Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Leben....


Vintage xmas. Because some people like it the old fashioned way.

Really, you do know that some people are very intense about the holidays. So when Leben's video popped up in my feed, I of course had to post it. Also, I was visiting a friend over the weekend because it was her first get-together after the pandemic and I could not say not. And we were treated to a LOT of xmas. The funny thing? There was this funny combo of Santa Claus and the such and some of the Jesus is the reason for the season theme. There was even a very pretty xmas tree all in blue. Very Hanukkah lite. It seemed a very non-intentionally all-inclusive xmas celebration. As I have told you, saying Happy Holidays seems more and more appropriate as the days pass. 

Also, I understand that every person who decides to transform their space in a winter wonderland-xmas fever dream must have been collecting for some time. My friend was telling us that she keeps all her stuff in bins in the basement and then, come the end of November, she just has her husband and children drag the bins upstairs and that's how her three xmas trees, a whole xmas town and myriad Santa Claus and related figurines take over her house. It reminded me of Debra's post about her Maggi box. It seems many people have those xmas boxes in their basements. As you can imagine, I do not. I'd rather use my storage space for other things. 

After all is said and done, I wish we could see Leben's house when it's not xmas-ized because I'm sure it's a pretty house. Also, I did not know about the metal tinsel?  Do you mean now everything is plastic? No wonder Leben has decided to go all vintage on us...

And I am going to recommend to Debra to keep that xmas box. Those mementos are priceless.

Happy Winter Solstice, BTW. 

XOXO

Comments

  1. very well done though ... how much work!
    he is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this video, of course! And personally remember a lot of that vintage Christmas stuff myself -- the glass bulbs, the little bottlebrush trees, the metal tinsel (i.e. tinfoil essentially), the classic Santa imagery. I even remember the choirboys lawn cutouts! A small, SMALL fraction of things like that were stored in my vintage Christmas Box, of course! Thanks for the shout-out, Sixpence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have friends who go over-the-top at Christmas and, while lovely to look at, all I can think is "Who's putting ALL this out, and who's putting it ALL away?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I got into your blog! I couldn't even access your blog yesterday past the adult content warning.

    Now this guy's house oh dear. Well I like vintage and old time Christmas things. I can appreciate his talent and time to decorate, but a bit much for me personally in my own home. But my friend the Dame that I talk about... everything in his house including Christmas decorations is either all antique or vintage. I have featured his house many times on the blog. I do admit though the old time decorations give me a more Christmasy feel I don't know why. I suppose it's the memories and when I was little growing up around my grandparents. But I do admit to having a fetish for bottlebrush trees. But this guy has a lot of items at the Dame has in his home including that Trio of wood choir cutouts on his front lawn. I will most likely feature some snaps on my blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12/21/2022

      I couldn't get in either.
      jimmy

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12/21/2022

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Debra and I must be of the same era, as I too remember many of those types of ornaments. I hated having tinsel on the tree when we were growing up, because when it was dry in the house, the static shocks from the tree were deadly. I’m not really a fan of the flocked trees, but I guess they do have their place. I can’t imagine the amount of time it takes him to decorate, but the results are fabulous. But with it all up for so long, cleaning must be a challenge, but I guess a feather duster would be his best friend.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Bob on this one. I, too, remember those Christmases. Nostalgia makes things seem a lot nicer than they truly were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12/21/2022

    Big says,
    We have a ton of those vintage ornaments, but we put them in red wicker baskets to display them. Vintage tinsel? But, of course! Made from...lead or tin. Which is why he calls it "heavy metal," I guess. We stopped with the tinsel years ago. Now the tree has nothing but Franklin Mint gold ornaments given to us over the years by the in-laws. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I have ornaments dating to 1956. Back in the day, it would take me a week to put the light on the tree. My cat put an end to that, pulling the tree down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it the old-fashioned way, too! And I love this man's take on Xmas. What a lovely period, from a design/decor/illustration angle. What a great collection. And he's cute. I immediately find myself wanting to kiss his nose... ! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Le falta calle - [image: Gustavo Petro lanza pullas en su discurso de balcón este lunes 1 de mayo] [image: Ministro del gabinete del presidente Petro se atrevió a...
    2 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    5 days ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    3 weeks ago
  • Llorad, llorad, valientes. Un texto de Irene Vallejo. - *El duelo hay que edificarlo sin prisa, con ritmos arquitectónicos*. Más y más, mes a mes. No es una enfermedad de la que curarse lo antes posible, sino ...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.