Go back in time

Show more

Image Architect



You would think people in the arts do not need an Image Architect. Well, you'd be wrong. Especially if you have taken time to read Bob's comments on the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to Oscar/ red carpets for example. Some of the choices leave you scratching your head. For the longest time, I thought Hollywood people did what we do: when they have an invitation that seems to be formal-ish, you go to a store, try on some stuff, get what fits better or you like most and ... go?

Nope. I would be wrong. There's Image Architects behind every stitch of clothing your fav musicians, actors and artists wear to the too many to count events that they go to. And that's what @luxurylaw does (some of you may know Law Roach from Legendary, hunny). And he does it VERY well. So when I heard through twitter the grapevine that he was quitting being an Image Architect, my ears perked. Why? Why would you quit such a cool (and profitable) job? There's really not many Black stylists in Hollywood and Law was one of the best. He was just coming from dressing tons of celebrities for the Vanity Fair Oscar party and had won the CFDC award for Best Stylist. So what gives?

Burnout, says Law:

And I think that’s just in our DNA as African Americans, and I’ve been suffering for years, and I woke up, and when I made that post — and shit, it’s like it’s been so long ago, but it was literally the day before yesterday? Monday? I made that post because I felt like I couldn’t breathe and me releasing that and letting the world know that I’m done with this was the first time that whole week that I really felt like I took a breath, a deep breath.

I don’t wanna suffer no more. I don’t wanna be unhappy. I don’t wanna be at the beck and call of people and their teams. I wanna take some time and figure out, you know, how to live.


And I kind of agree? Why put so much effort into something that does not make us happy and it's grinding us to the core? Why allow our jobs to literally fry our brains? I know. Survival. But at what price? Many of us are privileged enough to have a job. Many of us have pivoted a few times until we've landed the job we currently have and we've stayed put. I am relatively happy in my job, to tell you the truth. Do I love it? At times. Do I like all the people I work with? Not really. But the pay is good enough to get me to shut up, so I'll stay. Also, there's a Union and they protect me from myself. It's also what some would call a 'Woke' adjacent kind of job and I like that. Hey, I always look for a silver lining. Otherwise, it would get too bleak.

I do not have Roach's talent or mobility, so off to my office I go. Enough jobs were eliminated or transformed during the pandemic, so I'll stick to the one I have. But if I could leave? I think I would. Maybe not right now, because I'm at a stage in my career where I have not reached total burnout, but later? In a heartbeat. The only problem I see is that I would leave to do... something similar. Because thank goodness, I kind of like what I do and it's also kind of the only thing I'm relatively good at doing. But it would be nice to have the choice to leave when I feel I need to leave...

So good luck, Law. I know you'll be able to engineer one and a thousand more fantastic looks for those top-tier people who apparently cannot dress themselves. Even though when you manage to make them look amazing, they (or their gatekeepers) always find something nasty to say about the results. And you'll be ready to let them have it. 

More power to you.

XOXO



P.S. I also love that Law says the he may be Ace? Did I hear that right???



Comments

  1. In other words he's creating phony images who can't dress themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a consultant, let's put it that way.
      Part of the PR team that all these people employ to keep those images they project to the world. It's all smoke and mirrors, Dave.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    Oh, they have what you've called them: Teams. Reams of people who make sure that the celeb stays in the limelight with all the proper accoutrements; the right hair, clothes, makeup, house, handle the socials. Others pick and choose what projects they should consider. And all of it costs them a bundle. I liked what I did. I liked (most of) the people I worked with. My wife on the other hand? Well, she feels stuck and stressed out and ready to wave buh-bye to her current place. But she likes what she does and she's very, very good at it. She'll find something, go for it, and get it. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally believe that.
      Roach talks about the people who surround the starts and how they love to stir shit. I'd slap a bitch. And I totally admire anybody who works with them.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4/10/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    When you’re at the level of his clients, it is expected that you look fabulous. That fabulousness comes at a cost for the celebrity and the stylist. You’re always expected to be “on” and a trendsetter. With the amount of research that he must do, and still finding unknown talent and giving them a showcase, I can understand his decision.

    I have been very fortunate to have landed with a company that has recognized my abilities and, over the last 46 years, have offered me the chance to grow and learn, even if they did let me go at one point, and another department brought me back. Like you, I’m not a fan of everyone I work with, but I can get along when required.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?
      The pressure!! Being 'on' at ALL TIMES would drive me cray. And getting the clothes? Insane. Those are sample sizes usually, Couture. Very expensive. I'd die.
      And I think your company knew they were losing a great employee and they snatched back up. And I don't know anybody who likes everybody. You're great with people, though...

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. It's important to find the work niche in life that suits our personalities and talents if we are to survive the workforce. It's not a fun place to be, no matter how "glamorous" it may look from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've always thought.
      Wherever I've worked, I've found my niche and have exploited it. I know what I can do well and I go for that. And there's no job that's fun. That's why they PAY you to do it, right?

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I love when I was a stylist with Bloomingdale's ...but then again I was only doing it on the mannequins the windows and furniture. No way in hell could you pay me to do Laws job... or Brad Gortenski, and even for that matter that harpie Rachel Zoe's job. You have no life, and these people are literally at the beck and call 24/7. Fuck that. You can't pay me enough to hear a bunch of entitled cry babies whining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you were lucky.
      You did not have to deal with some nightmarish beyatch with all kinds of entitlement. And I detest Rachel Zoe. I know some people who have worked with her and they say she's a fucking nightmare. Does nothing, just orders people around. Ugh.
      And yep, you literally live FOR these people. Can you IMAGINE???

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. I agree that the life seems 24/7 dealing with egos and that might make a bitch like me cut a bitch like some of them.
    But I myself might like an Image Architect sometimes.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG right???
      Can you IMAGINE the amount of fuckery a stylist has to put up with?
      I would be a stylist only to get ALL OF THE CLOTHES!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4/11/2023

      HuntleyBiGuy:
      I know I could use one. That’s why you came along to get a tie for my brother’s wedding. 😎

      Delete
  7. don't you think that fashion and clothes are a special declination of architecture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      Garments are constructed, built around a body. Designers need to learn the science behind the magic before they even do one stitch.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    16 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    4 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.