Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Mr. Busch



Even before Charles Busch mentioned Natacha Rambova I was sold. Well, duh. Charles Busch is a fucking legend. And his house somehow reflects that. This is one of those houses I'd love to be invited into, if only to marvel at the lives of the people who live in them.  I'd also have to say that if people would have painted my portrait as often and as well as they have painted his, I would have my likeness all over my house, too. One of the great things about actors is that they get to live a thousand lives and keep track of all of them. Oh, yes, but this is about his house and the wonderful opportunity that we have of going in and see how he lives.

First of all, I don't think that this looks like an apartment. At all. To me, it looks like the interior of a 1895 brick house in a historic district in Philly. It has the fantastic flavor and slightly battered beauty of an old house. The XIX century Parisian Whorehouse description he gives is right on, btw. I love that he uses red, a color people fear, because people usually feel weary of red (and they should, when not used well, it can be a nightmare) because they feel it clashes with everything and everybody. But here, I think any other color would be out of place.

Quick disclaimer: I think red headed men are some of the sexiest people alive. I've dated one or four and I can attest to their deliciousness. Now, back to the house: that bedroom. I think it's a masterful contrast with the red in the other room: it goes to say that there's always room for versatility. Nobody has just one facet to their personality. I love the color of the walls (the reds, the yellows, the grays, the greens) and the white accents. Fabulous. Each room has its own personality.

And again, the wallpaper, the ceiling details, the moldings, everything makes this New York apartment look like a house. And what about that office? I believe that everybody needs a space, even if it's tiny, to call it their 'office'. And Charles, being a playwright, has chosen to have his own. His confession that he became a playwright out of necessity because nobody would cast him kind of hit hard. Fuck people and their conceptions of masculinity and femininity. And tant mieux pour nous, who got Charles Busch. 

So this apartment in the West Village is quirky, it's fabulous, it's got personality to spare and a fantastic -original- Sarah Bernhardt poster with one of the best success stories I've heard lately. Charles may describe his apartment as 'faux opulent' but I'd describe it as one of a kind. And I want him to invite me over to have a table reading of anything he's working on right now or to have a drink or seven or to just sit around and chat about music or theater or whatever the hell he would like to talk about. Because Charles is the kind of people who always have a story to tell.

I agree with himL home is indeed a cocoon, a safe haven. Home is being surrounded by memories and things that remind us of happy moments. And I'm glad he hasn't gotten to the point when he thinks it's 'too much'. That house is just right.

XOXO

Comments

  1. I love that arch in the bedroom! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that an awesome detail?
      It totally makes that entrance absolutely fantastic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. This is a home that truly reflects the resident. Each room is more fantastic than the last. I like the arch in the bedroom. The red room makes quite a statement and the wallpaper throughout is excellent. There’s a little too much hanging on the walls for my taste, but when you’ve had a life like his, you celebrate it.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does!
      I don't know if you remember, but the dining room in the Elgin house was red. It was very pretty with all the artwork. And you are right about the walls. Bet he doesn't have half of the stuff he could hang there.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I really like the fact that each room has its own color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that too!
      And they are all so different. Such a smart way to create a different mood in each room.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I love this house, I love his style, I love the way he describes it, and I want an arch in my bedroom now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so unique and it totally screams Charles Busch.
      It could not be anybody else's, right?
      That arch has many, many admirers!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. This, hands down, by far is my favorite video you have shown. It captures his personality and is introspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally does!
      It's so great when you have the person telling us what is it that makes their home.. well, theirs!
      He's a super charming man, too. And has a way with words.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. The bold colors of his palate are great! The wallpaper is nice, but too busy. The ceiling of the red room was... not at all to my liking, I think I'd spend too much time staring up and wondering what the fuck was going on. The archway into the bedroom was very nice, however, it's a bold statement telling you this is no small apartment, maybe 2 that he purchased and made into one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right Dave. That is a huge thing going on in Philly right now. Combining apartments and joining them, to make a bigger one.

      Delete
    2. I was just mentioning that to Xersex!
      He used very strong colors and they all go well in the house. I am also weary of wallpaper but it works in that room, I think.
      And no, it's not a small apartment (which should cost a pretty penny in the Village) and you may be right. He may have added a one bedroom or a studio to his original plan.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I can't say this surprises me at all!!!! Looks like a place of a legendary drag queen and I love it!!!! The bedroom in particular. Love that arch and a proper queen should have a nice boudoir table to get ready by. I myself love red, but haven't used it in paint form yet. The hardest color in my opinion to use is green. Most greens cast a terrible light on skin, and items around them. Green makes a far better accent color. At least red adds color. I adore Charles Busch. Last time I saw him was with Lypsinka when they came to New Hope for his cabaret at the time. A lovely night.

    I suspect we will never see Bunny's hovel on a tour. That bitch is still in the West Village...still in the same basement apartment since the early 90's. AD would pass out if they went in there. And lord only knows what the passer- by saw looking down in those windows. YIKES. I have noticed of late, the campy and one who seem to be quite characters are all apartment dwellers. The other day I really only know about 6 people with homes. I have my thoughts on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legendary is right!
      The bedroom is a dream. I love the wall color and that arch!
      I loved the boudoir too! For a second there you can forget it's Charles Busch we're talking about. And did you notice his office is that deep tone of green? He tamed it with artwork and was able to pull it off, IMHO.
      Hahaha omg one day Lady Bunny is gonna come for you!
      And you are right, many of these creative types live mostly in apartments. It's also a very 'city' kind of vibe, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. That cow!!! She DM'd over the weekend something smart. The next day her show was cancalled, the first in the UK slate. I texted her and said "Cancelled? I told you to not indulge in too much spotted dick girl"

      Delete
  8. Anonymous2/07/2022

    Adore this. Adore him. What great taste. And colorful. And not cluttered. And artsy. A true reflection of the occupant. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh... I wrote: "Adore this. Adore him. What great taste. And colorful. And not cluttered. And artsy. A true reflection of the occupant. Bravo."

    Anonymous? Is that how the world sees me these days? Oh. What a pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Upton
      You know how temperamental Blogger can get. I cannot comment from my iPad in 90% of the blogs. Blogger only likes my laptop.
      And he does have great taste.

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. The arch in the bedroom!! I agree with you. It doesn't look like an apartment at all. It looks like a home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bedroom is a winner, baby!
      And it does not look like an apartment at all to me. It's also spacious, which helps carry out the illusion.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.