Go back in time

Show more

Bev Rage & the Drinks


So PrideFest was was a riot (as it should be) and I wondered up and down the street and danced a little and got tons of free shit. It was crowded, it was hot and it was fun. Going to block parties with food and shenanigans is always an experience.

And it was an experience because it is always good to see people being free to be.. themselves? In this enclosed environment, for several hours during the weekend, the Queers were out in full force: it was refreshing to actually see the LGBTQ+ menagerie out in the street, free, without fear of judgement, homophobia, transphobia or racism. Because we are not post-gay or post-racism, as some people in the interwebs would try to make you believe. Homophobia and racism are alive and kicking people in the teeth.

For many of these people, 'coming out' was not a choice: they are as queer as they come. They don't have to tell their employers or their co-workers that they are gay. They just ARE. I did see some of the A-gays, as Upton calls them (the A-gays are the muscle-obsessed, masc4masc, circuit-party attending gayteratti). Yes, they were there too. But I think I enjoyed more watching and talking to people who were less... common? 

I really enjoyed the girls in micro-mini skirts and low-cut/transparent blouses, who walked around without fear of being touched or abused; the leather-clad, thigh-high wearing person in crutches; the fab couple walking around with the gayest dog ever (a French poodle sporting rainbow everything, a tutu and the cutest hat ever); the pups, who did not care about the heat and were walking around in full puppy-mask; the incredibly handsome men walking around in Daisy Dukes; the people wearing ALL OF THE MAKEUP; Transpeople not caring if they 'passed' or not; the genderqueers, the Ace people walking around proudly wrapped in their flag, the younger people dancing their heads off in the Teen section, the little kids running around with bubble sticks and rainbow flags (yes, there were children there, and I did not mind them) and all the awesome performers I enjoyed. 

The freedom I saw there lead me to compliment people I thought looked cool (they DID look fab, natch!) and the reactions were awesome: nothing like feeling SEEN without judgement or fear of violence. I complimented the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, all honey skin and the most awesome breasts EVER. The young queerling on full Nightmare Before Xmas attire (the young ones are just discovering Jack. Don't judge) and absolutely astounding makeup, the man walking around with literally nothing (he was only wearing short-short-short shorts and boots) and one of the most beautiful bodies I've seen this side of Eugen Sandow; the couple in full matching Gucci attire (couple that fashions together stays together, they say) and so on and so forth.

It was fantastic. And I'm posting here @BevRageandTheDrinks, one of the first acts I saw and to tell you the truth, one of the ones I liked best. Oh, there was @jordy and @eureka! and @crystalwaters and @sheacoulee and @bettywho among many, many others, but I liked @BevRageandTheDrinks better than anything I saw over the weekend: they gave me unadulterated queer garage pop realness.




@bevrageandthedrinks tour, in case they drop by your neck of the woods.


And this was just PrideFest. Can't wait for the Pride parade because what is Pride if not Punk Rock?

Happy Pride!

XOXO

P.S. Some of the photos I shot. My friends took more, but I have yet to receive them. You know how it is...


It was madness getting in. When we got there, there were already lines!


This was the roster for the two days. Fun!!




People were walking around with the gayest dogs I've ever seen! 


The kinksters were out in full force. I got a t-shirt with one of these...


Oh, and there was a Teen corner. There were also tons of kids running around unbothered by the Furries, and the boobs and the Daisy Dukes. I even saw baby strollers during the day...





Comments

  1. Very, very nice, except for the rainbow dog... I don't think people should dress up their pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast. And loved Bev Rage.
      And I'm also quite ambivalent about dressing up pets...

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. with literally nothing (he was only wearing short-short-short shorts and boots) and one of the most beautiful bodies I've seen this side of Eugen Sandow.

    This is the ideal dress! we're in June and we can go naked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha
      Oh, he was BEAUTIFUL. Truly. And summer gives us men with very few clothes. Gotta love it.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6/20/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Sounds like you had a great time, babe. The weather was perfect so it’s great that everyone got out. Round two coming up for you with the parade! Be safe and watch out for the crazies.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blast.
      It was a little bit hot, what with all those people. But I was wearing shorts..
      And yes, the Parade is Sunday. Woot woot.
      I'm ready for the crazies.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Glad you had fun! "Bev Rage & The Drinks" -- fab name, fab band! Thx for introducing them to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was two tons of fun.
      Bev Rage was quite the find. They have vinyls for sale, BTW.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Just an unverified quote from Gertrude Stein..."and a gay time was had by all". Now, which tshirt did you get? My guess is one of the two on the left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a great gay time.
      And you're very good! I did think about Aladdin! And unfortunately, I'm not a buff ginge...
      XOXO

      Delete
  6. How lovely. Our pride is next week. Won't be going. Too many people I have no wish to be around. You had a great time. I used to love all the free stuff. Liked the song. How was Crystal Waters and Betty Who? I adore both... Betty is/was huge in the UK. The music was the one thing that used to get me to pride. They would have this outdoor concert - saw all sorts of acts - Expose, TLC, The Pointer Sisters, Brandy, Kristine W. They did away with it, for some reason. So... now? No reason to go. Glad you had fun. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast.
      And I know! I was thinking of doing Minneapolis and then discovered it was the same day as Chi. Darn!
      And I think you should go. Even if it's just for the music. Crystal Waters? She had EVERYBODY on the floor, of course. Betty Who, I was there for just too songs. I was DEAD.
      Pride always has the best artists.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. Our Pride doesn't show up until September when it feels a little less like Humid Hell outside!
    I'm glad the celebrations are packed and we're out in force. In their faces !
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh
      So it's kind of a Fall fest? Very nice!
      And I hope EVERYBODY shows up!

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. Your Pride there is much like Philly's. Except this year they didn't allow dogs. I assume it's because of the crowding and smaller one getting stepped on. Now, those tee shirts....I would love to get one with the hot Pinocchio on it! I have never heard of Bev Rage & The Drinks...but best be sure I will find them now. I liked the clip. I have been enjoying see all the bloggers and pics form there Pride events. Thanks for sharing Six.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this was PrideFest, more of a street fair kinda thingy.
      The Pride parade is on Sunday. Totally ready to go too! All-gay, all the time! LOL.
      And those t-shirts were awesome! I forgot to keep the bag. Dang it! Bev was super cool! Totally different sound than I'd expect in these celebrations. They're super fun. Check their Insta!
      If I remember to take pics at Pride this weekend, I'll post them, too!

      XOXO

      Delete
  9. I love June because it is Pride month. And I wish the vibe and the "pride" would last all year long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same!
      I did Milwaukee and this weekend will do Chi. And you are right. 'Pride' should last all year long!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    2 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.