Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Joe....


One thing I cannot deal well with is ageism. A person's age does not define their creative output. Didn't Picasso create art until he was like what, ninety, too? So when I heard that Joe had been called 'too old' to head a project, I almost had a fit. Really! Had they seen his portfolio before they rejected him? Had they seen his house? Do they know that experience in a field counts? Anyway. what about this house? I think that people who live in 300 year old historical houses really have a special and demanding role: they are the safekeepers of a tradition and history. I would think twice before accepting that responsibility. Fabulous house notwithstanding.

I have to say, the taste level is off the hook. Obviously. Someone who has been in the business for fifty years does have some tricks up their sleeve, right. Is this my style? No, but I can appreciate beautiful things even if I don't want them for myself. The house looks grand, but Joe tells you it's because of the way it was designed. And I believe that: the problem with McMansions is that they are designed with bombastic consumerism in mind, not with the idea of providing a place where it's living is a pleasure. 

The history of the drawing room? I was gagged. See what I told you about historical houses?? LOL Fascinating. I think the gardens were planned in a very smart way, too. Who would think nowadays about centering the gardens so they can be seen from specific places in the house? Also, the round dining room? With murals made in the 50's? Same as the kitchen that's 70 years old? And the powder room with gold and silver leaf? Details, darling. The devil is in the details.

I love his little idiosyncrasies. He's got the most incredible stories and the most fun anecdotes: ''I didn't kill these turtles". I could listen to hear a whole afternoon. Experience: you cannot buy it. Only live it.

XOXO


Comments

  1. love the garden and the oval room @ 18:35

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right??
      A house with that outdoor space is hard to come by. The property is probably very valuable.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. A little too cluttered for me. I personally wouldn't hire and 90 year old to do anything, and I wouldn't call it ageism. At his age, the odds of him dying of a heart attack or stroke are incredibly high, no matter how good he claims his health to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's a designer. I guess it comes with the territory.
      And telling someone they're too old is ageist. Not hiring someone because we think they're too old is a choice. Different.
      Also, I know of a 23 year old dying of a heart attack. Congenital. So there.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2/16/2023

    Big says,
    Yep, agism is a live and well. Too well. Age and the Muscular Dystrophy are why I was let go in 2011. 'Course, there's no way to prove that - they blamed it on the economic downturn. Then I couldn't get hired to answer phones!
    Not a fan of the house - too...um, busy? The garden is gorgeous, though. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they probably had an excuse ready when they let you go.
      And the house is a little busy. I love the space, though. And I love the garden!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Now if I'm looking for a sugar daddy that's a prime example right there. I can live in that house but it's definitely not my style it's a little too ornate on a daily basis. But the home itself and the interior design is so typical of Texas mansions. And good for him for still going, hell I had a cousin who didn't strike big in his position or even get married to the love of his life until he was 86! He was my Dad's cousin actually. They ended up living in West Palm Beach. Probably a good thing he's passed on because he would have hated Trump,lol!!!! And I also agree a good home and your design should really tell stories about yourself. I love when rooms and objects have a story onto themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, same.
      I think the house itself is fabulous, though. I would have a totally different style, but the space is fantastic. And I also think it's great he's still going. I'm sure he would totally please the taste of those Texans with tons of moola.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2/16/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    This is not an overly large house and it has a lot of passage ways between rooms. The story of the living room is fascinating. Who would think you could buy a room and transport it across the ocean and install it in a new space.

    I imagine in his fifty years in the business he has picked up a lot of items for himself. And he uses them well. His style is a little over the top for my tastes but I’m just a simple guy from the Midwest. Oh and I think he goes overboard with the use of mirrors.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huntley- if you ever get to NYC, you have to go to the Metroplitan Museum of Art and go view the Period Rooms. They are actual rooms from all over Europe from fine estates, and manors....taken apart piece by piece and brought here and resembled. They are s tunning to see. The chandeliers alone are spectacular.

      Delete
  6. Way to go, Joe. Ageism is alive and well unfortunately. I wish I could spend a couple of million dollars to slow down the aging process like that software billionaire did but I guess I will have to find some other way to stay young. Or just win the Powerball and not give a shit about anything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    3 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.