Go back in time

Show more

Fú.


In Chinese culture, rabbits represent the moon. Some say it is because the shadows of the moon resemble a rabbit. Others say it is because of the rabbit’s pure characteristics.


When we were in Hawaii, we went to Chinatown and I bought this little box. It's adorable and the sweets inside are delish! And truth be told, almost too pretty to eat. They were prepared to celebrate the Lunar New Year and we had them yesterday during a little get together celebration a friend had in her house:

January 22nd: Spring Festival (春节 / chūn jié)
The original name for this day was Yuán Dàn (元旦), with Yuan meaning “the beginning.” However, Yuan Dan is now used to refer to the New Year of the solar calendar.

Lunar date
January 1st (正月初一 / zhēng yuè chū yī)
Solar (Gregorian) date
January 22nd, 2023
Activities & traditions
Firecrackers start off a day of greetings and blessings between neighbors. There are no specific activities other than celebrating the New Year. The ancient Chinese record and analyze the weather, stars and moon to predict the fortunes of the year. The practice is known as zhàn suì (占岁).
Food
In addition to food from last night, people can also celebrate with Tu Su wine (屠苏酒 / tú sū jiǔ).
Superstitions & beliefs
It is forbidden to sweep or clean on this day, else good fortune will be swept away.

We had long noodles and dumplings, ate these fantastic sweets and exchanged gifts in little red pockets (I got string bracelets, given that I am literally 1983 Madonna). Happy New Lunar Year, Constant Reader!

XOXO

P.S. According to my horoscope, it seems 2023 is gonna be jumping for me:

Compared with 2022, your wealth horoscope, Tiger people, has a downward trend in 2023, but due to your increase in career luck, your income this year will increase compared with the previous year.
In 2023, the overall romantic forecast for you Tiger people displays an upward trend. You are set to meet more kind people, and with their help, you should meet many suitable friends of the opposite same sex.

Yay me! Fingers crossed!

Wanna know more? You can celebrate the Lunar New Year until February! There's a whole calendar of events. 

Comments

  1. fantastic artist. I'm following him on IG!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, his photos are fantastic!
      You will enjoy his feed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I suppose rabbits are nice, but I live in Bunny Hell. They are everywhere, and simply won't stop breeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Well, that does happen with bunnies, no?

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1/23/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    So I made a shrimp stir-fry in honor of the day. I had planned to do some cleaning, and now I’m glad I didn’t, lest I sweep away any (much needed) good fortune.

    I’m glad to see that your Only Fans will increase your income this year 😜

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling the Lad to set me up on Only Fans and get rid of my naughty twitter. Is it worth it? LOL!

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha
      Oh, you're silly. But I'm glad you celebrated! And you'll always be lucky.
      And why are you giving Maddie ideas????

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Those are a couple of bunnies I can get behind.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.
      I'd be located in front of them, though. You know, for visibility...

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I am a Rat. Not a bad thing either. People born Rat sign year are amiable, honest, flexible, modest, and down-to-earth. They are very serious in work, and they always get help and support from others due to their good relationships. Just an all around nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no. It's a great sign.
      And I know it describes you well.
      Happy New Year!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1/23/2023

    Big says,
    Well, the year of the Rabbit is supposed to be my year. I could handle that for a change. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed!
      It's telling me it's going to be a good year for me, too. Let's drink to that!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I'm not saying what I did to celebrate the lunar New Year, but being a Rooster myself, you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh.
      Do tell. I promise I won't tell anybody...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.