Go back in time

Show more

Velvet Rope


One of my first 'official' concerts was Janet Jackson. And you wouldn't know who was opening. But Janet was the main attraction. She's always been my favorite Jackson, btw. I liked Michael, but Janet was the ish. She still is the OG. I think that most contemporary female acts owe her a debt of gratitude because she set the blueprint for women entertainers. The concert we attended was absolutely mind-blowing to little old me. I had never seen anything like it. We got there very early, of course. It was July and we all crowded together in an old red Honda without air conditioning to drive to Cleveland. We had cash for the merch and the drinks and were more than ready to dance the night away. And we did. Little did I know at that time that I would be back to Cleveland and work there for four years many years after this concert.

The feeling of being in a 'grown up' setting, doing something you have only seen people do in movies or TV is always surreal. When you're young everything is too bright, too loud, too new. So is seeing someone you've always admired  in a live setting. Janet is not a tall person, but on stage she is bigger than life. She does not have Whitney's pipes, but can that girl ENTERTAIN. And she did it, thoroughly that night. Those moves! We can still see Janet's moves in almost any female performer on stage today. 

I remember the huge LED screens, the wardrobe, the dancers. I remember she did If and Miss you Much and Rhythm Nation. She did Got 'til it's Gone and That's the Way Love Goes and we lost our minds. I remember screaming my head off and dancing like a maniac. We were in the nosebleed seats, of course, drinking from giant CocaCola containers and raising hell. I think there was weed and maybe E, but I was high on the music. I've never really needed any enhancements to get me going when there’s music to dance to.

Today is the anniversary of the launch of The Velvet Rope, the name of the record Janet was promoting with that concert. I love that record. I had the CD (remember when Columbia Records would let you buy I don’t know how many CDs for a buck?) and I played it on my little boombox until I thought I was gonna wear it out. All of the songs in that record are a vibe. All of the songs in that record get me into the groove. All of the songs in that record spoke to little queer me. The one I still remember and still gets me verklempt? Together Again. The man that song reminds me of was huge in my life. HUGE. I don't know where he is now or how he is doing. He liked living dangerously, though. So there's no telling. But that IS his song. Hey, Jamie. How's Saint Laurent? How’s London?

So, this post is in honor of that record, and that concert and that time of my life. And that video at the top? That's Miss Jackson today. Looking as flawless as always. Killing it dancing, as always. Getting me in the mood, as always.

It’s always been Janet’s Rhythm Nation. We just live here. 


XOXO

P.S. and here's Janet talking about her iconic videos, natch. It's wall to wall Janet today here at The Day and The Time, Constant Reader. 


I just don't think I could pinpoint which is my fav Janet video. Really. They're all soooo good!

Comments

  1. As I was telling Upton I never thought she was going to be coming back. Talk about a long hiatus. I love the new song. I think control and Rhythm Nation were my two favorite albums. Never saw her in concert though. I only ever saw Taylor Dayne,Cher, En Vogue, and Madonna twice.

    To me she was the only Jackson. I was by far never a fan of Michael Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think she's never been totally gone. She's always doing little projects and the such and that I imagine keeps her vital. I think she did go underground while her baby was born, but she's back.
      OMG I also saw Madonna twice and Cher. I would have loved to see Taylor Dane and En Vogue!
      To me, there would have not been Destiny's Child without En Vogue.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I just heard 'Make Me' at Upton's. Never heard it before and lovelovelove it.
    I'm with Maddie; when you say Jackson I only think Janet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG yes!
      Love this song! It's so cool and retro and fun. And when I think Jackson I only thing about Miss Jackson.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10/07/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Miss Jackson seems to be timeless. She still grooves with the best of them. Though I’m not one that’s able to identify many singers, she seems to be a constant over the years.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being timeless is the hallmark of evergreen classics

      Delete
    2. Oh, absolutely.
      She looks and sounds fantastic. I want her secret! And she's taught probably two generations to dance.
      And Xersex is right: being timeless is hallmark of classics.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10/07/2022

    Big says,
    I was never a huge fan of either Jackson, but she's got the talent, that's for sure. Good to see her back - she's had it rough. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's got it VERY rough.
      Blacklisted for years for not humiliating herself after that infamous half time wardrobe malfunction. But the talent IS there.
      Yes, Janet!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Janet was better. Perhaps if she hadn't gotten caught up in the Jackson hype her career would have turned out better, unfortunately everything need to be an extension of Michael.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Michael was very talented, but I always favored Janet. I think she's cooler.
      And I don't need she wanted to be an extension of Michael. She was a superstar on her own right. But when you're banned by the MTV brass and your videos and songs don't play on Clear Channel, you're as good as dead.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. She's always been my favourite Jackson too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee... I did an extra post yesterday when Make Me came up on my YouTube feed. I was so psyched to hear it. Very old vibe. I bet, in concert, she dovetails this into a tribute to Michael by singing Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - which Make Me borrows a little from. I'm with you, hon. Janet represented freedom to my gay little self. Her Control album spoke volumes to me. And If, and that whole album... that was my sexual awakening. She empowered many a queer little boy. Sigh. Thanks for sharing all this and your memories. She is an ICON. And, though a generation separates us, we are very sync'd up, dear. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I know! I couldn't find it and I was like 'WHERE IS IT!!!???' I have been hearing the song and when I watched the video I knew I had to post it here.
      So hot. And I knew you'd know if she was sampling something. Love that it's '.. til you get enough'. Love that groove.
      Her Control album is untouchable. And she empowered this queer little boy, too.
      And we ARE sync'd up Upton.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. She really is an entertainer. And no, she doesn't have Whitney's pipes...but I love every video she has made. They are art!! I don't really remember any of the songs on Velvet Rope. But I love the song When I Think of You...it is my jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she's fantastic in concert.
      If she ever goes on tour again, EVERYBODY needs to go see her.
      And I When I Think Of You is fire.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I like her, but that voice, she should do a relaxation podcast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Yes, she has that Jackson voice. They're all kind whispery...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.