Go back in time

Show more

Hawaii-Bombay






So I went to Hawai'i for almost a week and now I’ve decided I wanna live there or any of the surrounding islands. It's absolutely stunning. I had never been there and when the opportunity presented itself, I said yes, of course. I may write about that later, but today I'm going to tell you about binge watching movies. On the flight, I discovered there was an array of movies to watch and among those, were some of the movies I liked the most during 2022. What are the odds? 

The flight started with me with my nose in a book, because I get very, very stabby during taking off and landing. There’s something about those moments during a flight that unsettle me. But once we were up there in the sky, I’m ok.  So I decided to put my book away and explore the plane's selection of movies. And I did something that I seldom do: I watched movie after movie after movie for the duration of the flight. And let me tell you, that beautiful island is FAR from Chicago. It’s something that worked for me in this case...


The first movie I watched (re-watched) was Billy Eichner's BROS. I think it's a great rom-com and I love the exploration it does of what masculinity means for gay men. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. It also gave me a very special feeling: I knew there were people behind me who were clearly able to see that I was watching a movie where the two romantic leads are both men. It felt kind of subversive, watching a movie where men kiss and play around in such an environment. Being queer in public I still requires coming out. Who knew? 

Well, so while were here, let me tell you about the movies that came out last year that I think YOU should see if you have not already:



Well, duh, Skarsgard is half naked most of the movie. But the movie is also an epic narrative, very compelling and totally engrossing. Very Hamlet, and the cast is fantastic. Totally recommend.


I loved this take on Austen. You may already know it because I raved about it here, so yes. One of my favs in 2022. And it stands repeat viewings...


The Menu is a great movie. Is it fun? It depends of your sense of humor. Do you have to think? Yes. You do, or you’ll miss some subtleties that are essential to understand where the director is coming from.  It was also a recommendation made by Dave (you know he pretends to be all grumpy grandpa, but he does have his moments) and I totally agree with him. A must see.


Prey is a prequel to the Predator movies. But it stands all on its own because of the unique point of view: the protagonist manages to be both a Final Girl and a feminist hero. The cherry on top? Comanche representation. If you have not seen it, find yourself someone with a Hulu account and bring the popcorn.


The first time I watched this movie I have just had a gummy bear edible. I tripped hardcore. I watched it again during my flight coming back to Chi from Honolulu and tripped again. The fucking movie is trippy and it keeps your attention, even when on cannabinoids. Highly recommend it. 


An exploration of human nature and Idris Elba shirtless 80% of the time. Do I need say more? Oh, yes, and Tilda Swinton. If you have not seen it, you're missing out. Totes recommend.



Ah, yes. David Cronenberg. Yo've been warned: body horror makes an appearance or five. Also highly recommended, though, if you’re not too squeamish. Humanity can be its own worst enemy but we all know that...



Steven Soderbergh lets you know he's still here and that Nepo baby or not, Zoë can carry a movie. It's also an exploration of the fear of living during these times of online intrusion and pandemic solitude. Eerily prescient in many aspects.


For me, Brendan Fraser was the adventurer in The Mummy or the beautiful man in Gods and Monsters. The Whale shows him in a very unexpected way and even though it sometimes works like a play and that could make it clunky for some, Fraser is fantastic in the role. Yes, it's makeup and yes, he's not queer. Still, very powerful.

So those are actually some of the best movies I saw/watched last year. And I really enjoyed them. Have you seen them? What do you recommend? Come on, let me have it. I still have some clout with some people with actual passwords to streaming services so....

XOXO

P.S. Honorary mentions:

When somebody googles if they can add the basement's basement footage to the total square footage of the house instead of running away screaming...

Friendships. Some people are not born for it. Just like war.


Witty, whacky, wonderful. Stream it. And if you’ve not seen Knives Out, what are you waiting for?


One word: Namor.

Comments

  1. The Menu was great! So was Three Thousand Years. Wakanda is essential, though they could have cut 20 minutes. I didn't like Glass Onion because waiting 40 minutes to have a flashback scene essential to understanding the mystery is a failure. I have no desire to see The Whale, Aronofsky films have one goal, manipulation. And I enjoy being Grumpy. Can you imagine what I'll be like when I hit 100?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh
      Well, all films kind of manipulate us and our emotions, no? It's kind of the ai of the craft. And I cannot imagine how grumpy you'll be at 100. Cannot.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Anonymous1/11/2023

