Go back in time

Show more

Cemetery Boys

 


When his traditional Latinx family has problems accepting his true gender, Yadriel becomes determined to prove himself a real brujo. With the help of his cousin and best friend Maritza, he performs the ritual himself, and then sets out to find the ghost of his murdered cousin and set it free.

However, the ghost he summons is actually Julian Diaz, the school's resident bad boy, and Julian is not about to go quietly into death. He's determined to find out what happened and tie off some loose ends before he leaves. Left with no choice, Yadriel agrees to help Julian, so that they can both get what they want. But the longer Yadriel spends with Julian, the less he wants to let him leave.

You know I read that blurb and I HAD to read the book. Perfect to celebrate All Hallow's Eve, Latinx history month and LGBTQ History month in one sweep and delightful stroke. I am enjoying this, of course. You know me and how I love intersectionality (yes, is one of those 'woke' words reactionaries hate and which of course, I love) and this little gem has lots of it.

The idea of combining issues pertaining a subculture (the Brujx) and the life of a Latinx Trans boy who falls for a ghost sparkled with a murder mystery was just perfect for this time of the year. Don't you think? I have not finished the book yet (I'm savoring it, which is kind of difficult because it's YA and super readable) but I'm working my way through it. I need to return it on the 20th (it's from my trusty local public library) so I have just three more days to savor it. And you know what? You should get it, too. It's fun, engaging reading. Who knows? You may end liking it as much as I do.

XOXO

P.S. It's a good book. Oh, you don't trust me?

  • 4 weeks on the New York Times Best Sellers list.
  • Winner of the 2021 Pacific Northwest Book Awards.
  • Selected for the 2020 Longlist for the National Book Award for Young People’s Literature.
  • Lodestar Award finalist for the 2021 Hugo Awards. 
  • Nominated for the Goodreads Choice Awards 2020 for Best Debut Novel and Best Young Adult Fantasy.
  • Nominated for the inaugural Barnes & Noble Children’s and YA Book Awards.

P.P.S. And here’s Aiden:




Comments

  1. You're right -- perfect for this spooky season! Or any other time of the year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      I am doing some spooky books just for kicks, but these topics? Always good. It's also one of those books in danger of being in the Banned Books list.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I'm avoiding everything even remotely Young Adult. I'm too old to be that dumbed down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, babes.
      It's your loss. Not everything YA is Twilight. Take this book, that won a Lincoln Award, was nominated for a Hugo Award and for a National Book Award, among other things. YA is fresh, new, daring. Why do you think they have a Banned Books list of YA?

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10/18/2022

    Big says,
    Something to read??? Oh, you know I'm in. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      It's a good read. I have had to pace myself to enjoy it. I'm planning on reading other of his books next month. I love Fantasy.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. No it sounds like the kind of book I usually read I will have to see if I can order it. Of course I'm already backed up with five books. Autumn and winter are generally the only two seasons I read. Have you tried to read a book on a gay beach in Spring and summer? Yeah you don't get too far with what, all the near naked sites around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it.
      If you don't want to buy it, get it at your local library. I also have a list waiting for me for this Fall. And I know that bringing a book to the beach is useless, I'm always looking at the men.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10/18/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Combine Halloween and LGBTQ+ into one book…perfect for the season.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I know, right? I have another one set for when I finish this one...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Just what I need. Another book to add to my stack. My goal for a Fall/Winter read was to finally read Proust and still it sits there gathering dust. Maybe I will just have the Proust buried with me and read it in the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Same! OMG reading Proust is quite the endeavor. I don't think I've read the whole A la Recherche du Temps Perdu. Darn.
      This one should go down more easily.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun read ... and since we always called Carlos' Aunt Gloria, 'La Bruja.' I'm anxious to read about a Brujo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Oh, you'd love this one. It has a fantastic background and it explores issues of ethnicity and race.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Me fío de tu recomendación, aunque no sé si será fácil de encontrar por aquí este libro...y Aiden es muy mono y achuchable, ¿verdad?
    ¡Un abrazote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pero Angelillo!
      Amazon es un gigante. Estoy seguro que Bezos llega a España. Y Aiden es un guapete!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. here he's his IG profile: https://www.instagram.com/aidenschmaiden/
    Obviously he's sooooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how fun. I love how mainstream gay lit is becoming... I can't wait for the day when being gay in a major feature of a gay novel... do you know what I mean? Minus the rejection. Minus the self loathing. Minus the drama. Where being gay is just a part of who we are and not trauma inducing. He's cute, by the way. I'd smack his ass for sure. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.