Go back in time

Show more

Firebird


I love gay love stories. I love gay love stories that take place in a past that is not that far away, too. I want to go see this movie because the setting is eerily current and because the actors are incredibly attractive. But also because I cannot imagine what it could have been like to love a man in Soviet Russia during that time. Can you even imagine?

I think that anybody who has been in the Army, or Navy or related to anything Armed Forces at that time and up to Don't Ask, Don't Tell should have some kind of PTSD related to being gay or bisexual. There's a clear hierarchy in those settings and men are trained to follow orders and rules and regulations and loving another man was strictly verboten (it is still somehow taboo, mind you). I could understand how a man who has been in the Armed Forces would find difficult to even harbor the idea of having a relationship with another man and being open about it. When things like internalized homophobia and an absolute negation of your sexual orientation are paramount to surviving in such an institution, it's probably not unusual to find men with all kind of dysfunctions thriving in such settings. They would twist your brain for your own good. Survival of the closeted, I call it. 

I have never dated a Veteran (but would never rule it out, because they usually give me the What a Man, What a Man reaction) but I have worked with several Veterans and am friends with some and they are fantastic people. They can also be absolutely sui generis and prone to all kinds of fuckery because they've been conditioned to do things human beings are literally socialized into not doing. Killing other human beings, for example, without as much as raising an eyebrow. Also, they are trained to blindly follow orders, which in my case would be absolutely useless. I am not a good candidate for conscription,  but you probably knew that already.




So, Firebird. Yes, I wanna see this. It would even make me go to a theater, something I've only done twice during this past year. 

XOXO

Comments

  1. Looks good! Brokeback Army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Hopefully with a better ending! Between you and I, I've watched Brokeback Mountain maybe five times? I always cry.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I'd see this if it has a happy ending. From the trailer, it reminded me of "Man In An Orange Shirt".

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look like a very good movie. As you mentioned, the men are fantastically handsome. A military fantasy? Why yes, I do, thank you. Actually it’s any kind of uniform: baseball, football, soccer, etc. 😜

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks better structured than your typical Wolfe or Broken Glass production.
      It feels more 'movie'? IDK.
      And the military has always been very homophobic. Anything they put here will be totally credible. Oh, yes, uniforms!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Looks somewhat interesting. British accents? Where are the subtitles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      An accent always makes these movies more interesting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Looks pretty true-to-life, actually. Here in the US, thankfully, the penalty was not prison but a Dishonorable Discharge with the reason shown. Made it damn near impossible to find work because, well..."gay." Yet circle jerks happened. All. The. Time. 'Cause, you see, jacking off together wasn't..."gay." Yes, even stroking another dude's dick. But suck that dick and get caught.... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right!
      'Honorable Discharge' that was in fact very dishonorable, right? A terrible fate. And still the urge was there. And the no-homo principle applied. It should have not been easy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Oh I definitely want to see it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too.
      It's based on a true story, too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I love gay love stories. Who doesn't? this movie must be so goooood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I'm a sucker for gay love stories told in the big screen.
      I'd even make the trip to the theater.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. but I also like to watch short videos or read them. Everything is fine, because it is a topic - homosexual love - that interests me and fascinates me very much.

      Delete
  8. That does indeed look good. The clip drew me in for sure. I have mentioned my Russian friend. No... still have not heard from him. But the stories he told me of things he saw was flabbergasting to the gay community. Some in his own family even threatened with turning him in. I wish he'd never gone back.

    I will see this but will wait till release online or on demand. I still have not been to a theater and don't know I want to be in one yet with people in close quarters. Curses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a good job with the clip.
      And I hope your Russian friend is ok. Vlad is doing a complete cleanup of anybody he can find guilty of anything so it's not pretty in Russia right now. Even less for Queer people.
      And you are right about theaters. I went to see Eternals, though. The theater was half empty. I also went at two in the afternoon, so there's that...

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I'd like to see this, too. I love stories that make me feel as though I could be in them, and two men loving one another feels normal and right to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      And seeing it on the screen is gratifying. Representation, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Pass. Very pretty. Which typically means, very, very BORING. OMG... that is the biggest sin of gay cinema... and I am talking about the films homos make for homos... like this one... THEY ARE SO BORING. And badly written, which you wouldn't think possible given all the gay talent about... and, when they are serious, they are trite - BUT WORSE - when they think they are funny... THEY ARE SO LAME. I have sat through so many cringe worth gay films... pass.

    But you... umm... you enjoy, it, hon. The poster... it's... umm... so... large!

    (I know, I know.)

    Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      I feel you. Even though the cinematography and art design seem above your usual Wolfe or Broken Glass production. Being set in a different time makes the suspension of disbelief easier, not to mention the accents. I also like that it's based on a memoir. The author died just a few years ago. I'm definitely gonna give it a try. Even if it's to make them make more gay love stories.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.