Go back in time

Show more

Daytona Sand


Have I told you that for more than two years I was totally into NASCAR? That I have a Danica Patrick cap? That Jimmie Johnson was my favorite driver right after Danica Patrick? No? Well, yes, Virginia. I liked Nascar and I had a calendar (it was a Hello Kitty calendar, natch) with all the races set up and I even had a spreadsheet in my Mac with all the choices I made every week. And I religiously sat down and watched the races and when I could not watch them, I recorded them. I was a bona fide NASCAR fan. How butch, right?

And I was serious about it! I learned what a 'caution' was and why the became the rule (apparently they make the races duller but slightly safer?). I learned about the ex-NASCAR drivers who became sports commentators (HELLO, Jeff Gordon!) and a myriad other things. My other favorites in the race were Kyle Larson, Joey Logano, Martin Truex, Brad Keselowsky, Aric Almirola and Kyle Bush (or was it his brother? In any case, NOT the alleged wife beater, that's for sure). We used to bet on our favorite drivers every time there was a race and we chose our winner the day before the race. We also chose a runner up. It would work like this: if your driver won, you'd get $10 from each other of the people betting (we were five, so it was juicy). You'd also got money if your racer was the one closer to the top at the end. One year I made $200. Beginner's luck, of course, because I knew nothing about the races and I just chose the drivers because they were handsome. So sue me.

I liked the idea of NASCAR races having been born out of a middle finger raised up to the law (bootlegging!) and as part of a subculture. Lilly White, of course, but a subculture nonetheless. It's a multimillion dollar business today (tickets can be outrageously expensive!) and it's always been very religious/slightly racist but it's taken some steps to include some women and some men of color in the last years. In those years, I only made it to one race at the Chicago Speedway. I think it was in 2017? That's where I 'met' Danica Patrick and got to buy one of her GoDaddy caps (heh) and a Danica t-shirt. I was all for girl racers. I think there's now another girl racing but I stopped paying attention to Nascar right before the pandemic.

And I never did go to Daytona Beach for the Daytona 500. I kept hearing it was THE event in the races. Even though Florida in February sounds fantastic, I am not very much into florida (or Flori-duh as Bob calls it). But now I have this @OrvillePeck song. And I do feel like finding myself some long-haired, big blond rough trade to live my own Daytona fantasy.

XOXO

Comments

  1. Hmmmmmm. How much hootch did you have last night? I can't say I have been into either, lmao! But I will admit that is a Sixpence tidbit I didn't see coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      None, I swear! And I surprised myself when I got into it. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. An uncle in CA used to go to the Indy 500 every year. A large group of friends and family attended Darlington every year until the pandemic. Very friendly with the Petty's. One Petty (non-racing, tho) has become like family -invited to parties and picnics, etc. That's as far as my NASCAR experience goes. I think it's great that women can drive now. Hey, if you've got it..... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a whole subculture.
      With trips around the country and the works. And it's not cheap. My friend used to go to Daytona every year, religiously.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. 😱 I did NOT know that. I can’t see you being into that good ol’ boy network. I’m not up on NASCAR but I do know there have been some hot guys that have made the airwaves. And it’s good to see Orville embracing M2M in his videos.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      So I can still surprise you? And if you have seen some of the races, you can understand the lure. Some are very hot.
      And Orville could come and visit my beach ANY time. Yum.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Yes, I saw Orville Peck's new video a couple of days ago and thought of you immediately! He's in fine form, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Yes! You knew I was gonna post him here. He keeps getting better and better...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Great video & song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?
      I think his narratives are getting more explicitly queer and I love that.
      Gay men also go through heartbreak, natch.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I'll take the driver with the biggest 'Petty Blue' eyes. About 10"!

    Too bad you were not in Hollywood, Flo when they had their own race track. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my boy!
      And I have to say that the race track was a little noisy and that the public was not very diverse, but it was a good experience.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Is this your way of telling us you always want to be in the driver's seat and never shit shotgun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.
      Oh, I'm gonna let you drive, Dave. But I'll be in charge of that stick shift.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. FILE THIS UNDER: I've Got A Secret! - You could take this post and win that damn show. I, for one, am aghast! (Not really.) Never in a million years (and I should know, I've lived them) would I have ever guessed this of YOU! (Yes, dear, I hold you to a very high standard... standards, that I may point out YOU set simply by being the amazing human being you are.) Well. We shall consider this your little bit of tarnish! (Not really, like I give an F.) Your picadillo! Your kink. Your dirt little not-so-secret. I am reading this and my jaw slowly moved toward the floor. Gobsmacked. Now... here is where I usually make it all about me (because, besides you and a few others, who is there?)(No, really...) but I will spare you my flaming thoughts (because I am SO over me... I mean, c'mon queen - you're not foolin' anyone.)

    Seriously? Thanks for sharing this. What a riot. I can't imagine. But then... I think we all go through periods of being obsessed with something that is outside our normal sphere. Good for you. And thanks for supporting the ladies. That particular 'sport' is so toxic.

    And I am loving ol' fringe face, there. Man. I would love to hop in the backseat of whatever he's driving! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      'My baby's got a secret!'
      *smooches* Aww you're too kind, Upton.
      And I'm glad I was able to surprise you a little bit. And I was OBSESSED. It seemed very foreign and very beyond anything I've ever done. It was fun and I loved Danica.
      And I love Orville. I'd love to take that ride all the way to the beach.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Wait .... you're straight? I mean, that's what I'm getting.
    But then a man with greasy hands ..... I'm thinking there might be something to this NSCAR bidness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Well, nope.
      And a big grease monkey who knows his way about my engine?
      Yes, please!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    18 hours ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.