Go back in time

Show more

The Knapsack

 




So Right Wing twitter was ON FIRE yesterday because apparently a Canadian Home Depot dared remind people of their privilege. How dare they? Not like the Home Depot is that woke, mind you. You do know it was founded by Ken Langone, a Cheeto supporter, right? The Home Depot is not a hotspot when it comes to Wokeness. It's more Redneck Central than Ivy League. Also, it's not a Home Depot store in America. I knew it could not be. A cursory look at the way they spell some words it'll tell you it's most probably a Canadian store. Canadians. A better version of the U.S. at every step.

But back to the snowflakes who think anything that reminds them that they're racist assholes is supposed to be verboten: Fuck Them. The idea of shielding reactionary racists from being aware of their racism is ludicrous. Some of us work in places where Unpacking the Knapsack is customary and talking about privilege is something that few dread. But not all workplaces are the same. You probably work for a company/multinational/place that does not do sensibility training and that lets racism and sexual harassment run rampant. But you'd be in the minority. 

Not even my manfriend -who works for a company that doesn't seem that 'woke'- escapes doing sexual harassment training. It may be an Illinois thing, though. But he is one of those people who seldom checks his privilege, so I made him kind of unpack his knapsack and we got some surprises

First, he was kind of unaware of his multiple identities (gender, age, religion, socio-economic status, race/ethnicity and sexual orientation) because he went with the most obvious: the ones people can see. But there's more to him than what people see. There are several types of oppression and privilege: racial, by class, by gender, by sexual orientation, by ability, by religion, by age, by status, by military service, by immigrant status and by language.



So, he's a white, middle class, cisgender gay man, without any disability (and hence we started). He's a non-practicing xtian, over forty, does not have a four year college degree and is not a veteran (he had never thought about these, btw). And he is US-born and only speaks English. What we did realize is that almost all of his identities are the dominant identities in the United States, and those identities have been historically privileged in the United States. By recognizing this, he can understand better who he is and who are the people with whom he interacts every day. By understanding his privilege, he can:

1. Learn how others are impacted by the privileges he has (and the fact that acceptance of his privileges does not subtract anything from who he is).

2. Find opportunities to speak up and act for those who are underprivileged. This can be calling out bad jokes in social circles, donating to reputable causes, or speaking up about the lack of diversity on the workplace—to name a few (and make him an ally instead of a passive spectator, something that we are guilty of sometimes).

3. Be cognizant when speaking over or centering himself in conversations with people less privileged than him (and avoid being condescending or blind to other people's struggle, natch).

Some of these things are obvious, and some are definitely not. All of these things make us who we are. It does not mean that he has not been a target of discrimination (he may have certainly been) and each of them creates a burden on the individual that come with a set of challenges. The idea that the Right wingers refuse to see this and see it as one more reason to be outraged tells you everything you need to know about them.

Also, Peggy McIntosh's tool has been in use for years (the racists are butthurt now, but it's been around for a long time, exactly since 1989, but you know how they pick and choose their grievances) and many companies and workplaces use it to help people understand Privilege and the Systems of Power that rule over all of us. Recognizing our privileges does not mean that we have not faced challenges or that fucked up things have not happened to us. It just means that those things have not happened to us because of the color of our skin, or our immigration status or our gender identity, for example.

I have privileges. I am a cisgender male. I do not have to deal with transphobes or justify my existence every day, for example. And I would have more privilege than a cisgender female in some occasions and situations. I have a college degree and speak more than one language: that helped me get a job that would make retirement a clear possibility, that keeps me from being a paycheck away from homelessness and that keeps me from struggling without health insurance. I am not Black or Native American, but I can understand and relate to the struggle a Black man in the South goes through or the plead of a Native American woman in Colorado without negating or belittling my race or ethnicity. Recognizing my privileges does not take anything away from me, on the contrary, it lets me see and reconcile my identities and that helps me see others better. 

So, are you ready to unpack your knapsack, Constant Reader? Recognizing privilege is not a matter of shaming. It's not a matter of feeling 'too' privileged, it's a matter of understanding others and where they come from. By understanding who we are, we understand better the world around us. That's something that a Repug could never understand and it's of course beyond the understanding of any MAGAt. Being aware of our privilege (or lack thereof) is essential to understand the world around us and interact with it without melting at the least provocation. Just ask the racists on Twitter.

So here we go. A shorter version of the ADDRESSING identities self-assessment:

  • How do you identify?
  • Is your identity one that has historically experienced more privilege/power or barriers/stigma?
  • Is this identity visible, hidden, or concealable?
  • If this identity is associated with barriers and stigma, do you experience this identity as a source of strength, stress, or both?
  • How much do you think about this identity? (1 = never, 5 = very often)
  • Does this identity impact your mood or mental health (how you think, feel, behave)? (1 = not at all, 5 = completely).
  • Does this identity interact with other identities, causing more or less stress?

The answers may surprise you.

XOXO

Comments

  1. I think Tucker and his minions just cast about looking for bee hives to poke.

    I'm fortunate. My workplace is fairly woke... we have pockets of FOX NEWS nuts and MAGA supporters, but for the most part - we are doing a great job - especially when it comes to our transgender employees.

