Go back in time

Show more

Squirrelfriends...!


Join RuPaul’s Drag Race legends Raja, Jinkx Monsoon, Jaida Essence Hall, Monét X Change, Trinity The Tuck, Shea Couleé, Yvie Oddly, and The Vivienne in conversation with Tony, Grammy and Emmy winner Ben Platt on their dazzling, powerhouse new season of RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars. Recorded May 9, 2022, at The 92nd Street Y, New York.

By now you may know that Ben Platt was indeed a guest judge in one of the RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars and that he was here talking to the girls after he had already met them (the backstage Untucked with him was a blast!). I was talking with a friend about the impact that a show like Drag Race would have on someone's career and how just a few hours of exposure at a national (and international) level could do for someone's career in entertainment. Apart from the obvious perks of taking part on a reality TV for a performer, there's the fact that they do earn actual money both by being in the program (they are salaried) and by winning challenges (thousands of dollars). They also gain something that in the XXI century people seem to value more than many things: exposure to the public at large. Whomever says being on Drag Race does nothing for their careers or that their success is not related to their being in the program is lying. 

But not all the contestants that have gone through the program are vacuous personalities like Violet or Pearl. Some, like the ones in this version of the program, are actually quite self-reflective, intelligent and observant individuals and can look back (and ahead) when talking about their careers in entertainment and see beyond the wigs and the costumes and the makeup.  They have also put out the most fantastic Drag runways and talent showcases I've seen anywhere. And have managed to show that they have had some of the most fun, most creative challenges in the history of RPDR. Just one ro two weeks back they did spoken word lip-sync, à la Lypsinka (more classic Drag, impossible) and the week before that The Vivienne ate up the scenery during the silly Santa's School for girls). I thought Raja was going to be on the top many more times (but I'm biased) and then -spoiler alert!- she's been blocked by Monét because apparently she was the only Queen that had never been blocked until now and that's reason enough.

Even though this is not a post about the show per se, I'll have to say that there's still one more episode to go and shit is getting real. At the end, the Queens on the top will have to do some kind of Rulapalooza Lip Sync Extravaganza (or something like that) but I have no idea who's going to win the two hundred thousand dollars prize. They are all EXCELLENT (my bet was Jinkx and Raja with Shea and The Vivienne but shit changes in a second in these contests, so now I have no idea of who's going to win) but they all deserve to win that money. And it's also a win for the viewer because we get to see a fantastic display of charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent. Yes, hunny. It's like that.

Not everybody watches Drag Race, and not everybody should. It's like when I was watching NASCAR. It was fun for me at the moment but not everybody would have found it entertaining even though learning about some of the racers is fascinating. Going beyond the obvious is always a perk, though. So I think it’s worth a look at a panel like this, because their Drag personas are as interesting as the people behind the makeup.

XOXO

P.S. If you watch, you'll get a peek at a very 'real' moment, when one of the Drag artists is talking smack about somebody else and gets a surprise! 


Comments

  1. Sadly, I must wait until it comes on VH1 since I don't stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but the highlights are on Youtube.
      You can watch the challenges on the RPDR channel and they have a hysterical recap with the runways called The Pit Stop. I am not watching the franchises, for example. But I keep up more or less with what's going on thanks to YouTube.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7/25/2022

    Since we don't have but two streaming (I refuse - ***refuse*** - to keep paying for more and more and more), like Bob we'll have to wait until it repeats on a standard cable network.
    But I dare say you are correct. These contestants aren't the airheaded people they portray. Folks need to remember this is "performance art." XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7/25/2022

      Big also says,
      The fact that the general public does this to all celebrities is sad, though, isn't it? XOXO

      Delete
    2. Big, most everything is on YouTube at this point. That's how I keep up with all the Draggery.
      And you are right, basically people think that the contestants are just makeup mavens who dress as girls. It's so much more than that. And it's always been kind of a drawback to working in show business that the public does feel the need to do this to anybody on the spotlight.
      It's the nature of the beast, I guess.
      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I very seldom watch the All-Stars. But had to watch this one. It has breathed new life into the All Stars which was getting stale. Meanwhile while in Ptown I ran into Raja Kasha Davis and Milk at the Boatslip!! Raja had on her dress where she won the platinum plunger. And I thought I wanted to suck Milk's cock. My.... he is sexy out of drag.

    I hope to be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you.
      The inclusion of All Winners in the All Starts format has been genius. These girls really have nothing to prove and everything to win. And I love Raja! She's got fabulous style. And Milk? Oh, I agree. Hot, hot, hot.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. everyone has his/her charme (If I think all they're me, I get horny!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.