Go back in time

Show more

The Banned Book Club



In the 'freest' country in the world. 

@impact


I read this book. It's 'sexually explicit' because it talks about genitals. In a book about a transgender kid. Duh.


Remember when this was part of most Summer reading lists for high school? I do. I read this book in high school and it made me get interested in learning more about the Great Depression.


This is a graphic novel about guess what's about? A Drama club in a middle school. There's no sex, btw. One -very chaste- kiss and that's all.


This is the most ridiculous one? Captain underpants is a the story of two fourth graders who hypnotize their principal and turn him into a superhero who wonders around in his... underpants fighting zombies and talking toilets. For real.. 


OMG the stupidity. I read this later, probably 2000 (there's a movie, too!) and it came out before Facehook would take over the world but when MySpace was taking off and it probably inspired many people come on Blogger, WordPress and Tumblr. The format is epistolary and very intimate and it deals with the drama that is high school. That's it.



This book has been on my list forever now. Every time I try to read it, I get tangled with a new series (I'm reading J.T. Klune's trilogy now) but I'll get to it. If any of you have read it, let me know!



This is another of those 'AREYOUFUCKINGKIDDINGME' books. I have this book. I got it when I got A Day in the life of Marlon Bundo. It's a delightful book. 



Here's a link to The Banned Books Club. I recommend you visit the link and learn what books are banned in your neck of the woods. You'll be surprised.

Oh, and make sure you buy/borrow from your library one of these (or other) banned books. Generations of Queer kids will thank you for it.

Happy reading!


Comments

  1. The Banned Book Club is great! It's pissing in the face of everyone of those people intent on banning books. Interestingly enough, that number is considerably lower than most people think; it only takes one voice to complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!
      I learned the banning of more than twenty books in several states came from this one spineless cunt or a group of eleven people!! Also, the Utah Parents United.

      XOXO

      Delete
  2. Haven't read any of these but some sound very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll love them!
      Some are downright delightful in the message they leave.


      XOXO

      Delete
  3. Pitiful. Supposedly the freest country and the richest country. And technically we're neither. My advice was banned books has always been if you don't like it simply don't pick it up and read it. I'm sure these people are not losing sleep at night knowing these are on the shelves. God forbid we had real issues to worry about in this country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's literally the White Minority Rule.
      Banning books written by and for LGBTQ BIPOC. Pitiful.
      These people thrive in their notoriety and their anonymity. Eleven people are causing most of these bans. Eleven.

      XOXO

      Delete
  4. Big says,
    Not a single book has been banned in this area. Yeah, I hit the link to check. 😁 We're pretty damned "live and let live" around these parts - which is probably why the drag queens don't get bothered, either.
    I've decided to devote the week to Banned Books. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!
      We are lucky, living in states that have a Dem governor or that is not crawling with bigots.
      And I love you're dedicating the week to Banned Books!

      XOXO

      Delete
  5. Our book club leader is speaking out against the banning of books. He gave a great speech at one of the forums. I wished it had been recorded. It was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!
      Love that. I would join a Book Club reading Banned Books in a heartbeat.

      XOXO

      Delete
  6. Anonymous10/03/2023

    HuntleyBiGuy:
    So I checked my area to see if there have been any books banned. Not surprisingly, there were none in this red/slightly purple section of Illinois.

    I checked my library app (which reminds me, time to renew my card) and some of the books were not owned by my library, but were available at other libraries in our sharing system, so I could request it and it would be shipped to my town’s library. I wonder if a local library bans a book, but another library in the system has it, if you would be able to get it.

    XOXO 👨🏼‍❤️‍💋‍👨🏽

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big says,
      Another library might have a title that yours doesn't; it's possible (but very rare) for a librarian to refuse to stock a book. But if it's on the Banned list anywhere, you could buy it and donate it to them. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Same.
      My local library always gets me the books I need. And most are banned. They even have a little book showcase with Banned Books right now!
      And I always do interlibrary loans. Buying and donating Banned Books is such a great idea!

      XOXO

      Delete
  7. This idea here seems like a wise and constructive action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes.
      Big is bringing it this week!

      XOXO

      Delete
    2. Big says,
      Awww, thanks you guys. Big smooches!! XOXO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, give it to me.

Translate

Followers

Popular Posts

En otra lengua

  • Los estudiantes - Me encontraba todavía en el periplo familiar de lado a lado del Atlántico cuando todo comenzó. Noticias e imágenes aterradoras llenaban las páginas de ...
    1 day ago
  • El amigo imaginario de mi madre. - Relato de Pablo Castignani Dicen que los niños suelen tener amigos imaginarios. Dicen también que algunos ancianos llegan a comportarse como niños....
    3 days ago
  • Revolución en marchas - [image: Venezuela: Dos marchas pacíficas, ¿y todo sigue igual? – SurySur] En enero de 2001 un capricho de Hugo Chávez propició la inauguración de las m...
    6 days ago
  • WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS - Ariana Grande me pilló a mi ya un poco... eso, grande (¿risas? ). Seguramente hace unos años se me hubiera hecho el trasero pesi-cola con ella y la notic...
    2 weeks ago
  • - En los días que se han convertido en años, en tiempo que transcurre y sin entenderme a mi mismo en mis angustias, en mis silencios, en mis ruidos que no c...
    4 years ago

Restricted to Adults

Restricted to Adults
Under 18? Beat it. Now.