Go back in time

Show more

Memory Lane

 


I never thought I would get as engrossed in Colton Haynes’s memoir as I was. The thing is, even though our realities cannot be more different (he's been a model and actor and has been in movies and series -Teen Wolf, The Flash, American Horror Story- and had a different upbringing...) there were many things I related to and I could not put the book down.

Like him, I wanted to leave my hometown from a very early age (I left when I was sixteen) and started having sex very early (fourteen) with much older guys. They never 'groomed' me, mind you. Some of them, I basically seduced, just like Colton did. Some men have always had an unfailing radar to find me. The only problem is that I, like Colton relied on being cute to get the men and things I wanted when I was younger. That was not good.

I did not have to go through the things he had to (I did not work in entertainment or have ever been that good looking) but I did break some people's hearts along the way and that, I regret. I, like Colton, was Mama's boy, but my relationship with my mother was not as dysfunctional. My mum understood me like very few people did or has. And just Iike Colton, I look like my mom and share some of her character traits. 

It was a very interesting read, especially because he pulls no punches in painting himself in a corner and then explaining how and why is it that he fucked up. It takes courage to recognize that one has fucked up and reflect on our lives and times and for that, I give him Kudos.



"Maybe you’re thinking, So what? Boo-hoo. What did I expect — to be handed a satisfying career because of the way I looked? Now I can see I was foolish to think making it would be easy or fun. The thing that made me valuable in private — my conspicuously gay sexuality — was a liability as I tried to make my way through the industry. This was in an era when casual homophobia was still a regular punch line on TV sitcoms."


This excerpt appeared on New York Magazine and it was one of the things that made me get the book. I found it interesting and relevant, so I got it from my trusty public library, where I'm getting a book every two weeks. It's been fantastic, going back to read this summer. I hope I can keep it up. With work and life I sometimes forget how good it is to lose ourselves in a fun book.



"I signed with a new team, but the rules were the same. It considered the XY photo shoot I had done so radioactive it had lawyers send cease-and-desist letters to anyone who posted the images online. When I was photographed cozying up with Lauren Conrad at an event in 2011, I was told not to deny our rumored relationship — better to have the tabloids speculate about us. (She must have known I was gay, but we never spoke about it.) At a photo shoot for a fashion editorial, the XY pictures were up on the mood board. A member of my team threw a fit. I understood because it was explained to me repeatedly — by managers, agents, publicists, executives, producers — that the only thing standing between me and the career I wanted was that I was gay. It was like this for my best years of work, throughout the early 2010s, as I built a career on young-adult shows like MTV’s Teen Wolf and the CW superhero series Arrow. It’s not just straight people who are the gatekeepers — the call often comes from inside the house. I’m eternally grateful to the handful of gay men who created opportunities for me: Jeff Davis, Greg Berlanti, and Ryan Murphy. They were the exception, not the rule."


Internalized homophobia is a cancer. It eats people from the inside and it makes them be the worst they can be. Self-hating, closeted faggots condemn themselves to lead a miserable existence. Bitter, fearful and thoroughly unhappy, they make their own lives and other people's lives (usually out gay men without their baggage) literal hell. I pity and despise them in almost equal amounts. When Colton came out of the closet and then published that picture from XY (I remember that magazine!!!) on his Instagram, an exorcism was in progress. He was getting rid of self-hatred and the power other people had over him. 

For such a handsome man, Colton shows depth, understanding and reflexion. Not always something you expect to find in beautiful people, to tell you the truth. I can imagine how difficult could have been for him to rehash his past, address his addiction and recognize what and who he did wrong. It takes gumption. And that makes the book worth a read. So if you have kept your Public Library card updated, make sure you take this book out and read it. It's easy reading. I was done in three days just by reading a little before bed each night. And I'm telling you, it feels like a friend and you are having a ki-ki. 

Totes recommend.

XOXO



@COLTONHAYNES






Comments

  1. Just proves how hard it is still to be yourself and to be accepted for being yourself. Evolution is slow, people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many, many actors go through this. And the call is coming from inside the house, to boot.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. HuntleyBiGuy8/23/2022

    I’ve been a Colton fan since Teen Wolf, so much gay baiting on there. Like many I wasn’t aware of his backstory and the toll it took on him. The psychological pressures of the closet can be unbearable and fraught with many perils for young and old. Fortunately he got the help and mentors he needed.

    I’ll have to see if my library has or can order this. Been so long since I’ve been there. I’ve been doing audiobooks while working.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      Teen wolf was literally gay. And he was under a lot of pressure. Had to go to rehab and all that jazz. And I got it through my library. They have interlibrary loan. Ohh audiobooks are cool!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Actually, I'm only vaguely familiar with the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been on TV a lot.
      I think I know him better from Arrow and Teen Wolf, though.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. He doesn't look very happy in those most recent photos at the end of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think it's the sequels of the closet.
      I think even in some candid photos he looks a little tense. It takes time to let go of the restrictions of internalized homophobia.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I'm going to suggest this book to my LGBTQ book club. We just got finished reading a book called "How We Fight For Our Lives" by Saeed Jones. It's his memoir of how he came out and struggled with it. Really good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool memoir!
      And it does lend itself to discussions of coming out, the cloet, substance abuse and even how to foster healthy relationships...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I tried like hell to read it. Like you I could see myself and share some of his thoughts, but for some reason I just could not push through the book and ended up giving it to a friend with my regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I did!
      It was easy summer reading. He's no Hemingway and for memoirs I think that's good enough. But I'm glad you made ure the book found a good home!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Most memoirs are self-serving garbage because most people who become famous aren't self-aware enough to view themselves objectively. That's why I stopped reading them. It is part of the story... but only the part they wanted to tell. Biographers are much less forgiving, so, if I am going to read anything about the life of a famous person, I look for someone who actually dug the dirt to get the story. Glad you related to what he had to share. He looks like a very pretty person. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9/09/2022

    Arrow more than the Flash. He played the original Speedy. I mean, not "original", the Speedy of Earth-2 was immortal (in the sense of being born in 1928 and still being 13 in the 80s; bear in mind, Robin was middle-aged in the 80s) and belonged to a team called the Seven Soldiers of Victory; he died in Crisis on Infinite Earths. (As did a lot of people: Unlike the Arrowverse, the point here was that everything changed to simplify DC's history. And every time you say the post-Crisis continuity was simpler, somewhere, Donna Troy, Black Canary and Hawkman are laughing.) But you know what I mean. The post-Crisis Speedy is mostly the Earth-1 Speedy, e.g. the Titans, his history with heroin addiction, but he is a descendant of Vandal Savage, an evil neanderthal (and the first cannibal) of Earth-2.

    What bothers me is how none of Roy's moments were really adapted besides him losing an arm. Which is kinda funny, since that storyline, he jumped the shark so hard DC rebooted again in 2011 and he's still hard to care about, if not actively offensive.

    The thing is, Roy was a father (though Lian died in the same storyline where he lost an arm, and now she's working with Catwoman?, and they just had to tie Jason Todd, connected to the aforemebtioned offensiveness, in there), a recovering addict, and had two separate teams. But none of that was on Arrow.

    The Outsiders and the Action Comics series from the 80s, by the way, are filled with gay subtext.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    2 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    1 week ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    4 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    5 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.