Go back in time

Show more

Long, Long Time..


When I started watching The Last of Us, I was not aware it was a reincarnation of a very popular video game. I am not a gaymer and have never felt the inclination to play video games, TBH, video games seem to me slightly pointless role-play that requires me to buy expensive equipment and have tons of free time to get to the 'next level'. They also make me slightly nauseous. It may be because I'm nearsighted and the constant shifting of focus fucks me up. The farthest I've gone is to play one game or two Super Mario and maybe that zombie game where the zombies eat sunflowers or something. 

In any case, I had no idea The Last of Us was a video game and that people were VERY invested in it. To me, it's just another post-apocalyptic series involving a very believable threat (the fungus IS real) and a hot lead. I was sold. Little did I know that I was in for a treat. Both in the sense that the story is pretty cool and that I was going to cry during episode three.

It all started pretty commonplace: leads go on a quest and find tons of dangerous stuff on their way there. We all know that. What I was not expecting was that a flashback (the series leaves tons of Easter Eggs spread throughout the episodes, ready for the fanboys to pick and run with them) to one of the characters of the video game: Bill (a prepper, quasi-Q loner who does not trust anybody) is living his best prepper life with his guns and his traps and trips to raid the local Orange Retailer when one of his booby traps get a catch he was not expecting: Frank.

Frank. Frank is the man who shows Bill that even though he's not afraid of the apocalypse, he's afraid of intimacy. Because what he craves is intimacy with another man. The kind of intimacy that makes you cook for that man and have sex with him and try and protect him from anything nefarious.  Yep, Bill is a gay prepper. And just what Frank needs. 

The series branches away from the protagonists' story and launches into one of the most fabulous and satisfactory love stories I have seen in a one-hour-and-something serial. It's a story that was not in the video game. The homophobic fanboys -comes with the territory- were up in arms and went to IMDB to bomb the series they had been giving rave reviews. The fucking fragility of the incels knows no limits.

But I digress. This post is about Bill and Frank's decades-spanning love story (played with gusto and savoir-faire by Nick Offerman and Murray Bartlet -YUM!) and how it enriched and made meaningful an episode that could have had just some of the run-for-your-life shenanigans we usually get with these shows and fleshed out characters and situations that are significant in the timeline of the series. It also demonstrates how a well-written, well-acted, well-placed same sex story can tug at your strings and make you even more invested in a series.

If you are not watching The Last of Us, I'd recommend it. It's HBO so if you know anybody with a password, make thee with some popcorn, a selection of cheeses and some wine and invite them over. It'll be worth your time. The one surprise I gave myself is that I actually was Frank. I would need a character like Bill to survive the apocalypse, because I'm a disaster with the things that would make me a good prepper and survive monsters and horrible people in case a cataclysmic event erases the human race from the face of the earth. I realized I would have to either be eaten or infected by the monsters or pair up with a man who symbolizes everything I despise: conspiracy theories, guns, and overall paranoia against the government. 

Every end-of-the-world series or book or movie is almost always an ode to chaos in many aspects and to the cataclysmic fall of any kind of government and social constructs. All that's left is the basest of instincts and the idea that you'll have to kill or get killed.p in order to survive. The cottagecore story of Bill and Frank is just a gayed-up ode to traditional masculinity: Joel finds a letter from Bill that says that he saved Frank to protect him. That's the role of men like Bill and Joel. That's their job. It's a very conservative coda. Bill fences off his whole neighborhood to protect Frank (that's the suburban right-wing dream right there). I, good liberal that I am, swallowed the pill whole because it was a fantastic gay love story, but it made me aware that in case I want to survive the apocalypse (that the Doomsday Clock tells us is too close for comfort) I may need to pair up with a gay doomsday prepper gun nut to survive.

Those zombies better be terrifying.

XOXO

P.S. you'd think the homophobes would be savvier: Ellie, the protagonist, is gender non-conforming and when she grows up goes on to have a relationship with another woman and on top of that, there are other queer storylines in the games... so yeah.



Comments

  1. I haven't watched "The Last of Us" yet -- zombie horror stories generally are not my cup of tea, but this series was filmed in my city (Edmonton) and elsewhere in my province (Alberta) so I wanted to watch it to play "spot the location and landmarks." But then I learned about Episode 3 and now I want to watch it for the tender gay love story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally recommend it.
      It's well written and acted. And it's so cool it's filmed in your city! If you see Pedro Pascal, please give him my number! *wink*

      The guys in the video here do a very good blow-by-blow of the episode, but if you can watch it in its entirety, you're in for a treat.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2/15/2023

    Big says,
    We've been watching and, yes, we knew from the beginning it was based on a video game. That was the reason that I initially did NOT want to watch. But...love it. Ep 3 was fantastic, and lots of folks on FB were all for it. Those folks who dissed and dumped on it because of the gay subplot are too stupid to understand life itself.
    I'm not a prepper in any sense of the word, but I could probably survive okay. Having grown up to hunt, fish, build fires, etc, etc.... But to be as savvy as Bill in restarting the gas and power plants and building the electrified fence? Nope, I'd probably electrocute myself doing that stuff. 🤣
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think, I'd do pretty well and could take care of things, but let's face it...I'm a queen at the end of the day, and probably best to have some drones around me....

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2/16/2023

      Big says,
      Well, Maddie, I'll be your drone --- if there're perks! 😉

      Delete
    3. I had no idea it was a video game and then, like you, was kind of late to the game. But it's. good series. Really like it.
      I would probably get killed or eaten after the apocalypse. I don't even like going camping!!

      And you know there's always perks around Maddie! LOL

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. You should have started this entry with Spoiler Alert. The games are very popular, having sold millions and millions of copies. For a while is was a Playstation exclusive, but now you can get it with Xbox gamepass. And if you think The Last of Us is good, wait until Fallout hits. I'm surprised didn't know players can have same sex relationships in RPGs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh.
      The internet has not spoken about anything else for three weeks now. Where have you been?? They are in episode five by now. And gameboys are notoriously homophobic. Fallout 2 was one of the first video games to allow same sex marriages, yes. But that was to catch up with times. Video games have always been very heteronormative. But that's something that pleases some gay people, so yes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. "slightly pointless role-play that requires me to buy expensive equipment and have tons of free time to get to the 'next level'. They also make me slightly nauseous." You took the words right out of my mouth cutie pie. I had Atari as a teen, and grew bored with it in two months.

    And to further shock you, I never heard of this show!!!!! Can I just mill about your garden apartment????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I do not understand video games. I guess I'm a Boomer?? LOL
      I can do some video games but I find them pointless after the first half hour. And you can step into my parlor any time, Mads!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Out of Topic (but not so much, I hope): About homophobes, they are homophobes either because their lives are so empty that they have nothing better to do than hate everyone, or because the simply thought of homosexuality makes something common resonate within them, like a tuning fork makes another because it has the same vibration. And of these they are afraid and reject it by hating what they have inside and do not accept to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, not out of topic, Xersex.
      And it's a great point. Homophobes (just like racists and TERFs) are people full of fear, with no inner life and an very limited outlook in life. Also, most homophobes tend to be very turned on by gay stuff. So yeah.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    11 hours ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    2 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.