Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Howard...



Today I'm going to see the Little Mermaid with my wymen. But now I'm going to go see it not just because I can make the racists mad when the movie rakes in all the money (every ticket counts, no?) but because over the weekend I watched Howard, the documentary Disney+ has about lyricist Howard Ashman and I learned that he was the genius behind The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and Beast and.. The Little Shop of Horrors (which I lurrve!).

Yeah, I know the Little Mermaid is probably a little too long, the special effects are probably a little heavy handed, Ursula's make up is busted and Miranda's style of writing may not be exactly like Ashman's but I know that already. I'm going for the fun and music. And to look at the prince.

But hear me out: Disney+ was gonna yank the documentary. Just right before the new movie premiered. @daveleedwnundr has the tea:







And I said 'was' because after people -rightfully- complained, Disney+ has 'decided' to leave the documentary up. It was kinda a slap on the face that Disney+ was going to remove his documentary during Pride Month. Right when the new movie was coming out. Bu that's corporations for you. Howard Ashman kinda literally unstuck Disney with some of the most beloved animated movies/musicals by almost everybody and this was how the corporation was going to pay him: my removing this documentary from its lineup.

Yep, that 'Part of your World' song was not just about a mermaid. It was written by a gay man who put his whole soul into a song that most children (and many an adult) can sing almost from beginning to end. When he wrote it he had recently learned that he had AIDS (which was a death sentence back then), was living with his male partner (who helped him during his last years) with whom he had built their ideal house and he was inspired by a Drag Queen (Divine) to create Ursula and wrote about a daughter rebelling against her father. Very Woke, if you ask me...

So if you are not going to go see The Little Mermaid with your girlfriends/nephews/nieces/assorted family children close to you, then make sure you watch this documentary. It's fantastic. The amount of work. The dedication. The talent. Howard Ashman was taken too soon. But at least we have this documentary to remind us of his genius.

XOXO

P.S. It's only on Disney+ but if know anybody with that streaming service, invite yourself to watch the documentary. And don't forget to bring popcorn. It's the polite thing to do...





Comments

  1. Anonymous5/30/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I saw the documentary last year and it’s an excellent examination of Howard’s work and parts of his life. I’ll definitely watching it again.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they had it!
      Well, I don't know half of the stuff that you have on Disney+ because all I watch is super heroes and Star Wars. So there' s that.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the info about this documentary -- I'm going to watch it! A great way to start off Pride Month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great documentary.
      And yes, it's a pre-Pride treat!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. The thing about streaming services like Disney+: I hate them. I do. Pisses me right the hell off. Sometimes, a thing is too important to be hoarded. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely.
      But it's a business model and if it gives them money, they are gonna keep it. We live, after all, in a consumerist, capitalist society. Everything is a commodity.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. I have Disney +, but I'm waiting for the movie to stream, which should happen in about 4 weeks. The movie made a boatload of money, so I'm sure certain white, faux Christians are fuming and foaming at the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm going to watch it again as soon as it starts streaming.
      It was worth watching it on the big screen, though. That prince is quite the morsel. And he does fill those pants.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. What a fascinating story. I can't with Disney... too evil. But I support all things gay history... so will track this one down... eventually. You know, in between all those trips down the rabbit hole watching homophobes and self-hating gays walk into Target Stores and destroy Pride Merch. Have fun at the movies, hon. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Write a damn review. Of Mermaid... I wanna know...

      Delete
    2. Disney IS evil. They own EVERYTHING.
      Well, most everything I like: superheroes, cartoons and Star Wars. But the documentary is worth watching. You'll love it because he was a very gifted lyricist.
      And I don't know if I should write a review. I'm not a movie critic. I can only tell you I really enjoyed the music numbers (didn't remember half of them) the music is contagious, the leads are absolutely adorable (and age appropriate!) . Ariel CAN sing, Javier Bardem could use his trident on me any time and the prince's pants were another character.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. A Black Mermaid????? EVERYONE knows mermaids are white, why every single mermaid I've ever seen in real life has been wh ... oh, um, never mind.
    Goddess I love stupid people.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      I know, right? The racists also overlook centuries of African lore. But that's their daily lives, anyway...

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. My tribute here with a very interesting post about Howard Ashman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it!
      And yes, he did change Disney forever. That's why I think they trying to dump the documentary was so backhanded...

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    8 hours ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    2 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.