Go back in time

Show more

All boys aren't blue...

 


When I was a wee gayling, I wish I would have had a book like All Boys Aren't Blue to read. Why? Because I was never in the closet and because I started having sex early. I started fooling around with boys when I was around twelve. I had my first kiss (by my best friend) when I was around fourteen (he spoiled me because he was a GREAT kisser and ever since, when a man really knows how to kiss me, tighty-whities are OFF!). I also started having relationships with men much, MUCH older than I was when I was a teen. I looked slightly innocent and geeky, always listening to music and reading books, but I was a slut.

Having younger people know about how to deal with same sex attraction, with sex and about how to avoid getting in toxic relationships is fundamental. I had no idea of any of that because nobody in the books I read talked about my world, about my experiences, about my sexuality. And maybe because of that, I was used by some men (I was using them back, natch) that I should have probably avoided like the plague, but I had no blueprint, no information about how toxic some men can be.  But this book talks about that.

As a very queer, very non-closeted kid, I would have loved to have All Boys Aren't Blue, by @GeorgeMJohnson in my life when I was thirteen or fourteen. It would have been both an eye opener and a source of comfort. I'm not Black, mind you, but I was a very obviously gay, very precocious out kid who loved to read and finding someone who had had similar experiences to the ones I was having would have been invaluable. That's why conservatives want to read this and many other books:

The book is about growing up Black and queer, and always feeling different but not having the words to express it. Over the past couple of years, at least 29 school districts have banned the book because of its LGBTQ content and for being sexually explicit.

"Any time you write a book where you write about your truth, there are going to be people who want to silence that truth," Johnson, who uses they/them pronouns, tells Morning Edition's Leila Fadel.

Conservatives swear kids are not 'sexual' and that may be true of young kids, but after turning thirteen or fourteen, most teens DO have questions about sexuality and/or are sexually active. Some even question things before that age. I am proof of that. What conservatives do not want if for Queer kids to find their tribe, their equals, their peers. They want Queer kids to be isolated, in despair, and therefore, easily manipulated and convinced that they are an abomination.

All Boys Aren't Blue has been banned in many, many places (I'm looking at you, Flori-duh) and I think that it is essential that we keep this kind of book circulating where there is still possible to read them. So, if you have a library card, get thee to your nearest library and check this book out. Who knows? You may like it. Or iff you read and you have a library card (or a budget for books) get books that have LGBTQ characters. Your library card and your credit card are your weapons of choice here. Representation matters, after all. Erasing LGBTQ characters is the bigots' goal. Don't contribute to that.

So what about you, Constant Reader? Were you a late bloomer? A precocious kid like me? Never even thought about sex until you were out of high school? Go ahead, tell us. It'll be between us and the internet...

XOXO

P.S. Oh, by the way, it's not about 'protecting the kids'. It's bigotry, homophobia and fascism:


@JuddLegum






Comments

  1. ohhh I was so shy and complex...
    [There's also amazon to get that book]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot imagine you shy, Xersex!
      Complex? Yes. Shy? I can't picture you.

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. but you can't belive me because NOW I'm a piggest man. A slut! so proud to be!

      Delete
    3. Sluts are my favorite kind of people, Xersex.

      XOXO

      Delete
    4. Because they've a piggy and a funny mind!

      Delete
  2. Big says,
    Of course they want ANY book with an LGBTQ character or storyline to be removed from all places. They want the LGBTQ community erased, wiped out. DuhSantis now lies about all of that on the campaign trail. But, we must remember that he and Flori-duh aren't the only places this is happening. The country will be pushed into the Dark Ages if these people get their way. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do.
      They want erasure of everything they don't like. Like that's a good enough reason. And the country is on its way to the Dark Ages already!

      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Deliberately keeping young people in ignorance about their own selves and world is cruelty, pure and simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their GOAL is indeed the cruelty.
      On everything they do. They are twisted and vicious.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9/29/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    Illinois is the first state to ban book banning statewide. Any public library that bans books will lose public funding. There were screams from the “downstate” counties that are mostly Red. The only thing that makes Illinois a Blue state is largely the Chicago area. And we are seeing collar counties around Chicago that have traditionally been Red are turning Purple and Blue.

    Growing up I was unsure of my feelings. All of my older brothers were into sports and girls. I liked girls, but also had feelings for some of the cute boys. I was a very late bloomer due to being very introverted. Having access to something like this would have probably changed my life.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, babes.
      That's why the repugs LOATHE JB Pritzker. Loathe him. Because he does not let them be the hateful beings they are.
      And you are right: Chicago is what makes Illinois 'blue'. Twenty miles outside of Chi, it's hell.
      And what the bigots want is for LGBTQ people to feel despair, that they are alone. Ugh.

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Conservatives who say kids aren't sexual have never seen a baby boy with his little boner humping his blanky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book needs to be available and read by queer Black youth to know that they belong and they are loved and accepted and wanted.
    And it needs to be read by all young queerlings because they can find themselves in it, too.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SERIOUSLY!
      It was such an experience! And I'm not even Black!
      But I could totally relate to his journey. Many a queer kid will see themselves in this bool.

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. I wish I would have had books like that too. Then I could have known what it was called that I was. I too was never in the closet. So to me gay has always been normal. And I wasn't too much further behind you when it came to boys and sex. My first encounter was with my cousin followed by a week later with my next door neighbor friend. I didn't become a full fledged slutt until I got in high school. I didn't get the name Bleacher Betty for nothing. My closest friend Derek, I guess you could say we were "bros"... we were having sex together the whole way through high school. Of course there was also the random boys I would hang out with, somehow dicks always ended up out!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely.
      You and I have never been in 'the closet' so the experience of being queer has not been THAT traumatic. But many people go through literally hell. Ugh.
      And I can just imagine you in High School. Oh, we would have benn a TERROR together! LMAOO

      XOXO

      Delete
  8. This is one of the books that my book club voted on. We ended up reading Endpapers instead--which was good as well. I hope it is back on the voting poll. Our next book has already been voted on and we have begun reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG
      You totally should suggest it for a later date. So engrossing. So relatable.
      I recommend it.

      XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Sembrar sin miedo - [image: Todo sobre el cultivo de la amapola - Jardinatis] [image: Secuestran 41 plantas de marihuana en el barrio Lavalle de Viedma – Policía de Rio...
    20 hours ago
  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    2 days ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    4 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.