Go back in time

Show more

OH, MISTER BROWNE...



Having to remind people every time that a collection drops that the runway is not Main Street is kind of par course here. Even though Thom Browne's tailorship is absolutely flawless, I somehow cannot see Bob rocking that petticoat (which btw would allow him more *ahem* space than that leather jock he promised to wear to the Farmer's Market) in the ice cream aisle at Trader Joe's. One thing is couture, another thing is Prêt-à-Porter. And they both influence what we're going to be wearing, like it or not. What we see at our local store (yeah, even the Men's Warehouse) is what trickles down to Main Street. A watered-down, stripped-down, dumbed-down version of what designers dream up. 

Fashion runways, IMHO are there to give an insight into the designer's mind. And they are meant to look as outlandish as they can. That's how the designer calls attention to his or her ideas. In Browne's case, a deconstructing and rebuilding of some very American staples in menswear. The craftsmanship and tailoring of his garments on the runway are fucking flawless, btw. They fit like an armor. Evern that HUGE crinoline. I also love that he fucks with any notions of gender (you sometimes cannot tell who are boys and who are the girls and I'm fine with that) and dresses both genders with equally incredible designs. 

I think that most people think they're protected by what they wear, when they low key try very hard not to stand out: it's a defense mechanism. It pays sometimes to wear dad jeans or cargo pants and a polo or button down. There's no way anybody would find any objections to those, right? But they are doing drag, at the end of the day. They're playing their part as much as that model with the bear attire is doing in Browne's show.  I, on the other hand, like to do the opposite: I try to show off my best features and cover the not-so-hot ones. My butt has still some good years left in it and I'm gonna work it for all its worth. I think that men keep their butts and legs fit for longer than women, so yeah. The midsection is the problem, gotta watch that chocolate. I hope I can get away with what I have for a few years more. I don't do trendy, though. Too expensive. 

What I'd love is to have the money to have at least one or two Thom Browne pieces, for real. The skirts,  handbags and jackets, especially. They are fucking dreamy. Once I read that a handmade, tailored-to-you jacket or suit could take up to a week of work to be ready after the second fitting. But the results are AMAZING. Really. Have you seen how Daniel Craig moves in the Bond movies? That's what excellent tailoring makes you look like.

XOXO


P.S. If you wanted to know how Thom Browne's ideas look on real people, take a look at some of his designs being worn by people to the Met Gala (remember the theme of the night):



Thi is good.



I would wear Thom Browne shoes with this, but yeah.


Maddie? Is that you?



Ugh, he's so hot....would LOVE to undress him.




*faints*

Comments

  1. They didn't say, but is this a 2 or 3 ring circus? 😎😎😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I ALWAYS trust your assessment on fashion.
      Always.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love Thom Browne, and his couture shows are a complete show of creativity and imagination. I just saw a whole segment on him one Sunday morning. He's done good and has single handily gave men's suiting new life. Not bad for a guy from Allentown PA. Not bad.

    And he could also tap me if he wanted!!!! WOOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, he's from Allentown?
      I watched an interview with him in The Business of Fashion and he talked about his influences and now it makes sense. I find his shows totally bananas and absolutely entertaining. I agree with you that he's made men's fashion (and tailoring) a well-needed injection of vitality.
      And he could hit it. Definitely.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. let me wear the skirts of this great artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I totally love his skirts. Especially when paired with pants.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I mean #6 & #7: fabulous!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5/10/2022

    Big says:
    Well, I'd wear some of his stuff if I was still having to do the fundraiser bullshit. Why not? The most ridiculous thing IMO: The 3-foot stovepipe hat. C'mon, really? LOL. But I kinda dig the capes. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5/10/2022

      BTW, it's been so windy here a cape might make me sail away, and I wonder if I've been somehow transported to Chicago! Save me Six!!
      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh, his clothes for formal occasions? Yes, please.
      He manages to follow the very strict rules of men's tailoring while making it modern and slightly dangerous.
      And the stovepipe hat? Very Abraham Lincoln elevated and I'm here for it. Would I wear it? Definitely not. Do I love it? Yes.
      And capes are the ish! Come to Chi! We'll go thrifting!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Th=ese are fabulous and those Insta looks were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they?
      I think they are absolutely bonkers and I'm loving it. Fashion needs to make you feel something and he is an expert at it. Oh, his Insta is fab.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5/11/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    You do love your fashion. I know your butt would look awesome in anything.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      Thnx bae. I think you do have to be kind of slim to pull off all that fabric, though. I love, love, LOVE the jackets. And the skirts. And the bags...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. What a lot of silliness. This is like a parody of life. Well, fashion... how fun. And you certainly have your fingers on the pulse, my dear. I like fabric. I enjoy design, color, and costumes. But I haven't any energy for this sort of thing. It's far too silly, though I do agree with your assessment of how it trickles down. Thanks for educating us fashion-challenged puss-mouths. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      It's his vision of life, all theater. The whole world is a stage and all that jazz. I also like fabric and textures. They're fun. And you don't have to invest any time or energy on it. It'll trickle down to you and you'll slip into it because it's comfy and pretty.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 day ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.