Go back in time

Show more

Impressive Instant






I went out over the weekend and the plan was to go to Books4Cause, a free bookstore (@books4cause) to drop some books. It's a free library (love the idea) where you can drop the books that are around your house that you don't read anymore. A great idea that helps declutter a little bit (I am not reading The DaVinci Code for the umpteenth time this winter, I'm sure) while providing free reading material for others. The thing is that I ended up with a new Anne Rice (The Mummy) and I discovered a new (to me) record store right next door: @recordbreakers 

And of course I had to go crate diving for a hot minute. It's something that just needs to happen when you like vinyl records and happen to find a new store. To my surprise and utter delight, I got to snatch a used @Madonna double album: Finally, Enough Love (for less than $20!). It's a compilation of 16 remixes (I fucking love remixes) of some of Madge's number one records. The unabridged collection has fifty songs that have made it to number one in the Billboard Dance Club songs. BTW, with this album Madge's become the first woman with a top-ten album in each of the last five decades, from the 1980s to the 2020s. Yeah, there's that. And it's funny because I bought this Madonna record and a Dean Martin record. Talk about opposite sides of the spectrum. The cashier didn't even bat an eyelash. He's probably used to it.

So, Madonna has officially been fifty times at the top of the dance charts and this release celebrates it. I'm not gonna talk here about the abridged version I got, though (it's awesome and I love the artwork! You open it and it has the art cover for her singles). That version is fantastic, of course and the packaging is great. I love that about vinyl records: they have artwork and cool sleeves and it's a joy to open them. Here I'm going to talk about the full release: Finally, Enough Love: 50 Number Ones.

I was so taken with the collection that I went online and downloaded the full fifty song version of the album. Because of course I did. Duh. I'm a Madonna fan (I have been a fan forever, my fav is 80's Madonna. Anna Marie and I agreed that that's her best decade) and I really love all of these versions.  I'm gonna blast that album while driving in the mornings, I'm sure. Also, I think she's at her best when she's making you dance. Some of these remixes I have heard before (I used to buy maxi singles) but some were totally new for me, especially those after Ray of Light came out. And they are all super cool. I decided I'd tell you which are my favs in this record. You know that when you like an artist and have (and like) most of their music, that is somehow difficult. I went with my instincts and chose the songs that most make me wanna dance because after all, this is about remixes. Sometimes it was really hard to make up my mind, but here's my top five (and some honorable mentions). 

1. "Holiday" (7" Version)
2. "Like a Virgin" (7" Version)
3. "Material Girl" (7" Version)
4. "Into the Groove" (You Can Dance Remix Edit)


I love this version. It's one of my all-time favorite Madonna songs and it makes me dance every time I hear it. I have memories of dancing my head off to this in clubs. No matter how or when I hear this song, it always gives me the same feeling of freedom. 

5. "Open Your Heart" (Video Version)
6. "Physical Attraction" (You Can Dance Remix Edit)
7. "Everybody" (You Can Dance Remix Edit) *Honorable mention*
8. "Like a Prayer" (7" Remix / Edit)
9. "Express Yourself" (Remix / Edit)
10. "Keep It Together" (Alternate Single Remix)

11. "Vogue" (Single Version) 
12. "Justify My Love" (Orbit Edit) 
13. "Erotica" (Underground Club Mix) *Honorable mention*
14. "Deeper and Deeper" (David's Radio Edit) 
15. "Fever" (Radio Edit) 
16. "Secret" (Junior's Luscious Single Mix)
17. "Bedtime Story" (Junior's Single Mix) 
18. "Don't Cry for Me Argentina"  (Miami Mix Edit)
19. "Frozen" (Extended Club Mix Edit) 
20. "Ray of Light" (Sasha Ultra Violet Mix Edit)


I love this version of this song. I think Ray of Light is one of Madonna's best albums (if not the best) and this song is absolutely fantastic. I was torn between this one and Erotica (another of Madonna's best albums) but this one won.

21. "Nothing Really Matters" (Club 69 Radio Mix)


I love the video for the original version of this song. it's one of those songs that make you think and makes you wanna dance. At the same time. And I can relate to that.

22. "Beautiful Stranger" (Calderone Radio Mix)
23. "American Pie" (Richard "Humpty" Vission Radio Mix)
24. "Music" (Deep Dish Dot Com Radio Edit)
25. "Don't Tell Me" (Thunderpuss Video Remix) *Honorable mention*
26. "What It Feels Like for a Girl" (Above and Beyond Radio Edit)
27. "Impressive Instant" (Peter Rauhofer's Universal Radio Mixshow Mix)
28. "Die Another Day" (Deepsky Radio Edit)
29. "American Life" (Felix da Housecat's Devin Dazzle Edit)
30. "Hollywood" (Calderone & Quayle Edit)

31. "Me Against the Music" (Peter Rauhofer Radio Mix; Britney Spears featuring Madonna)
32. "Nothing Fails" (Tracy Young's Underground Radio Edit) *Honorable mention*
33. "Love Profusion" (Ralphi Rosario House Vocal Edit)
34. "Hung Up" (SDP Extended Vocal Edit)
35. "Sorry" (PSB Maxi Mix Edit)
36. "Get Together" (Jacques Lu Cont Vocal Edit)
37. "Jump" (Axwell Remix Edit)
38. "4 Minutes" (Bob Sinclar Space Funk Edit; featuring Justin Timberlake and Timbaland)
39. "Give It 2 Me" (Eddie Amador Club 5 Edit)


This song is so joyous, so kooky, so.. uncomplicated, I cannot help but dance when I hear it. It's bouncy and cheeky. It's Madonna at her bravado best, too. 

