Go back in time

Show more

Story of a Boy


Ok, so you do remember that Absolutely song from the early aughts? The one that was a One Hit Wonder? Now, that's why this one sounds so familiar. Absolutely (Story of a girl) was on the radio every five minutes for a New York minute. It was also on Daria and on teen shows of the time. That melody has popped up again and this one has a queer spin on it. And boy, did it bring back memories!

That original song came out about twenty years ago. Doesn't time flies when you're having fun? I was in a super carefree mode at that time and it was all Smooth, by Santana, and Higher and Kryptonite, by Three Doors Down and Music, by Madonna and What a Girl Wants by Christina and I Knew I Loved You by Savage Garden. Funny how sounds can define a chapter of your life.

I had no idea what was gonna come but still, I would not change anything. That was the story of a boy who didn't know his life was going to radically change and all he thought was real and dear was gonna go to hell in a handbasket. That boy did not cry a river and he did not drown the whole world, even though at times he really wanted to. Looking back, that period -the early aughts- was cataclysmic but here I am, writing stupid things on a blog in 2023. Twenty three years after I thought my world was ending.

So, enjoy @Jordy and this reincarnation of a song from twenty something years ago. Also, if you saw Everything Everywhere All At Once (which just won at the SAG awards!) you may have heard the song there, too. Isn't everybody and everything connected all at once, now?

 Well played, Jordy.

XOXO

P.S. the song has become some kind of an unofficial Trans theme song, with many Trans men using it to show their true selves. Check out @Jordy's Insta and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Comments

  1. "Smooth" is one of my all time favorite songs. Now, I just gotta dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YES!
      Also, I wanted Rob Thomas to wreck me.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I found out that I already follow Jordi on IG. So cute & sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good song! Good post! Life is a funny old thing, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a good song!
      Very leading single. And life is just a sneaky, contrived beyatch.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3/01/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Way back then I wasn’t really into music. I was pretty 🟦 (some would say I still am, no argument here). Listened to mostly news/talk radio. Music was just in the background. Then somewhere along the way I met a guy a few years ago and he started creating 8tracks and sending them to me. And I learned that songs have meaning if you really listen.

    I guess we’re never too old to learn new things. I love this version of the song.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back THEN? It was 2000!
      Oh and I remember 8tracks! I think I forgot what email address I used for that and now I cannot recover them. Fuck. I really liked that website. Remember you could embed them on Tumblr? Ahhh those were the days.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3/01/2023

    Big says,
    That's the thing about music with lyrics. If you can understand them, that is. Some vocalists are so mush-mouthed.... And covers are great if the singer/band is good. For instance, Adam Lambert's new CD is damn fine! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.
      Even House music I like it better when it has lyrics. And I'm going to have check Adam's latest CD. I think I have the previous one. His voice is fab.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right about popular music... it defines our lives, our eras. The Top 40 used to be the soundtrack to my life. And you're also right about time flying and how... what we once thought would break us - didn't. Because we're stronger than whatever is thrown at us and our ultimate goal will always be to survive - with style and grace and love. This is a wonderful song. And, yes, I remember the one you're referring to - it was everywhere. I'm sure they're sharing royalties. Still - fun and original in it's own way. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy life. Isn't that why we bother? Kizzes.

      Delete
    2. I used to listen to the radio much more before.
      Nowadays I make my own playlists or listen to 'oldies' (80's music is apparently 'oldies' now). I used to listen to the Top 40 religiously (Kasey Casem??) and I used to obsess over number ones.
      And isn't it funny that what we thought was the end of the world was just a blip in the radar???

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I honestly don't remember it, but then it's been several decades since I listened to pop music. The singer's cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's been two decades since that song.
      So when did you stop listening to pop music? 1983?
      And Jordy is super cute.

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. I agree that music transports you to another place and time, and it's funny-strange-cool how music can define your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have literally out-of-body experiences with some songs!
      It's so weird. I was also obsessed with what they played on the radio. Remember, back in the olden days of 2000 we did not have Spotify or Pandora....

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    12 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    4 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.