    Big says,
    We're WAY behind this year as we are most years because we wait for Oscar season to kick in. "The Whale" isn't available for us yet, but I know he was robbed last night at the GG (Austin Butler for "Elvis"? Really, HFPA??). It works like a play because it is based on the play of the same name (which we HAVE seen). Very powerful stuff. "Glass Onion" is wonderful - a couple scenes at the end could've been left in the editing folder - but, overall, a lot of Agatha Christy-style fun....meaning the entire first half is all set-up and misdirection (as it should be). Just watched "The Menu." Yep, another winner. "The Banshees of Inisherin" is a great dark comedy - the GG chose correctly on that one. XOXO
    P.S. Welcome back and I am totes jealous that you got to spend the week in HI. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, The Whale was great.
      Elvis?? Really? I have not watched the GG, just some snippets online. I liked Glass Onion. I enjoy ensemble pieces a lot. And you are right: a little long.
      The Banshees is VERY dark and very good, TBH.
      And thanks! it was a fantastic vacay. I had never visited the islands.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Loved Bros, for its honesty. Very Woody Allen. Loved Fire Island because Margaret Cho and the boys, while painfully pretty, are a lot of fun, too. Best film of the year? Everything Everywhere All At Once. It is mind blowing. Will never watch a film with Will Smith's kids in it. Blech. Rather disappointed in The Glass Onion. It suffers from everything the original was unfortunate enough burden itself with - ridiculous privilege, underused, underused characters and James Bond chewing the scenery with a ridiculous accent. Kate Hudson, Janelle Monae, and the lady from Bad Moms are a lot of fun. But everything else. P. U. If they wanted to save this one that steroid case should have brought along his Mom, rather than the vapid girlfriend. That lady who plays the Mom is fast becoming my favorite actress... she's in Marvelous Miss Maple and the Bros dude's sitcom - Terrible People? Something like that. She's a hoot. The Menu looks good. Glad you're back. Missed you like crazy... ala Natalie Cole. Kizzes. PS - Hawaii. Lived there for six months. NO. You do NOT want to live there. $$$$$$, plus the drug trafficking is insane, as are all the people on the other islands. They will try to kill you. Seriously. A paranoid whack world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention the racism. Did I mention they hate Haoles? They will kill you if you walk on the beach at night.

      Delete
    2. So much gang activity... unchecked.

      Delete
    3. Everything Everywhere is fantastic. What a mind trip!
      And you are right about Bros and Fire Island. Some of my favs. The Menu is very good, too. Recommend.
      And I can totally believe what you say about the islands. It's a microcosms and as such it's bound to be a pressure cooker of passions and fuckery. And yes, it's VERY expensive (even though some of the food is delish).

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I am seriously behind on my movie watching, but I'm going to watch Glass Onion either today or tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip to Hawaii! I love it there too. Maui is our fave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Glass Onion is fun!
      And I will have to sit down to talk about the trip. It's so beautiful! I could not get over the incredible beaches.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. glad you had a nice gholidays and you cummed back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Thanks, Xersex! I did have fun.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. I realized I wrote gholidays by mistake. It's nice mistake, but I prefer my version: holiGays!

      Delete
  6. "Skarsgard is half naked" is one of my go-to reasons for watching a film.

    I lived on Maui for several back in the last century and loved it, though it can get very claustrophobic because everything's island and there's little variety day-to-day. Don 't get me wrong, it's gorgeous and warm and fun and I ran a nice little business with a friend out there, but for me it's a grand place to visit but not to live for too long.
    And. to be more fair, Maui is less urbanized than Oahu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      Same. And the movie is super interesting.
      And Maui? I bet is beautiful, but I can totally understand the claustrophobia if you are a resident. Honolulu was crazy.
      And you are the second person who mentions Maui. I have to put it in my bucket list!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. It's been a long while since I've been back but it is a gorgeous island,

      Delete
    3. Debra also recommended it.
      I totes trust your judgement. Bet it's gorge.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Boy if you move to Hawaii you better save your pennies. Two friends of mine went two years ago and they could not believe how expensive it was. Never been myself. If you do a post on Hawaii will we be getting the picture of you in square cuts?

    As far as the movies, I sadly heard of five of these. And out of the five I saw Bros and the on demand. Since the pandemic I have not been in a movie theater since and for some odd reason have no desire to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      SOOOOO expensive! Food alone was outrageous. Not counting tours and the such. And the hotel.
      And no pics of me in the square cuts. I actually did this little H&M number that's short but gives me pockets and lets me give leg and butt. A girl needs pockets.
      And most of these are streaming. I can count the times I've been in a movie theater can be counted in one hand...

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Welcome back. You were missed.

    As for your selection of films. All of them are outstanding along with dozens of other I have seen the past year. Right now I am doing exclusively Gay movies on either Dekkoo or Here channels on Prime. Even though most of them are in languages I don't speak or understand they tend to have pretty people to watch and there is a universal language in the affection that two people show one another, even if it is only a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG you'll have to give us your list!
      And I also watch a ton of LGBTQ movies, especially foreign ones. They can give American movies a run for their money.

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I tried to post a comment earlier but I guess it did not take. So let me just day welcome back. You were missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you know Blogger can be a little bitch.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    22 hours ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • Errores garrafales - *Cuatricromía / Policromía *es, con sobrada diferencia, uno de los álbumes mejor logrados de Fangoria. No hay una sola canción que no se deje escuchar f...
    4 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.