Go back in time

Show more

Queer as Fuck



I remember like it was yesterday the first time I watched an episode of Queer As Folk. It was either late 1999 or early 2000 and I was flying high on the energy of going to a college I really liked, being in the honeymoon period of a relationship that had just started and feeling like the world belonged to me (Goddes, was I wrong!). Everything was new and exciting and I could not have enough of my life. Everything was simple and easy and things just 'happened'. Or at least it seemed to me to be like that. it was a big group of friends and we would all pile up in Matty's living room and would laugh and cry and gasp and laugh again at the antics of Stuart, Vince and Nathan and their friends. Did you watch the original series?




I had never watched anything like it on TV. Ever. The idea of seeing gay men live and laugh and fuck on the small screen was absolutely new to me. It was sexy and fun and unprecedented. Seeing men that could be me or somebody I knew on a TV series, being gay and unapologetic was a rush. Having a gay soap opera seemed impossibly progressive. There was no gay marriage back then. Don't ask don't tell was a thing.  People could walk around airports without restrictions, JNCO jeans were a thing and Believe by Cher was a huge hit. It seems like yesterday but it was more like at the turn of the century when they relocated the series to Pittsburgh and we got Mickey and Brian and Justin (I always found Ben to be way hotter than Brian, but that's just me).




Now there's a new version of Queer as Folk coming to people's screens. Big was complaining yesterday about the many streaming services there are out there and I think I can agree with that sentiment: too much of a good thing can be not too good for many people. The reboot comes out today on Peacock (I don't know anybody who actually gets that service, rats!) and it's going to offer us Queer Folk updated for the new millenium. It's also gonna offer us more diversity, up to date storylines and maybe some of the same self-involvement and flaws the first two iterations had (I watched both the original series from the UK and the HBO series) but I am not asking for perfection. I stopped doing that many years ago. Also, LGBTQ+ people can be (and are) self involved and selfish. So what's new?




Many known faces are gonna pup up: Kim Cattrall (I've missed her!), Ryan O'Connell (from the fantastic Special) and Juliette Lewis (last time I saw her was in Yellowjackets) and many new faces are going to become familiar. It also takes place in another city (not Pittsburgh) and even though I'm sure the plot will get convoluted and the speeches will get ham handed, I think it could be a success. It's always good to have queer stories told on TV. Especially now, when LGBTQ+ rights are in danger, Trans people are under relentless attack from the Repuglyclowns and the religulous wrong and all the gains of the last twenty plus years could be lost due to a SCOTUS that is apparently less Queer friendly than the one we had twenty three years ago. 

Isn't it ironic, Alanis? I hope the new series gets good ratings and gets, if possible, renewed. It can fill up the blanks where the other two series (too white, too privileged, too self-referential) left open and give us characters and storylines that feel much more like... today. There's always room for improvement, no?

XOXO


Comments

  1. Queer as folk is nice, but queer as FUCK is genial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Thanks, Xersex. I do have moments.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Yes, I watched the original British series and the American remake as well. This new version looks good too, judging from the trailer! So I'll be watching it as well, Here in Canada, it's showing on cable TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous6/09/2022

      HuntleyBiGuy:
      Another reason to move to Canada 🇨🇦

      Delete
    2. Same.
      And it's great it's showing there on cable. Here is in yet another streaming service. I think it's linked to cable, but you need an app (and probably a subscription) to watch it. Huntley is right: another reason to move to Canada!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6/09/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Yes, WAY too many streaming services. This does look promising, but alas no flamboyant bird channel 🦚 for me.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.
      And it does look promising. It may correct some of the unbearable whiteness of the two previous versions and be more inclusive, which is good. And I don't get the peacock, either. Oh well.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6/09/2022

    Big says,
    See? Yet ***another*** streaming service I'm supposed to sign up (and pay) for? Guess I'll be missing this iteration. Though, I did like the old HBO one --- saw some of it in reruns and liked it. As we become more inclusive, so will entertainment. But, for my part, I want it to happen organically. When it's forced, it just doesn't work. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I totally thought about you when I read it was Peacock. I didn't even know they streamed. But EVERYBODY and their cousin Rick stream these days. I watched the UK version and all the run of the American remake. It was so good for its time!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Never watched it because it was never on any of the channels Comcast carried back then, and now? I rarely watch Soaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it was a cable thing.
      They live in video, though. I just recently ran into the UK version in a thrift store. I was soooo tempted. But then I remembered I don't have a DVD player...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Have never watched the original. Too pretty. Too meh. It's one of those gay shows removed from all reality. The new one looks pretty removed, too... that's a lot of privilege on display. Anyhoo... I really like Ryan O'Connell and am glad he landed somewhere. His series, Special was quite good in parts... the first season is excellent. I also like a few of the actresses quite a bit... Julliette? Who wouldn't? But, doubt I will check this out anytime soon. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah.
      Both the UK version and the American version were very pretty, very middle class, very white. Blindingly white, actually. The new one has more inclusion of POC and diverse gender expressions, though. The main character is Black and yes, O'Connell is playing the brother. I would watch, but I'm not willing to sign up for something just for one series...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Hope it is worthy, Sixpence. I remember the original but never watched it. I agree that the streaming services are becoming a little too insane these days. I honestly have to stop and think about what we have subscriptions to and probably don't even use some of them. I am going to blame the kids and not my aging memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the original was indeed groundbreaking.
      And I'm not surprised you didn't watch it. It was unapologetically gay, so I'm not sure many straight people tuned in. And I usually do viewing parties with people. I only officially have Hulu and Netflix (and my hands are full with those) but I do know people who have Paramount+ and Amazon and I sometimes watch things on those platforms too.
      Hahaha blaming the kids always comes handy!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Loved both version and hope I can see this just for comparisons. Looks like a nice reboot/update.
    I also do not stream. It's just too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hope I can catch parts of this reboot.
      I think they may include things that the two original versions missed. There's more people of color, for one. And there's the inclusion of the PTSD caused by a shooting. There's also disabled and gender non-conforming characters.
      It should be interesting.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I probably won't watch. I'm tiring of shows and movies getting rebooted so early when the originals don't seem too old to me yet. I also think it's going to be hard to capture the chemistry the Brit and Showtime versions had, and most likely won't have the stamina that Showtime's version had.

    I too agree about Ben!!! LOVED! Robert Gant. OH DADDY!!! I used to have a scenario in my head of Ben and Brian spit roasting me, while Drew Boyd sucked my cock. They had such an excellent cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, babes, the original is twenty two years old. It's officially an adult now.
      And the thing with the original ones is that the characters were defined and kind of tri-dimensional. We were invested. That's why so many series after QAF failed: they didn't have a soul.

      And I still LOVE Robert Gant. Yes. Yes! YES! He was the sexiest actor in the whole ensemble. I recently found him on IG. He still looks delicious. And that scene you had going on there sounds hawt! I'd watch.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 day ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.