Go back in time

Show more

Face of Bosco


As a cisgender gay man, the idea of being treated as man is not strange. People even call me 'sir' sometimes. Go figure. But for Trans people being treated as the gender they truly are, that is a big deal. That is why it is important to remember that addressing someone by the correct name and pronouns is very important:

Proper use of gender identity terms, including pronouns, is a crucial way to signal courtesy and acceptance. Alex Schmider, associate director of transgender representation at GLAAD, compares using someone's correct pronouns to pronouncing their name correctly – "a way of respecting them and referring to them in a way that's consistent and true to who they are."

I would like any cisgender man to for a second, imagine what it would be like if someone would address them as Ma'am. Many would have a fit. Most would be deathly offended. Oh, it may not happen to you because you may fulfill all the conditions to be perceived as male: dress code, secondary sexual characteristics, height, etc. But what if you didn't? How would that make you feel? 

I have known Trans people all my life. I work in an environment where Trans people are visible and accepted. But many people have never met a Trans person. Ever. That's why Trans visibility is so important. Trans people make up about 1% of the population and they are not seen as a political force. They are the last term under the LGBTQ+ umbrella that bigots feel free to attack. Don't believe me? Well, the deluge of anti-Trans laws we have seen of lately may be able to convince you:

In 2023, anti-trans bills continue to be introduced across the country. We track legislation that seeks to block trans people from receiving basic healthcare, education, legal recognition, and the right to publicly exist: 562 bills; 49 states. 79 passed; 354 active and 129 failed.

That's why I think it's important to let Trans people tell their own stories. The changes you see in @Bosco here, may not seem too salient to you. You're still seeing a pretty girl when the makeup is on. But for the person who has experienced them, they are immense and transcendent. Seeing yourself and presenting yourself the way you know you should look is the most empowering thing that can happen to a person. Especially if they are Trans. BTW, if you don't know any Trans people, maybe it's time to expand your circle of friends. Or maybe you do and do not know it. It happens...


XOXO

P.S. consider donating to some of the following organizations. They help keep the wave of hate coming from the Religious Wrong at bay. And remember, first they came for Trans people and... what did you do?

The ACLU works in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and the laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country.

For over 30 years, GLAAD has been at the forefront of cultural change, accelerating acceptance for the LGBTQ community.

The Human Rights Campaign works to educate the public about the transgender community and provides resources for transgender and non-binary people to live their fullest lives.

Lambda Legal is the oldest and largest national legal organization whose mission is to achieve full recognition of the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education and public policy work.


Comments

  1. Big says,
    Everything in this post is true. 100% Though, I will admit I still have trouble with "they / their" --- it just makes me think multiple-personalities. And I'm not sure if that's truly the case with transitioning from one gender to the other. We have been members of HRC for many years. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I know. It's because in our minds they/them is a plural pronoun. But using They as a singular pronoun has been going on in the English language for centuries. Just ask Emily Dickinson.
      And I am an HRC member too! woot!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. We had a discussion of trans at work, and pronouns and such, and I simply told my co-workers: I may not understand it all [I also have trouble with they/them] but it's simple respect.
    It's like I tell people my name is Bob and they call me Robert or Rob or Bobby or Robby or Bert or whatever the f**k crosses their mind.
    Respect me and call me by my name. It's not rocket science.
    And we all need to stand with them as they are targeted by wingnuts.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      And all we really know is that we call people the way they want to be addressed. Your Robert/Bob/Bobby example is perfect. I know it's gonna irk you if you tell me your name is Bob and go like: 'Hey, Bert!' in explicit defiance of what you just TOLD ME.
      I think they/them in plural is part of the grammar we learned. It's hard to get that out of our heads.
      But yes, respect. And we do need to stand with them against the xtofascists. Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. I find the they / their confusing, most likely because I'm old enough to have seen Sybil and it scared the crap out of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!
      That's the binary, wreaking havoc. I am kind of used to starting an email with a singular noun (i.e. the client, the interested party) and then just keep going with they/them. Especially if I don't know who is it that I'm talking about. I was kinda confused (grammar!) but then I learned that They has been used as a singular pronoun since the 1300s. TMYK.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all the information. details and links, Sixpence. I am definitely a dumb, white guy when it comes to the trans world so I appreciate the knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mr. Shife. You're welcome.
      I think all people need to do is literally learn a little about others. Do we have to like them? Nope. But we do need to be informed.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7/20/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    As you said, it all comes down to respecting the individual. Yes, it does take time to get used to something new, and we will make mistakes in the beginning, but if you are showing that you are truly trying to get things right, you’ll be given some leeway. As Bob said, it’s not rocket science.

    Personally, I didn’t think Bosco needed any work done. But it doesn’t matter what I think. She felt the need to enhance her looks and she’s entitled to that. I think the results, though not drastic, turned out beautifully.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you just nailed it:
      It does not matter what WE think because it's their life and their body and their faces and their gender. Not ours.
      We need to give people room to breath, it's their life!

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Whether people, gay or straight don't like, understand, or support Trans....they don't have to. But like Bob said, it comes down to respect. Show respect and treat others like you want to be treated. If you treat someone like shit, then you must have absolutely no self-respect for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!
      It's not like anybody is telling people they HAVE to like/be friends with Trans people. But they need to respect them as human beings. Fuck! Is that too hard to understand?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Well apparently for the far right Republicans and religious conservatives it is. Dumb shits.

      Delete
  7. the laws are not only against trans people, but against the entire LGBT world. There is a right-wing atmosphere that is frightening. And I'm talking about Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very scary.
      Huntley and I were talking about the Italian government and their refusal to name gay people their children's parents. All because the right wing government. And now it's going to be Spain, who's leaning right too!

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    15 hours ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    5 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.