    Last week, I thought I might be getting a call from HR. On one of our Talk/Message Boards - someone was casting about asking for suggestions for future topics - the current one being generational bias. I suggested that we take a look at the assumption of white privilege. She shot back that she felt that would be covered under the look at generational bias and I shot back... you think that white privilege is a generational issue? And then I made an argument that it was systemic. But just typing about it to someone I did not personally know? Terrifying.

    Well, good for HOMO Depot. I don't shop there. I try to avoid all those big stores, as every one of those chains is owned by a greedy MAGA supporter.

    I'm glad white privilege is finally being discussed. It helped me make sense of many aspects of my life, many experiences that have left me baffled - all very recent realizations. I hope we all continue to examine it and own our part in it, if we have a part in it. I'm grateful for the whole WOKE movement. Let's call 'em out. Let's make 'em uncomfortable.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Right is always looking for the next culture war.
      It's their bread and butter. And same about my workplace. I was totally surprised when I saw a MAGA sticker in the staff parking lot, though. Equity runs rampant, though and there are very few incidents reported.
      And generational bias does not cover white privilege. Apples and oranges. White privilege needs to be discussed. Especially now.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Well Six, this was an excellent post and I have nothing to add. I know I have been privileged, but I don't and have never taken it for granted, because things can change quick. And at some point we all have been on the end of the discrimination line. But I have always been around people of all types and backgrounds and have tried not to be like those asshole, but they to share with others what I enjoy, if I can. Again, people are people, can't we just be?

    Didn't hear about the Home Depot thing being released. I have been in of course, but I tend to go to Ace True Value, which a friend of my mothers owns a franchise here.... then Lowes. Lowes was a ingrained thing from my father I think!!!!!!

    But I adore Dave!!!!!!!! They should hire him to straighten out that place , but then he'd have to deal "with them" and that's like talking to a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanx, Maddie!
      And recognizing our privilege and never taking it for granted is the way to go. It does not take away anything and it gives us a clear view of where we stand. The idea of being surrounded by diversity also helps. You know the MAGAts are afraid of diversity. It's their boogieman.

      And I love ACE! There's one in this small strip mall near where I live and the ladies who work there are super efficient! Love smaller stores.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I fit the description of your manfriend, but substitute bisexual for gay. I like to think of myself as woke, but I’m sure I fail more than I like to admit. I feel I’m aware of my inherent privilege and can recognize the struggles many encounter on a daily basis. I know I have work to do and continue to try to be a better ally where I can.

    We do need to call out the bullshit when we see it.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, like I said, bae. That describes literally a huge portion of America.
      And I think you are Woke, as in aware of his privilege but also aware of inequalities plaguing others.
      And bullshit always needs to be called out. Always.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Most people are a mixture of both privilege and oppression. It behooves us to recognize both. I assume Home Depot is training people to recognize their own privilege in order to improve customer service, so that stereotypes and assumptions don't enter into how staff treat people. And that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true!
      You and Maddie totally nailed it. Most of us are a mixture of privilege and oppression. And you may be right. It's a corporation, after all, and customer service is paramount.
      It is a good thing.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Love this, and love Home Depot, even if it is just in Canada, doing this.
    Love that it makes all the right people uncomfortable because maybe it will make them THINK for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's always good to remind people of this, even when it is preaching to the choir.
      And you know the snowflakes are gonna stomp their little feet and declare themselves uncomfortable when faced with things like this.
      But that's the aim, right? Making them think.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Actually, we're more "woke" than most people think because "woke" people spend lots of money. You have no idea how much training we actually get regarding sexual identity, harassment, detailed courses on work place violence, as well as training on how to deal with MAGA Customers, though they don't call them MAGA customers. Being in HR for a number of years, I can honestly tell you I have never seen that flyer. Knowing how easy it is to fake things, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.
      The Home Depot Woke. I think it's just avoiding a Title IX lawsuit. If there's a Union, that would also make the HD give diversity training (is there a Union at the HD? I did not find anything online) And it is a corporation after all, and as Debra said, it's Customer Service basics to make sure the people who go there keep leaving them money.
      And the flyer is real. So real Newsweek published an article saying that the police union was incensed one of the questions referred to people feeling protected by the police.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Appreciate and love all of this, Sixpence. Working for a university that puts diversity, equity and inclusion as a very big priority, I have had a lot of eye-opening experiences as to how my life is a lot different because I am a white male. I am learning and hoping to be a good role model for my kiddos so they can better understand and be the change we want and need to see in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thnx Mr. Shife!
      And working for an institution of Higher Ed really makes looking at equity and inclusion an everyday job, right? And realizing how our life differs to that of many others does not take anything away from our lives, right? That's something that the Right Wingers will never understand. Equity is not a cake. Providing it to people does not take away from our slice.
      And I love that you set the example for your children. So inspiring.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Italy is not as multicultural as other nations, so I cannot say that in Italy there are race problems like you do in the US, even if racism against minorities (gay, black people etc.) is present. Perhaps there have always been racism, even in Italy. Until 30 years ago, there was the racism of Northern Italy against the poor of Southern Italy. So I believe that racism is a human trend, which needs to be countered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6/11/2022

    My grandmother's generation called it being lucky. You were born in the right place, avoided having the wrong things happen to you, all sheer luck.

    Society is the villain here, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 day ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.