Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Schuyler…

 


For Trans Awareness Week, I thought I'd bring this helpful guide, courtesy of @thewheelofconsent. You, know, just in case there are still any questions...



I think it's good to have a cheat sheet. Even I forget some things sometimes and this handy cheat sheet is very useful, especially for people who do not know anything about Trans people or people who do not seem to be able to differentiate some of the terms. I am your garden variety cisgender gay man. I am not Trans. I have to educate myself when it comes to issues concerning other people in the LGBTQ collective. They are my people, too.



There still seem to be some questions about these. People get confused. People mistake sex for gender and those two are mistaken for sexual orientation. They are NOT the same thing. Totally different.


Some people really can't with this one. It's simple, though, if you stop thinking about the Binary as the end-all, ne-plus-ultra.


Gender Dysphoria IS a thing. The TERFS get in a tizzy over this one.


Ah! this one! As I mentioned up there, this one's a doozy. And everybody and their mother feel they have to express their opinions about it. 



Not everybody transitions. Not everybody gets gender affirming surgery. Not everybody looks the way other people expect them to look. But it's not about other people. It's about the PERSON.


LOL I know a person who took offense at being described as 'cisgender'. For real. The privilege. It's blinding.


'TransgendereD' gets me every time. EVERY TIME. It makes me stabby. Grammar, people!!


Oh, and a quick reminder from @pinkmantaray, Schuyler Bailar



Happy Trans Awareness Week!

XOXO


Comments

  1. This issue has been so terribly complicated by religion too many simply don't want to think about it. Perseverance is important, their minds will not be changed overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Answering this after the Q shooting is kind of hard. People have been radicalized by dogma in such a way that Queer people have been reduced to twisted stereotypes.
      Religion is such a poison....

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. That's a handy dandy guide, thanks! People need to relax about this whole area and just let people be and express their true selves as they see fit. What's the big deal? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!
      The idea that someone would have a saying over somebody else's gender expression or sexuality is so absolutely backwards that it gives me headaches.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Big says,
    What a great handy little guide. I will admit I still have trouble understanding the whole Non-Binary thing, and that description does not help me at all, at all, at all. Because we ALL present ourselves differently to different people in different situations on any given day. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit it can get confused, but only because things now have a name.
      This is nothing new. People have expressed their preferred gender and sexual orientation for centuries. Only thing is now we have a name for it.
      As I understand non-binary is pretty much somebody who does not identify with the description society gives to one gender, and a non-binary people usually identify with a gender that is different to the sex they are assigned at birth. So they fall under the Transgender umbrella...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11/17/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I agree with the previous comments, this is very handy. And when we make a mistake, we apologize and try to do better next time. At the polling place last week I misidentified a young woman, and her mother kindly corrected me and I immediately apologized for my mistake.

    It all boils down to kindness, respect, and a willingness to learn and do better.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU!
      I don't see why people cannot be nice human beings. So selfish to make everybody fit OUR parameters.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. It is complicated to some folks but it isn't hard to be aware of the proper words to use.

    And I'm with you: "transgendered" sends me over the edge.
    Also I once called a co-worker cisgender and he said, "I'm not gay." I said, "I imagine you're not but maybe you want to look up what you are."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh!
      Awareness. That elusive estate that xtianists and 'conservatives' are totally incapable of achieving.
      LOL I can imagine your co-worker's face!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Sixpence. This is really helpful for a dumb, white guy like myself who works in higher ed where I hear this terminology and I am clueless. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      You're welcome, Mr. Shife. And it may come as a surprise, but there's Queer people who also get confused. Next time somebody uses the terminology, ask them! It's the easiest way to learn what things mean.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I want this to become part of the curriculum at all high schools in Georgia, Texas and Florida. Oh... I can hear the screaming already! No... I really do believe this should be taught... like a class. We had a course at my place of work. It was enlightening, unfortunately, unless you have the opportunity to practice it, you forget it. Still... kudos to my place of work for having it. That said, I contacted them to come speak to all my managers and directors? Four different people who presented the original... radio silence. Is that anyway to treat an ally? Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      I can hear the screaming, too! There's nothing that scares more the bigots than knowledge. And we also did diversity training. It's soooo useful!
      And I can totally believe that you got radio silence when you inquired...

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. useful & interesting

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.