40. "Celebration" (Benny Benassi Remix Edit)

41. "Give Me All Your Luvin'" (Party Rock Remix; featuring LMFAO and Nicki Minaj)
42. "Girl Gone Wild" (Avicii's UMF Mix)
43. "Turn Up the Radio" (Offer Nissim Remix Edit)
44. "Living for Love" (Offer Nissim Promo Mix)
45. "Ghosttown" (Dirty Pop Intro Mix)
46. "Bitch I'm Madonna" (Sander Kleinenberg Video Edit; featuring Nicki Minaj)
47. "Medellín" (Offer Nissim Madame X in the Sphinx Mix; with Maluma)


I love this song, and this version gives me the feels. It's very Tribal, very House Music party at four in the morning on a Sunday. Love.

48. "I Rise" (Tracy Young's Pride Intro Radio Remix)
49. "Crave" (Tracy Young Dangerous Remix; featuring Swae Lee) *Honorable mention*
50. "I Don't Search I Find" (Honey Dijon Radio Mix)

And that's all. Hope you enjoyed my little trip. The whole album is fantastic and you can stream it while you exercise/ go for a jog/ cook/ bang your boo. Whatever makes you happy. 
Happy listening!

XOXO


P.S. Say what you want about Madonna -she's old (64?), blah blah, it's just dance music (remixes!), blah, blah, she's an attention whore (duh)-, but she's left an indelible mark in the collective mind of the XX century and I think nobody can argue that fact. Just look at us here. It's 2022 and everybody and their uncle still has got an opinion about her, just as it if were 1982 and she had just bursted into the scene...








Comments

  1. Dean Martin was very popular when I was young, I was never a fan. There's a bookstore down from where I live that accepts books. I'm taking my old books down there, and will probably try and find someone who wants my old vinyl. I realized sometime back that I will never read this books, or listen to these records again, so there's no need for them to take up space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his voice!
      My friend was playing one of his records and I ran in and asked who he was. As for the giving away of books, it's a wonderful idea to donate it to bookstores and libraries. If we had one of those little libraries, I'd drop them there, but the suburban heathens do not read.
      As for your vinyl, what do you have?? I could find out about shipping, and help you get rid of some of those records, for real.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I say all those things about Madge but I do give her props for what she did with music and video and fashion back in the day. Sadly, she still thinks she's back in the day.
    My mother was always a huge Dean Martin fan and when she was going through chemo the nurses bought her a signed photo of Dean to have by her side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, you're not alone. I don't really care about her age or her being a showboat or anything. I like her and I like her music. Always have. She's always a block ahead of everybody, that woman.
      And I think the idea of the nurses bringing the photo is absolutely lovely! He was a looker!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I think you could qualify as Madonna's Number One Fan! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Oh, I know people who are even MORE of a fan than I am. I have only seen three of her concerts. I know people who own each and every record she's ever put out, in several formats and go twice (and three times!!) to each one of her concerts. For real.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11/16/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Though I couldn’t tell you who the artist is if I heard most of those songs playing on the radio (that’s still a thing, isn’t it?), Madonna is an indelible force in music. She has secured her place in history.

    I remember watching the Dean Martin show back in the 60’s with his glass of probably bourbon and his cigarette. I know we used to have his Christmas album. And then there were the Matt Helm films.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I know you'd recognize the melodies. She's been on the radio forever and her voice is very distinctive. And Dean Martin was dreamy, very debonair. I just didn't know he sang so beautifully!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I loved early Madonna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I think eighties Madonna is fantastic. She was hungrier then and even more ready to piss off the world. Her music has always been made to dance, though. I love her ballads, but her dance music is fantastic.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11/16/2022

    Big says,
    I like Madonna and have some of her albums, but the dance mixes? Not so much. I can only take so much of the dance/club stuff at a time. But she really is an Icon and I get your purchase. I am with Babs as you are with Madge. LOL. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dance mixes and bootlegs and mashups.
      I think they kind of recreate the original songs and make it even more fantastic. Like listening to it anew.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. If you are a fan of Rice you will enjoy The Mummy a lot. I have one regret where Rice is concerned. She died before she wrote a history of the Talamasca. As for Madonna. Well, I know it pulls into question my credentials as a Gay man, but I have just never been a fan. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm totally looking forward to this book.
      I think Ann Rice and her books really deserve a try. I recommend them.
      As for Madonna, not every gay man likes her LOL. I've always liked her, though. Always. Still do.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. M. of Italian origins, as her surname CICCONE tells us, may not be a great vocalist, but she is certainly a stage person and nobody can and will ever deny that she is a great artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, her concerts are FANTASTIC.
      I've only seen three, but they have been incredible. On my feet all night.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. YOU must be my lucky star! OMG. I can't believe you snagged this. So VERY jell. Thank you for sharing all this... adore. I have been salivating since word one. P.S. I adore free libraries... we have them here, but they are little neighborhood ones in front of homes. You take one, you leave one. It's fun. But back to the LADY OF THE DAY... omg. I am just dying to own this. Now I have to track one down. Thanks for sharing. You are the best. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    3 days ago
  • El cambio histriónico - El presidente Petro se siente incómodo. El marco constitucional le queda pequeño, advierte que el traje está muy ajustado para sus grandes propós...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    2 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    3 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.