, and getting back to the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweatpants have never left since they appeared.
      And that's your style, Mr. Shife and you better don't change it. Those are two icons.
      Oh, shoes. That's my downfall too.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. You can describe my fashion sense in 2 words. "No Comment."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Dave!
      Your Dino Socks would like a word (reference: Jeremy Scott for Moschino). And so would your tropical-inspired shirts (reference: DSquared2) and also your running shoes (reference: Versace). There is no such thing as 'no comment', dear.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. The colors are nice.

    But if I wore any of that I would look like a little boy in his father's clothes.

    If I were Miranda Priestly in that scene where she is viewing that designer's collection, and she slowly turns her head right and purses her lips? That would be me right now. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the colors and the contrast with black. Love!
      And of course they design for people who are six feet tall and 130 lbs. I don't have those measurements but would still wear these clothes if I could afford them.
      And I love TDWP. Streep is genius!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh, once in a generation do we see talent like Streep's. She is my generation's Kate Hepburn. I keep waiting for the Academy to give her the matching number of statues. XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    13 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.