Go back in time

Show more

All Dolled Up.

 






*Full disclaimer: I stole this from Upton, who has awesome quizzes and always sends me with his questions: 

1/ As a child, were you told that dolls were for girls and trucks were for boys? Your reaction?

Nope. Come to think about it, I was never given that warning. We all played together with trucks AND dolls. Well, at least some of the boys did. Especially the younger ones. The older ones were into other stuff. I was always very 'in' with the girls when I was a little boy. Still am, I guess.

2/ Did you ever play 'dolls' as a child? What kind of stories did you act out and what role did you play?

Duh. Yes. Both the 'girl' dolls and the 'boy' dolls. Many of my dolls were kind of the little green soldiers or parachuters or something like that. Very G.I. Joe. I could spend HOURS playing all by my lonesome outside during the summer vacations. I had a very vivid imagination as a kid. I was a strange, brainy little boy. 

3/ Did you ever play Barbies? Own one? What kind of stories did you act out?

Oh, yes. My sister seemed to reserve her meanest tricks for Barbie and her friends and they always looked a little battered. It was mostly her recreating her day at school and me trying to organize their wardrobes and acting like the school nurse. I rescued them and made sure they all had shoes and her dresses were ok. My sister was a nightmare sometimes and one day would suddenly decide that they ALL needed a haircut. Poor dolls. I rescued many. 

4/ Did you have action figures as a child? Which? What kind of stories did you act out?

Absolutely. I used to play with all my soldiers and Army men mixed with some dolls, especially a mermaid with red hair who could literally 'swim'. It had a battery-operated mechanism (think those little wound-up divers) and I LOVED IT. I could spend hours playing in the water with it and pretending the little scuba men and the parachuters were boyfriends and she would help one rescue the other from some danger in the bottom of the pond I had created. I also played in a rain barrel that would stand for the Atlantic Ocean or a lake, depending on the day or the adventure I was living. My grandma would make me stop because my fingers were totally shriveled at the end of the day. 

5/ Do you have a friend or relative that collects dolls?

Nope. If they did, I would avoid them. It's just a little jarring. Especially the porcelain face ones.

6/ Do you currently have a doll (of any sort) in the house or packed away?

Look at the pics at the head of this post: I got those guys at a roadside thrift store in Texas years ago. We were driving by and I saw one of those big stars you sometimes see on the side of the houses for sale and I had to stop and gawk. They had whole sets of beautiful china in that roadside thrift shop, baking under the merciless Texan sun. Also cutlery. And a huge collection of WWF dolls. I imagined all those little boys living in the trailer parks nearby getting rid of their dolls when they moved to Dallas. I bought these four for like, a dollar. The man who sold them to me was VERY odd.  Really. He counted with his fingers while mouthing the numbers and seemed to have been at war with a comb for quite some time. I paid for the dolls and hightailed out of that store/house/warehouse very, very fast. 

7/ Any experience with ventriloquist dummies? Creepy? 

Nope. Yes, creepy as all hell.  *shudders*

8/ Did you ever make or play with puppets as a child?

Yes! I had puppets that my mom got from some lady who used to sell all kinds of cool stuff for xmas. I had them literally until I was about twelve or thirteen. I think they went to my cousin's children intact. Most of my toys went to them almost like new. 

9/ Ever watch a horror story featuring a doll, ventriloquist dummy, or puppet? Any you can recommend?

Nope. The movies in which dolls are possessed by a spirit or the like are dumb as fuck. All jumps and not a good story to save a life. Ugh.

10/ What do you think of the whole 'sex doll' movement? Would you ever own one? Find them sexy? Would you have sex with one?

Ohhhh I wrote about that in this blog. Forever fascinated by them and the men who are into them. I don't think they're overtly creepy, but I don't think I'd ever own one à la Lars and the Real Girl. They're like a giant Flashlight or a very convincing dildo. I don't judge, though. Hey, if it gets you off....

And now you, Constant Reader...
What was YOUR favorite toy when you were a kid? Whatever happened to it?

XOXO

Comments

  1. Favorite line... "and seemed to have been at war with a comb for quite some time" - priceless.

    Thanks for the shout out and I adored your answers and the graphics.

    My favorite toy was Billy Blast-off. I've written about him before. He was this tiny, chubby child astronaut with a battery pack on his back which could power his vehicles (he had three), plus a red ray gun and a television. I loved him so much that I have considered tracking him down and purchasing a vintage set.

    Sadly, as he was made of hard plastic, he was smashed to pieces one day. I am thinking my older brother had something to do with it, but, for whatever reason, I cannot recall the specifics of what occurred. I kept all the pieces and his vehicles and moon pads for years and years. It was like carrying around the ashes of a loved one.

    Anyhoo.

