Go back in time

Show more

Oh, M. Fournier...


You can stop me now, but really. An apartment in Haut Marais in the center of Paris? I would do a lot of things to own one. Including but not limited to selling my body, mind you. Contrary to many people's perception, I find the idea of apartment living very attractive. I do see the advantages of having a house, but given that I don't have children nor pets (and have no plans of acquiring either in the foreseeable future) or the need to have several rooms just for myself, apartment living is just fine for me. Maybe when I'm 70, alone, and cannot climb stairs gingerly, I'll think of a ranch-style house and possibly a cat (dogs are too codependent for my taste). But now? Apartments are just fine.

When it comes to apartments, people think that they would have to follow a certain aesthetic (I blame fucking Instagram), and that such aesthetic is totally different to what you'd do in a house. This small apartment somehow demonstrates that we cannot overgeneralize or assume that because we live in a smaller space, we need to sacrifice style and a certain opulence. Smaller does not mean plain.

Being that the owner is an architect, the transformation from the 'original' apartment (it's a XVII century building, so 'original' may be a misnomer) to what we see here is fantastic. I would love to have that vision, that capacity to imagine how a space could be used by getting past the hatchet job made by people who have used the space before. Take changing the concrete staircase for the (1900s) wood one. Or creating that laundry room and giving those windows the chance to be showcased (did you check those ceilings out?).

This apartment (small, compared to the MacMansions and three bedroom houses Americans seem to covet) has fantastic details that you usually find in houses: the windows, the ceilings, the floors, the Murano lamp. The use of mirrors is very smart and the furniture and accessories are plush and stylish without being sterile: a win. Just look at the kitchen, with marble countertops and a window I'd kill for. Planning is fundamental.

I like the idea of a circular staircase: it saves space and it's beautiful. It also eases the access to the bedroom loft (that shade of green, again!) and he loves his mirrors. I am a fan. And the shutters? Smart. Especially for those who love to sleep in a very dark room. And the bathroom? All Italian? Class, honey, class. 

Leave it to the French (with Italian roots) to bring it every time.

XOXO




Comments

  1. That spiral staircase looks like a death trap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      they are actually quite safe. You are literally stopped from bouncing down by the shape. They have them in libraries all over the world.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. the pink door is amazing, brilliant, genial! (2:10)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who had to use a spiral staircase for a time: They limit what can be moved up to the 2nd floor, so it's good he has a balcony. They can also be, as Bob suggested, lethal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct.
      I think him being an architect thought that one out. I used to go up and down one when I worked for a library many moons ago. I climbed up and down it with my arms full of books. Never slipped.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11/23/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    He’s done a fabulous job with the renovation. I have no vision and would be at a loss as to what to do with this space.

    I agree with Dave about the staircase. I have a 180° turn in my stairs and getting a queen size box spring up to the bedroom is a challenge. You’d have to have some type of lift system to get items up to the balcony, including the washer. I remember the time we had trying to get your couch up the narrow stairs in your old place. Fun times 🤣.

    But overall it is a stunning home.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when people can imagine spaces in a totally different way to how they appear. It's like magic.
      And stairs are a BITCH. I inherited a leather sofa literally because it could not be brought into a room upstairs. Lucky me.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Amazing and beautiful use of a tiny space. But my gawd, man, get a decent quilt/comforter and decorative pillows for that currently hideous bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU.
      Thank you for saying that. I was distracted by the many fantastic details but really. A man with that level of taste and THAT bed? Absolutely not. I can take minimalism. Frumpiness? No.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I LOVED IT!!!!!! The staircase and that beautiful tile in the bathroom were among my favorite attributes. And I'm with you, and I have no qualms about saying, I love apartment living. And contrary to many, you can do what you want with apartments so long as it's changed back, or there are ways to still make it a home with furniture and accessories. Apartment living doesn't have to be boring. I have one friend who is worth a couple mill....and he swears by apartments too. I'll be honest, I just don't want the responsibility that a house brings.

    And yes, I would love to rip his clothes off and tap him good!!!! I such a slut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      The bathroom specially! Such a jewel. And I will do apartment living til someone convinces me to move to a house with him. I love my 'garden apartment'.
      And I'd let him hit it. Did you notice that dreamy accent??

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    1 day ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    4 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.