Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Mr. Formby...


Ok, so this could be one of the houses that I've liked the most from all of the houses I've posted here. And it does not have anything to do with Rudolph Valentino or Stevie Nicks, even though those two add cachet to a very, very cool house that definitely stands out for all the right reasons. Or with the incredibly adorable house owner. I wanna lick him.

Anyway, one of the things we seldom see is the 'before' of the houses we tour. We do not get to see how the previous inhabitants had decided to decorate those rooms and how they looked before the person who is showing the house now decided to have a hand at them. We only see the fantastic, incredibly chic and elegant final result. But here we get glimpses of what this house looked before it got an incredible overhaul and I like it even more.

Scott's obviously somebody who knows what he's doing. Duh. But really, I was not expecting these results. I think this is a fantastic way to use color. It separates the living spaces and it brings to the forefront the best features of the rooms. Also, the use of pattern and how space is allocated. Brilliant. 

This home was built in 1924 (just three years after the one that Bob posted was built!) and it's a fantastic example of Spanish Colonial (told you the best ones are in Cali!) and yes, Valentino built it for a friend and Stevie lived there. But what gave me an idea of the changes was those 'before' photos of the living room and the kitchen! Nothing to do with Scott's vision! And we are better for it.

I cannot imagine the process of doing the architectural fixes (arches, floors, the works) before even installing the mural, that literally makes the living room. Also, this is the kind of room that can be painted a deep hue and it'll look sophisticated and sexy. I think it's the use of texture, too. It's inviting and sensual. And then there's that ceiling and all the art, and Scott knows his art (duh, designer??) I love when people can name drop and make it sound like '... and I got this at a sale at Target'. Love that.

So the fact that the dining room (that was an 'entertainment center in the first floor) are in the second floor, I think it's fantastic. Because the house is built in the hill, this makes sense. The dining room is dreamy -notice the chairs- and I think I totally love tables that are not square. I love the wall color (that green is my fav green and it's NOT an easy color), and the sitting corner is just dreamy, and the kitchen! I think I like the kitchen's personality and attitude. It's like it's a kitchen that does not really want you to think about it as a 'kitchen'. It's charcoal with turquoise accents, natch. 

And what about the laundry room that ended up being a powder room? Right? And then you land in the bedrooms and you seem to be in a totally different house. Love that journey, especially because it involves that little bathroom with all the patterns. And then there's the pool outside the studio. I immediately thought about Big. If this were my house, you'd be all invited. Really.

XOXO




Comments

  1. I love the style, but, oy, all the stairs from the street and then up through the house??? Could I get one of Maddie's houseboys on loan to carry me??
    Downside: that u-shaped island in the kitchen is built for one person to work in, and feels a wee bit claustrophobic, though I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the style and the use of color, too.
      And this is a 1920s house and accessibility was not really a point, after all, they built it on the hill. I don't mind the stairs and I love the little terraces they create, btw. I did not think about the practical aspects of the island. I don't really cook much! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10/27/2022

    Big says,
    Well, now.... I like the architecture and it's really good that he restored those features. Not crazy about his decor design aesthetic, though. It's all way too busy for me. That 'breathe' sign - yes, please! Take me outside to that pool area! OMG! Yes, yes, yes! I've always thought my yard is way too flat and would've loved a way to add levels. But, alas! because, you know, the desert.... XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the work it should have gone on all that remodeling.
      And I do like his aesthetic. The eclectic style downstairs and the more streamlined approach upstairs really did it for me. And I did think about you with that pool! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10/27/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I like the rooms in the house, but the four levels is a bit much (I’m not getting any younger). And I see it’s set up for Maddie with cockatail setups on all levels. I like the warm colors, though the studio seemed a little bland to me, but I guess that would help with the creative process.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? I liked the levels. And don't get me started with the younger thing, Mr. Rip Van Winkle! LOL
      Haha I did think about Maddie and cocktails and game tables. A ver social house, too. I liked the studio compared to the rest of the house. It sets it apart by style and use.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. # 13:50 love this huge room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes.
      It's my fav, I think. And I don't think it's that big, I think it's the incredible ceilings.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. the whole home is big!

      Delete
  5. The color pallet is nice, but not the mural. Tall ceilings! Wow! But I agree with Bob about the stairs. An elevator is definitely needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the use of color in that living room and I think the mural was genus. Only a room like that can pull off something like that and look cool.
      I don't mind the stairs. I'd get my daily steps just going down to water the plants....

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Love the house and it's gorgeous, but I got a little on nerved in the video. He is a Dead Ringer, and looks, mannerisms , and the way he sounds, like a guy I used to bang. He was a landscaper and stop seeing me because he said I had too mich of a sexual appetite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Although, I will say his home reminded me of a hotel.

      Delete
    3. Wait.
      Somebody told you he could not see you anymore because you had TOO MUCH OF A SEXUAL APPETITE???? What?
      And I loved the house and I loved that it's set in several levels. I can see how it can appear to be one of those boutique hotels that are super stylish and small. I would live in one of those, too!

      XOXO

      Delete
    4. Yes six, can you imagine someone telling you that? I was even questioning if he was really gay. And I'm with you on the boutique hotel I can most definitely live in one of those. And when I said his house looks like a hotel I meant that as a compliment. Most boutique hotels these days are stunning.

      Delete
    5. It's kinda crazy. Especially because the relationship was very physical. But it happens. Some people do have a shy libido.
      And I agree about the boutique hotels. Seriously beautiful and stylish.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. The house is awesome and I am so jealous. Not of the house - I mean I wouldn't turn it down - but the skills and the vision to turn it into something like that. Amazing and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG same.
      I want to have those skills that allow some people to have that incredible vision. It's just the way things are juxtaposed that makes their spaces look so fantastic...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.