Go back in time

Show more

Sew Fierce


I have forever wondered who had made those fantastic costumes some of the Queens wear at special events like the finale of Drag Race, where they 'elevate' their looks. Don't get me wrong, I love me a thrifted garment as much as the next Drag fan, but some of those costumes are really worth being seen by more people. They are truly fantastic concoctions.

So I found Sew Fierce on Youtube (of course) and it's going to be on OUTtv, a subscription service that offers LGBTQ programming. Something like Logo, but pay per view? I don't know. The thing is, that they posted this episode of the competition on YouTube and I just had to watch it. And I am not sorry I did!

If a Drag performer needs Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve and Talent, then a Drag designer needs Training, Talent and Theatricality. I was wowed by most of the designs. And I know nothing about Drag costuming!! The show is hosted by two Canadian Drag artists and it promises to be as fun and as interesting as any sewing competition right now on TV or streaming. I think the idea of showcasing these creators is fantastic. We always see the Queens prancing like beautiful birds of paradise but seldom get to know who is it who made the fantastic garment they are wearing. This series gives us a chance to do that while plucking from obscurity designers who definitely have all the talent of a mainstream designer. And more!

The first season of Sew Fierce includes eight incredibly fierce (pun intended) contestants: Bebe Brunjes, a non-binary, genderfluid designer and performer currently based out of Toronto who has worked behind the scenes and in the spotlight in both theatre and television for over a decade; Benjamin Toner, a costume designer who began his fashion career in 2019 and now works internationally on film, television and stage productions of all shapes and sizes; Dianna DiNoble, a Toronto-based fashion designer who has been creating bespoke corsetry and one-of-a-kind gowns under her label ‘Starkers Corsetry’ for 30 years (p.s. you can read our profile of Dianna from IN‘s Jan/Feb 2022 issue where she dishes on her career and creating looks for your fave Drag Race queens); Missy Morrow (also known as Miss E/Madame Absinthe), a model and seamstress extraordinaire who has years of sewing experience for local performance artists, cosplayers, actors, award winning bands, burlesque dancers, drag artists – and everyone in between; Seven MacLennan-Nobrega, a proud agender, demisexual, transmasc lesbian who began their costuming journey in 2015 at Fan Expo Canada and has been obsessed with making the craziest fan creations and exploring their creativity and skills ever since; Kyle Sherwin a self taught creator (who created his own drag persona Edie Violet in 2019) who specializes in well-constructed, hard-wearing dance performance- wear and more structural, tailored pieces inspired by the golden age of haute couture; Rich “Gidget Galore” Kuntz has costumed, wigged, and dressed many shows and special events in and around Central Florida at theme parks and theatres; and Terrence Henderson, who now works in the fashion industry as a technical designer, focusing on fit and construction, using his eye for details and skills as a pattern maker to create dynamic apparel of all kinds and custom looks for a wide variety of private clients from stars of RuPaul’s Drag Race to Grammy nominated artists and socialites.


In my head, the top three were:


Now, take into account that I know close to nothing about Drag (that's why we have Maddie!), so take that with a grain of salt and some Swarovsky crystals How about you? Did you choose the winning designer/garment?

XOXO

Comments

  1. Some dresses are great: my fav is 28:25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this show yet, but historically reality and competition shows don't hold me attention, like Project Runway. With exception of Drag Race. You'd think I would be, but since I did so much with fashion at my last job I didn't want to consume too much of it. But know I might give it a try. Although my streaming services will break the bank...Drag Race Espana just started...my favorite of all the Drag Races.

    I was feeling Benjamin Toner and not only because I wanted to get him in bed and top his ass. And I caught his bulge in his jeans! I liked his work... and that of Kyle Sherwin...who was very close to what my aesthetic would have been. I loved Diana and Missy's work too. I would have totally worn both the pink looks. My favorite was Benajmin's look. I could see Sasha Velour wearing that. I was all over the board with my own style. It's hard to judge a fashion show, because fashion is art and art is very subjective...who's to say one's better then another's? It's all personal taste and comes down to creativity and out of the box for a show like this.

    Now if you're on the East Coast...especially New York then any queen serious almost always has to have a Florence D'Lee creation, or on the pageant circuit...a Coco Vega gown!!! Coco made gowns weighing in at 30-70 lbs and hand beaded gowns. I remember some of my competing friends paying upwards of 8,000 for one gown!!!! The only time I ever had a creation made was for a huge show or a big fundraising event, like the Mona Stangley red gown I had made when I did Hard Candied Christmas for the Raven's Closing Show. I was the last number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, though not something I'd probably watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They need to be creative and they are. 'Course, these are folks who have already made names for themselves and built careers. Where are the folks trying to break in?
    All these services make me cringe. By the time you add up all the individual fees to watch what you want, you've spent more than you ever would on a cable service. I refuse. I just refuse! LOL.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.