Go back in time

Show more

Secret Garden


When my ex last visited Chicago with his husband they told me that when he retires, they'll probably go live in Thailand. And I think it's a great idea. I think I'd love to retire in some tropical place, with tons of vegetation and no winters with freezing temperatures. And I'd love to have a house like this one.

This house reminds me of my aunt's house. I used to visit it when I was a child and one of the things I truly remember is her gardens. They were not as lush as these, but they did have that quasi-wild quality that you can only get in warm climates. I find the idea of outside-in living quite inviting. One thing I noticed in the video is that the house works as a cocoon for the son.The father obviously spends time there (his collections are darling!) and the mother has an art studio, but this to me looked like the younger son's realm.

I may be wrong, but that's the impression I got. After all, it's a two-bedroom/ one master bedroom house and it could have room for the whole family. But I love the way the house has stayed and the garden has become some sort of green armor around it. They have made that garden part of their house, manipulating it ever so slightly to fit their needs. It's a house that feels loved and lived in. 

I would definitely love living in some place where there's no snow in December. Something to take into account when the time to retire comes. And I wouldn't mind the humidity. I'm a tropical fruit, after all. 

XOXO






Comments

  1. I like the indoor outdoor feel, though this gets to be SO outdoor, my mind goes to how many bugs are running through the house at any moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh
      Yes, but this is Singapore, and bugs are part of daily life, even in the most controlled environments. And it seems they emphasized the gardens. The whole house is not that open.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. you can move to Florida, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the weather in Florida. I despise the people there and their abysmal stupidity.
      I would not be able to be in such a bigoted state.
      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I'm not that savvy about the US population.

      Delete
  3. I love it, but don't know Thailand is for me. But the house itself is lovely. When I went to Costa Rica our hotel bungalow was the same concept, all open air, surrounded by rainforest, and it was cool as hell. If I could, I would CONSIDER retiring to Costa Rica.But I might miss the change in season, I don't know. I'm ready to go back again to see though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      And I would like to speak the language, and I have no idea of how to speak Thai. In Singapore I could of course speak English, so that's an advantage. People can only say great things about Costa Rica, btw. My friends RAVE about it. That is one of my options, too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. So no plans to retire in Alaska, then? Hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG no.
      Really, it's breathtakingly beautiful but no, thanks.
      My sister and her husband may also move when her husband retires, btw

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I could live in that house. I love the indoor gardens. And the way they've groomed the outdoor gardens to envelop the structure, still allowing in all the light. Retirement for me will be somewhere warm - but want ocean sounds and a sand beach. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      The outdoor gardens feel more like a cocoon than an intention. And it's so bright yet secluded... I really like it.
      And living near the sea would be amazing...
      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I love the concept of outdoor-in, though I think this is a little over the top IMHO. Like Bob, I’m concerned with the critters, but also you have to have contingencies for storms. I wouldn’t mind retiring to a more temperate climate, though I do love my seasonal changes.

    And if you don’t like the snow in December, you could always retire to Australia, exchange it for June snow 😝

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe
      I guess that when you live in a place like this, storms are part of life and they're prepared. It's a different approach to life, I guess. And Australia would be amazing. I've been thinking about showcasing some houses I've seen there...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Wow. What an accomplished family. I couldn't live there. I'd never feel safe.

    I live in a basement for a reason. :(

    But, yes... no snow. That would be nice.

    Thanks for sharing this. Fascinating how open some people live and they lead such accomplished and creative lives. Amazing stuff.

    Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I feel you. This is Southeast Asia and an island. It's a totally different state of mind to ours. And I loved their philosophy of living and how the son has kept the tradition of adapting the house to their needs and using it as a kind of creative lab.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. What is it ! Do you think you are the only one? What do you want. Should we sit around the campfire and tell stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What it is, Rich!
      I see you're off your meds again, dear.
      Good to see you still have a keyboard handy!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.