Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Deptford...


When I was around twenty years old, my mom sold the house where I grew up and moved to a smaller, more manageable house. She would move twice more, the last time, after my sister got married, and live in a smaller apartment downtown, close to her job and some of her friends. A year ago, my sister and I were talking about the house where we grew up and she said she had no idea what had happened to it. I went on google maps (google, always the stalky ex-boyfriend took me there) and could not even recognize my old block. Everything had changed so much I could not even recognize the neighboring houses.

That's why I found this video so endearing. Not because I'd like to go back to that house (the memories are fab, don't get me wrong) but because I think that people who can go back to the house where they grew up can indulge in some kind of bittersweet nostalgia that I cannot even concoct. I left that house when I was fifteen and would only go back for summer vacations. By the time my mom sold it, it was already a memory.

Cobbie and Joseph went back to Cobbie's childhood home and made it their own. It's a very familiar layout for people who have lived abroad (it can be found in countless movies set in London) but for North American people, it may look totally 'different' and for some, 'small'. We know how house sizes have grown in this country in the last fifty years to reach ridiculous mass. I love that his mom suggested he should buy the house from her (it was rented out after they moved out) and keep it.

I love the mood of this house: it's bright, it's warm and it's imbued with their personalities. I love the idea of having a huge sliding door to the balcony (I also have light coming from one big sliding door and I really appreciate it) and it goes very well with the open concept they decided to use for their layout. It's versatile, it's not cramped and it allows for many configurations. Isn't that what you would like in your house?

The idea of plastering the whole house is fantastic, I think. It creates texture and makes the color look almost creamy and it makes the bedroom a mood (no TV, natch). Also, remodeling allowed them to move the bathroom (and make it feel it boutique-y) and place a bench next to the entrance. I like that idea because I always come in with a handbag and keys and a coat and that's just handy. I also take my shoes off before I go in my space, so yeah. I also love the idea of records (you know I love going crate digging!) and the idea to make the space adapt to your needs (that table can really sit eight, if needed!). I am going to steal that shelving unit idea, btw. I need to get myself to thrifting!

I love the plants, the records, the books. The use of space and the kitchen and that stained glass! Totally homey.

Nostalgia sometimes pays.

XOXO






Comments

  1. I drove my my old house in Lebanon a few years back thinking it might be nostalgic. It was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!
      Yeah, I had the same feeling doing that Google Maps search.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I love seeing the old houses I lived in and if they've changed much in the years that have gone by. I wouldn't want to live in any one of them again, but it's nice to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is when nostalgia pays.
      Especially if the memories are nice and the houses have stood the test of time. Like in Cobbie and Joseph's case.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3/28/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I’ve lived in six locations in my life, two in my youth with my family. I have also used Google maps to see what those two locations now look like and the neighborhoods have totally transformed. Rumor has it that the apartment building I grew up in (two bedrooms, one bath, six boys) has gone condo.

    I really like what this couple has done with their spaces. It’s cozy and very inviting.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved their reinvention.
      They made the house theirs and even though the location may be the same where Cobbie lived, it has a totally new vibe (they even changed that bathroom!).
      I think it's lovely.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Big says,
    The way they've done this up makes it feel roomy. Well done! Live the stained glass and the other artwork they have. And the plants. A bit of greenery always enlivens a space. The childhood home and neighborhood? Totally different now. My brother bought the house we lived in as teens. It's changed on the inside, thank goodness, but the exterior and the overall semi-rural neighborhood is still fairly the same. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same!
      It feels airy and spacious and adaptable. And I love your brother bought your home! And I can imagine he had to gut it. I am going to talk to my sister about our old house today....

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I grew up in a very small bungalow which was quite literally "on the other side of the tracks." My father was a carpenter so the house and yard was always kept up and looked nice, however. My family hasn't lived there now since 1977. The last time I drove by it a few years ago, it had degenerated by then to absolute slum conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!
      Such a pity! But it's been many years and if it was not bought and kept properly it was probably bound to happen. I love that your dad was a carpenter, though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I inherited the house which I have known since 1967. I have returned it to the way my parents had it. I still refer to it as 'My Mom's House'. Sometimes, it is best to leave things as they were meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome.
      I think we have read about the restoration process and all that. It's a labor of love.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. It can be "dangerous" or sad to go back to places where we have been so many years ago. We risk finding them totally changed and this can be sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True.
      And it can be devastating if we have a romanticized version of the place...

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. My childhood home was demolished. A shame. It was a lovely house. It's a parking lot now. I am having to let go of more and more of my ancient past because - I've no proof that it ever existed. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.