Go back in time

Show more

Ooops! It's the dopamine again...





Honey, your phone is changing your brain. There. Now you know. Twenty years ago we did not have our little computers literally attached to our hands almost 14/7. But nowadays they are on and going almost all day. It's the triggering of the release of dopamine that keeps you coming back for more. And how do we know we're not addicted to the little buggers? 

We have to make sure that we don't have cravings (oh, that phone does look like I should pick it up?). Also, that there's no salience in the way we use our phone (does it make us happy to scroll and scroll and scroll and check the likes and the comments?) and how much tolerance we have to not spend time with the tiny computer in our hand.  Do we experience withdrawal? Putting our phone down may not end the addiction. Oh, and one more thing: is it easy for us to decrease our phone use? Yep. Those questions are important. More than 70% of people go through some (or all!) of these stages. Some of them are indeed addicted to their phones.

Now, here's my tips to help you wean yourself from that little devil so anhedonia does not settle in:

  • I only use the phone during specific hours of the day: I'm an Apple fanboy, so I have scheduled times when my phone does not forward any messages, updates or phone calls. I'm busy doing life.
  • I don't look at the phone when I'm driving. I have an iPhone, so when I'm driving, it sends a message to people telling them I'm in the car. If it's urgent, they can redial and I'll pick up. And the phone does this automatically. The only thing is that it thinks I'm driving when I'm on the train. But I read on the train, so that's good.
  • I only troll social media during specific hours: usually in the evening and sometimes after work. BTW, Huntley and I literally go for the same kind of news, so we send each other the hot goss the other just saw. LOL. I also check news on the desktop, not the phone. It's better for me and I cannot read long form news in that tiny font. No. 
  • I never buy anything the phone (or YouTube or any browser) offers me to buy. Fuck that. You know WE are the product, so don't give them the pleasure of being manipulated. My phone is not my wallet.
  • I turn the phone off at night, that way, I won't be looking at shit on Insta at four in the morning if I get up to pee. Yes, hunny. I'm one of the people who actually have an alarm clock on his night table. So there's that.

So, tell me. What are your tricks and tools to stay away from the little addictive devil? Or is it too late for you and dopamine rules your life already?

XOXO









Comments

  1. Anonymous8/31/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    So THAT’S why my heart flutters whenever I get a message from you 😘.

    I don’t believe that I have an addiction to my phone. One reason may be that I don’t post on social media, so I’m not chasing those likes and interactions. Like you, I get most of my news on the laptop or iPad. I have a news aggregator that pulls in information from the Chicago area newspapers. I do use Xitter, but only in the evenings and occasionally during a break from work.

    However, one issue I do have is multitasking in the evening: I’m watching TV and scrolling on my iPad or phone. That does make it difficult to follow what’s going on with the shows. That is something I have to work on, get better balance there.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big says,
      My wife does the same in the evening, though she claims to follow what's happening in a show. Ask a question or comment on something and I get, "Oh, I must've missed that."

      Delete
    2. Hahaha
      Oh, you flirt!
      Same with social media. Could care less. And the laptop/desktop are so MUCH more convenient! And I also use Twitter as a news aggregator LOL
      And I don't multi-task. If I'm bored with the movie/tv program I just switch.
      I also only blog during the week because I cannot comment using my phone. Chrome can be good sometimes.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    I can proudly say I do not have an addiction to my phone --- or any other device. I use my phone to call or answer a call, text with my sister upon occasion, and the GPS if traveling to an unfamiliar location. My tablet? That's been sitting for more than a month with a drained battery. I use it to read a book - if I haven't purchased the print version (which I much prefer).
    My wife on the other hand.... It's either the phone or her tablet unless she's sleeping or eating. Really. She doesn't post to the socials but she scrolls to read/watch others.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I also use my phone to actually call people.
      Seriously, why do people choose to text when driving when the fucking phone is RIGHT THERE??? Ugh.
      I also use my tablet to read books. And the out of the office emails.
      I cannot understand how watching what other people are doing is so entertaining. When I was on Facehook in the 'aughts it was used to plan parties and the such...

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. My phone's on the charger at night. I've never bought anything using my phone, in fact, I limit the number of apps I have on it, the more apps, the easier it is for someone to hack. I will occasionally sit and scroll, but usually when I'm bored, though it is a good way to waste time at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having it in the charger can be an option.
      iPhones get into sleep mode, so I don't get notifications. They're always on 'silent' too. LOL
      I try to have as few apps as possible. I was going to visit the doc and they wanted me to sign up for (yet) one more app. I refused.
      At work I barely put Pandora on the desktop.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Big says,
      Oh, you are so right, Dave! No apps on the phone --- and ***certainly*** no credit card or banking. XOXO

      Delete
  4. I don't have a smartphone at all. Never felt any need for one. I have a flip phone which is strictly for calling AAA if my car breaks down. Most of the time it's switched off. People who are "addicted" to smartphones, at some point, chose to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of covet a flip phone? I used to get the tiniest models cause they would fit in my pocket easily.
      And I think anybody can just stop the fucking scrolling. Really.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. I don't usually have a phone problem since I can't stand technology. But when I go out in a social scene my phone is either on vibrate or off. If you're going to go out in a group and be on your phone's what's the point?

    My phone stays on at night because I use it as my alarm clock to get up, but once I'm home from work, and usually around 8:00 p.m. my phone goes in the bedroom and I don't have it the rest of the night. And like you I'm only on my cell phone certain times of the day to read blogs or such. On vacation or we can getaways, I may use my phone to take pictures but that's it. Although I may put some pictures in my feed on my Instagram. I won't let myself be a Slave or attached to my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same.
      When I'm with people, I'm with them. The phone is usually in my crossbody. Phones also ruin any line in the clothes you're wearing. Have you seen those men in tight jeans with a huge square on their thigh? Not attractive. LOL

      And I don't blog on my phone. My weekends are usually unplugged cause I blog from my desktop....

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Oh I couldn't agree more about that outline from the phone in pants. Hate it. If I see an outline it better be from a beautiful dick!! I don't think my phone would fit in any of my pants or shorts that I wear

      Delete
  6. I have an iPhone and I use it for work very sparingly, making works calls or getting into group chats; I don't have a lot of apps on it, and I don't need a lot of apps on it; I will check blogs and such while I eat lunch but I don't post or respond to anything; it charges at night and I use it only as a clock.
    I text Carlos mostly when I'm finishing up work and heading home.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people do as you do.
      But many people literally have everything on their phones. Some people bank from their phones. *shudders*

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. by now, I think, we will have to learn to cohabit with our smartphones without letting our minds or our time being devoured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the hard balance, Xersex.
      For some people, it's an addiction.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    15 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    4 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.