Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Raja...!




"These are the times that you've got to scare the shit out of yourself as an artist." 

Raja (a.k.a Sutan Amrull) is one of my favorite Drag artists. Raja kind of personifies an idea I have of drag that predates RPDR and social media: Drag as Punk Rock. Drag as counterculture. Drag as messy and as creative outlet. Drag as anti-establishment. That's kind of the vibe Raja always gives me when she's on screen and what makes her interesting in my eyes.

I've watched Raja and Raven on Fashion Photo Ruview for YEARS. When they first started they would rake in one thousand views and that was a record. Then Raven left (she is RuPaul's head makeup artist, and has her own makeup contest on WOW, natch) and Raja literally mentored Gottmik to sit with her in WOW's basement and continue a fun, irreverent and witty tradition: talking about Drag Queen's costumes on Drag Race. And I really enjoyed it. It was not just the format (they go over the looks and they toot it (good) or boot it (bad) and they say why. Simple, right?). When you add personality, savoir faire, a great sense of style, a fantastic disposition, some win and one or two edibles, then you have a great recipe. Watching Raja and Raven (and later Raja and Gottmik) was fun and illustrative (you learn a ton of shit about Drag that only Drag artists know) and it was... a blast. Because they made it interesting. I stopped watching FPR when Raja went into All Stars and I feel I made the right decision. The replacement has been shit. Do not recommend.

But back to Raja. I watched Raja win her season (I've been watching Drag Race from the jump, when it was a vaseline-smudged little wonder on Logo) and have always tried to follow what she's doing. Her Twitter is nothing more than horoscopes and fun memes but her Instagram (@sutanamrull) is fabulous. Do recommend. I feel Raja has never really paid too much attention to social media, like other Drag Queens, who focus their brand on looks that capture the eye. She's been doing Drag for thirty years and honey, she does KNOW what she's doing. When I learned Raja was going to be in this All Stars (All Winners!) season, I decided I wanted to watch. So I found out who had Paramount+ and I watch with them. Oh, BTW, the manfriend, who really is not too much into Drag, is a Raja fan, too. So there's that: because I used to watch FPR with Raja and Raven on YouTube, he kind of decided to stick around and even though he could do without the full RPDR episodes, he'd ask: 'aren't there any toots and boots?'. He found the banter funny and thought Raja and Raven looked very pretty. Yes, he's kind of basic when it comes to Drag, but hey.

So Raja is competing with Ivy Oddly, Jinkx Monsoon, Monét Xchange, Jaida Essence Hall, The Vivienne, Trinity The Tuck, and Shea Coulée to get a cool $200.000. They're all fab and I adore them, but my fav is Raja. Is she going to win? I have no idea (but I bet she'd love the two hundred thousand dollars) but at this point, she's got two stars (only two contestants have three, won through challenges) and one contestant has only one (Shea!!). The season is fabulous, btw. Nobody goes home (they're all winners, baby) but if they win a challenge/episode they have got to block another Drag Queen from winning a badge. It's devious and fun and a riot watching them trying to strategize and play the Reality TV game. 

What I think has been even more fantastic is that people who did not know Raja, or had never watched FPR now have had the chance to get a taste of this fantastic entertainer. Is she always on point? Probably not. Is she always great to watch? Most definitely. So if you kinda want a primer on Raja, just watch the video and go deep into YouTube (all the challenges for the season are there) and find out about this season. 

So will she win? I have no fucking idea. But as she said, she was in it for the fun of it all and to show all the thousands of dollars she invested in her costumes. And if that's not the spirit we need to have when going into a competition, I don't know what it could be. And I hope she gets five hundred thousand more followers on Insta. She already has a cool million. 

XOXO



P.S. some of Raja's looks this season:



And here’s Raja being… Raja.




Comments

  1. Anonymous7/11/2022

    Big says,
    Well, of course, drag has been around for centuries. IMO, it kind of started going mainstream with Boy George and David Bowie, and then it just sort of took off. It's good to see someone from that era still enjoying the spotlight. That's sustaining --- the true test of talent!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally.
      I agree. Many artists have bent gender norms.
      And Raja has been doing Drag for awhile now. I like her style.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Two things: haven't seen this version of AllStars because I don't stream, though I remember your Snatch Game post and because of that I was totally Team Jinkx. But I adore Raja's looks; she nails it every time I've ever seen her.
    That said, I read this:

    "a vaseline-smudged little wonder"

    and thought you were talking about yourself, until I read the rest of the sentence. Now and forever, I will think of you as a vaseline-smudged little wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did post that!
      Yes, She did great but Jinkx killed it, of course. And Raja's looks are killer.
      And I'm cackling right now. I indeed AM a vaseline-smudged little wonder! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Interesting, like Bob, I don't stream this channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but this is about the artist, not the program.
      Again, the forest for the trees.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I like Raja, but for some reason have a hard time labeling her a drag queen. I feel she is more an editorial artiste'. I will say, I think she looks far campier in All Stars this season then her own season where she won. I have the feeling she won't win. I think the huge title is going to go to Jinkx or Trinity. That damn Jinkx can just do it all so effortlessly. When I go to a drag show, Jinkx is what I expect to see.

    On a side note, Raven is beat for the gods. But she is one bitter queen with a chip. I have no idea why either; she has no reason too. I wished so that season Tatianna would have clawed Raven's eye out. Raven may appear tough, but Tatianna is not to be trifled with, she would have beat her ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Raja.
      And I feel she could totally be an editorial artiste! What a great descriptor! And she's showing a side of her we usually don't see (she made FPR fab, though). And I also think it's going to be Jinkx or Trinity or Monét. Jinkx is definitely one to block.
      And Raven is a fantastic make up artist!! That mug! And now I cannot help but imagining Tatiana beating up both Raven and Tyra that season! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. LMAO!!!!!!! Tyra!!! Even RuPaul kick that bitch to the curb. One of two...tyra then Sharon. Tyra wants nothing to do with drag anymore.

      Delete
    3. Tyra Sanchez is a poor, misguided, petulant, probably mentally ill boy in a dress. Didn't she post that Morgan McMichaels was dead and then threatened to bomb DragCon? And then played the victim?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this post. It makes me think even more about how we, as a community, need to recognize and honor the elders of what is a very diverse queer universe. We don't usually unless they are someone like Raja but the need is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure!
      And you are right. We need to learn more about and from the people who came before us. I think Raja brings to the table things that younger Drag artists do not: references, ideas, camp, commentary on queerness, even looks. We do need that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Indian roots? the shape of her eyes would say yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think her parents are Indonesian.
      She references her ancestry all the time when she's in and out of Drag.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I was there at the beginning, too... when Logo appeared, we snapped it up. Loved it. Thought it was the future. But Drag Race felt icky pretty quickly. Phi Phi O'Hara ruined it for me. Loathed that season. It was an ugly, pointless affair. So, I stopped watching. Learn about things thanks to you, Maddie and The (Gay)tekeeper. Glad you still love it. The looks are fun. It's like costume 101 - but the more mistakes you make the more fun the outfit. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was so much fun.
      It still is, IMHO. But it is, above all, a reality show and as such, it falls prey of its own format. I heard PhiPhi quitted Drag. Pity she was talented. And Raja's looks are great! She's been criticized because her looks are not 'perfect', but I agree with you, the less perfect, the better.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    2 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.