Go back in time

Show more

Oh, Alfredo...


Ok, so I had to google Shelter Island. I live in the Midwest, mind you. And anything 'coastal' is slightly exotic and very attractive at the same time. And Wikipedia did not disappoint. The island has a long history (colonization and all that) and I was slightly surprised to learn that it leans Democrat. Who knew? The fact that two thirds of the island are protected is a sign that not many people live there. There's only about three thousand people living in the island (it quadruples in the summer, alas) and it is overwhelmingly white. Alfredo would be part of the 2.38% Hispanic/Latino in the island, so that also gives you an idea of what it would cost to have this house. But this is the kind of house I find totally charming. So I have to post it here.

He lives there with his husband and their children. The house is a remodel (apparently it was in dire condition when he bought it), it was an old rooming house in the 1870s but the results are fantastic. It's a house that does not feel 'new'. It's a house of found objects, of green ceramic collections, of things that have a patina. Maybe that's why I like the palette used in the house; it's not muted or sedated. It just feels it's been there, in that house.

And again, this is a house that has a very cool backyard. I think I like backyards. Especially backyards like this one: both ornamental and useful (it's good to have a veggie garden in a place like this! Trader Joe's is not really around the corner). And again, I love the sunroom. Yes. 

Also, how fucking handsome is this man? Damn. I don't mind him being dramatic. Not a bit.

XOXO

Comments

  1. I'm dying.
    I love this. I love everything about it. I would never leave.
    I may find a way to steal it.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      It's so peaceful and well appointed and.. pretty!!

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. I like that everything, inside and out, is painted white or soft grey. I love the dollhouse and the playhouse. And those plates on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      I think unsaturated colors bring that sense of peace. And having a playhouse is the BEST!
      Oh, the dinner parties are probably amazing.

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Now this is definitely more me! Of course anything on a beachfront or near a beach has me sucked in immediately. But this is how you do repurposed, old and new mixed together wonderfully. That's the kind of style I like. And I absolutely love that screened in porch where the dining takes place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha
      Well, yes, a beachfront property IS the way to go. But you are right: this is the way to remodel: when people cannot tell it was done. And screened in porches are a mood!

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8/21/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    I love this house. What they have done in making it their own is fantastic. It has old world charm and I love the screened porches. Alas I stopped planting a vegetable garden, but my neighbor was doing container gardening his year, so I may give that a go next year, just a few containers up by the house where we get tons of sun.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?
      It's so fab. And you should do container gardening! Didn't the bunnies eat everything in that veggie garden last time?

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8/22/2023

      HuntleyBiGuy: Yes, the monster from hell!

      Delete
    3. Hahaha
      Oh the damage that bunny brought...!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Big says,
    Ah...there it goes. Now it's working. Weird. Anyway, I could love living there. But I'm like Maddie - a beach? I'm so there! The screened porch is a necessity. The white and greys are my style, too. I buy it --- but I couldn't afford it. LOL.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pretty and there's a beach. Yes.
      The whole house is so pretty! I think this is one of those times a white house just belongs. Oh and you know buying a house there is prohibitive. Especially one like this one.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    3 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.