    Thanks for posting this quiz. I just find them to be so much fun. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      He did seem the farthest from metrosexual I've seen a man be, but it was Texas, so yeah. And Ioved the Billy Blast-off story! I googled it and it looked AWESOME! I'd buy it again, if I were you.
      And I had to steal the quiz! Too much fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I hated baby dolls when I was a little girl and never played with them. I preferred stuffed animals. I had Barbies in adolescence and enjoyed them. Now I have a few Marvel action figures but they are simply displayed, not played with per se.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you.
      Baby dolls are not as fun, right? And action figures are AWESOME! I have a friend who has a full shelf of them (some are actually quite expensive!). I'd have a Captain America/ Bucky love story going on at all times, btw.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. GI Joe. I used to make them date, taking the Jeep out for a moonlight spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. My. GAWWWDDDD
      Yes, to this! Same! I always had my toy soldiers dating each other. Always.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. As a child I used to play with toy cars. In this regard, I remember a television interview with a 35-year-old gypsy woman with 10 children. She said that at 13 she no longer played with dolls, but with men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      I loved Matchbox cars. Had some until I was well into my teens. And that Gipsy woman's recollections are chilling.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. When she said she was playing with men at 13, it made me laugh. There is still a video of her on youtube, because after a quarter of an hour, she sent LIVE fuck a political woman who scolded her for "her lifestyle".
      Translated from Italian, she said, literally:
      "Stop care of our business, mind your own business, you bitch!"

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4/28/2022

    My favorite toy by far was a Mickey Mouse. Poor Mickey disappeared one day. Later found out he'd been tossed in the trash. Well, I'll admit he WAS tattered and ragged. I had the little green plastic Army guys with trucks and tanks and the like, too. I currently have Clinton dolls --- and a Teddy Ruxpin. Those are still in boxes. Never had any inclination for a sex doll. Ventriloquist? Never had any, but I LOVE Jeff Dunham and I have three of his puppet Bobble-Heads (Walter, Peanut (my fav!), and Achmed). Big
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      I had a Mickey Mouse and a Goofy when I was very little. Loved them. I had the little green army guys, too! (I have some in one of my terrariums now, natch!)
      And are those collector's items? Now I want a Hillary bobblehead.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4/29/2022

      Lordy, are the collector's items. A Mickey from the 50's years ago sold for $50k.... XOXO

      Delete
  6. No to all of the doll questions, though I did screw up the hair of my sister's Chatty Cathy really bad. I have seen a few movies with ventriloquist dummies though, in fact, there was one point in my life where I think I dated one... dummy, not ventriloquist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See?
      I had pegged you for a G.I. Joe man. I swear.
      And I can just imagine how that dating went, Dave. I can just imagine it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. When I was around 5 or 6, I asked for a baby doll and a stroller for a birthday present. I got it because my mom was an amazing woman and knew that there was no harm in me playing with a doll. My dad was not too happy about the request and definitely tried to get me to play with more manly toys. But I was happy playing with my doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome!
      And your mom was indeed awesome. I played with tons of dolls with many boys who are heterosexual to this day. I don't think children really make a distinction, it's all play. It's us adults who inject specific taboos into things.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I was always an action figure kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Action figures are awesome.
      They do bring an edge to all the adventures we invent. And they look awesome.
      Cool you stopped by!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. Oh dear. I had to make time for this!!!!! I love your dolls too. I just bet you wish they were the giant sex dolls!!!!

    As a child, were you told that dolls were for girls and trucks were for boys? Your reaction? No one ever said anything to me with playing with dolls. And it is where I think I got my love of fashion and hair , so no surprise I ended up doing drag!!! My mother and grandmother bought me all my dolls to the dismay of my father, but as much as it bothered him, I think he wrote it off as me being a "creative child". I do believe he thought I was born bad and just a bit mad. LOL

    2/ Did you ever play 'dolls' as a child? What kind of stories did you act out and what role did you play? I always played with dolls, with boys and girls. I don't recall any spefic roles or stories about them, but no one ever got to play with Western Barbie or her horse Dallas, they were always reserved for me, at least till I got the Limited Edition Barbies, that had the big gowns and updos. But Western Barbie was cool because she blinked.

    Did you ever play Barbies? Own one? What kind of stories did you act out? Own Barbies???? I had about 15 of them! Her car, house, and her horse Dallas! Plus two Kens. My Barbies were ho's.

    Did you have action figures as a child? Which? What kind of stories did you act out? The only action figures I had were the Star Wars action figures.

    Do you have a friend or relative that collects dolls? Nope.

    Do you currently have a doll (of any sort) in the house or packed away? Nope.

    Any experience with ventriloquist dummies? Creepy? Yes. My half nephew and I who use to have sex together, he had one and used to scary the shit out of me with it. I told him to stop it or Id never blow him again. To this day because of him and movies of them, I still can't be in a room with one.

    Did you ever make or play with puppets as a child? Nope.

    Ever watch a horror story featuring a doll, ventriloquist dummy, or puppet? Any you can recommend? Yes, to many to mention.

    What do you think of the whole 'sex doll' movement? Would you ever own one? Find them sexy? Would you have sex with one? Some of them are down right hot looking, and yes, I would have sex with one to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, you know me well. If those were life-size, I'd need them to be as real as possible, dick included.
      And I loved your answers! I never did have my own Barbies but for awhile I've thought I need to buy some Ken dolls and have them date each other. For real.


      XOXO

      Delete
  10. Anonymous4/29/2022

    My favorite doll as a kid was this Planet of The Apes one. I can remember buying it too. I saw it in a store and there was a Planet of the Apes tree house and all kinds of other sets. I remember thinking I will ask for the treehouse for a birthday or Christmas. My other favorite was a Six Million Dollar man that I got for Christmas. And it came with the bionic center. You could roll up his sleeve and see the bionic in his arms and legs. And you could look through the back of his head and see through his bionic eye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.